Author Topic: Another fitting Kool Stop pads thread  (Read 4603 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Another fitting Kool Stop pads thread
« on: 15 September, 2009, 01:32:17 pm »
I got some Kool Stop H3 Campy 2000 shoes & pads to replace the Campagnolo pads that are currently on my bike. According to the Kool Stop website, what I've got should fit Campagnolo brakes from 2000 onwards. The brakes I have are Campagnolo Mirage and I'm assuming it's the 2008 model, considering I got the bike in 2008 (and at any rate they'll be post 2000). So it seems like I've got the right stuff, but the allen head bolt thingies that I pointed to here:
are wider than the brake callipers. I've heard of people filing out their callipers, but I thought the H3 Campy 2000 shoes were designed to avoid this problem? Or am I doing something stupid?

Secondly, I assume the thicker washer goes between the brake shoe and the calliper and the thinner washer goes to the other side of the calliper like so?:

The instructions from the Kool Stop website don't really help, esp. as the picture of what's labelled H3 Campy 2000 looks different to what's sitting in front of me ???.

Now, off to the rant thread about fettling bikes.....
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Another fitting Kool Stop pads thread
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2009, 01:47:26 pm »
but the allen head bolt thingies that I pointed to here:
The thicker ones are Shimano.  I have force fitted Shimano into Campag stirrups under duress. Why not fit your new blocks (pads in newspeak) into your existing shoes (cartridges in newspeak)?  Although perhaps Mirage did not come with separate blocks/shoes.

Secondly, I assume the thicker washer goes between the brake shoe and the calliper and the thinner washer goes to the other side of the calliper like so.
Correct

αdαmsκι

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2009, 01:54:32 pm »
The thicker ones are Shimano.
Understood. However, the ones I bought are meant to be Campagnolo ones, so they should be narrow enough to fit through the Campagnolo stirrups.

Why not fit your new blocks (pads in newspeak) into your existing shoes (cartridges in newspeak)?  Although perhaps Mirage did not come with separate blocks/shoes.
Correct, the Mirage brake blocks that are trashed aren't separate blocks/shoes.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2009, 02:42:39 pm »
I have various pairs of Campagnolo dual-pivots dating back all the way to 1994 and I have a vague feeling that I encountered something similar... maybe when I put newer shoes in older calipers?

Anyway, have a look at the 2008 spare parts diagrams, you'll notice that the pad bolt for Mirage has a different number to Veloce & upwards. Maybe Kool Stop don't realise that Mirage are different.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2009, 03:05:45 pm »
Ditch  campag version. Shimano v better anyway. Only need SLIGHT filing. Do it!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2009, 02:55:10 pm »
I have recently fitted campag replacement Koolstops they are very hard to get in Fairy liquid was my friend .
The stopping power of the pink pads is awsome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2009, 06:20:33 pm »
Shimano version of kool stop: pads fit easily.

504steve

« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2009, 04:11:55 pm »
adamski what was the final answer to this? I have campag mirage brakes and wanted to know if it is possible to change the campag one piece block into a cartridge system to fit other pads just like this but have never found the answer.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2009, 10:37:52 pm »
Get the Shimano version of Kool Stop Holders and slightly file the caliper slots if necessary.  (Some years of Mirage need filing, some don't.  Not more than a LITTLE filing is needed anyway).  That's what I've done with Mirage and other Campag brakes.

504steve

« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2009, 06:09:30 pm »
cheers for the info. Been wondering what to try next. Have been using original campag mirage pads but was wanting something better for the wet. Kool stops seem to get good reviews so will try them next.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2009, 03:52:20 pm »
Getting the Koolstop pads I bought to fit the bike was a pain in the ar$e. First I had to file out the calipers. Once I had done that, I discovered that the pads rubbed against the rims despite slackening off the brakes as much as possible. To overcome that issue I had to file down the washer a bit, too. So far I've only fitted the Koolstop pads to the front brake. I couldn't be bothered with the faff for the rear and that's now got some Campagnolo pads I had kicking around. They took about 10 mins to fit, opposed to the agggges filing stuff to get the Koolstop pads to fit.

Saying that, they seem to have amazing stopping power, tho I've not tested them properly. Hopefully the Shimano ones are easier to fit then the H3 Campy ones!

504steve

« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2009, 08:52:47 pm »
Would probably only do the front like you.  Could do with more stopping in the wet over the stock campag pads. Let us all know if they are much better next time it rains. Then we will know if the effort is worth it. Cheers.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2009, 09:01:47 pm »
1 brand, 1 word: SwissStop

Pay more; get more.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

αdαmsκι

« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2009, 09:03:46 pm »
I was actually about to update this thread as I used the newly fettled bike today. The stopping power at the front is brilliant and far better than before. However, I now feel that the stopping power is uneven because the Koolstop pads are soooo much better than the Campag ones. I've no idea what SwissStop pads are like.

I'll update this thread when I've been out in the rain.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2009, 01:47:55 pm »
1 brand, 1 word: SwissStop

Pay more; get more.

Get more bits of metal embedded in the pads, IME.