Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750726 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6075 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:03:23 am »
Further to my earlier post, I intend to attend the local leisure facility this evening that does not have any prospect of ice inside or hidden pot holes (just have the cycle there and back).
Oops. Tonight's route included Bumfords Lane, I should have known better as the flooding was about a foot deep and hid a pothole that my front wheel dropped into. So a millisecond later I find myself lying on my back in the newly named Bumfords Lane Lido!

I rest my case   ;D

Maybe I should have been following with the camera recording the moment for hilarious review.  Hope you're not feeling too sore this morning  :-*
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6076 on: 22 January, 2015, 02:25:06 pm »
Mrs DL confirmed that you were in attendance at the sports centre last night apparently she was in the same class as you!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6077 on: 22 January, 2015, 03:59:01 pm »
I seem to be in PLANNING mode at the moment: I'll probably start another thread....but how about some late winter/early spring day rides?

'WARTY' type, easy pace, dip in or out as you please; Elevenses, Pub Lunch and Tea, WAGs and Littluns welcome. Don't know if that counts as PBP training, but all miles are good  :thumbsup:

Looking at my calendar [and there are lots of 'bookings' already, what with Audaxes and Helpers' Rides, and the need to placate the family  ;D] possible dates are:

Sat 7th & 14th Feb
Sun 8th March
[Easter] Mon 6th April

« Reply #6078 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:50:41 am »
All Miles are Good Miles I think will be my mantra for this year...it sounds better than the Tesco line of 'Every Little Helps'

I'm likely up for some of this riding if I can balance out the home life. Feb is pretty quiet at the moment and I need to put a 200 in for the RRtY. My 40th is during the week of the 14th so I would be happy to by a round of tea and cake unless i have been whisked away to some foreign land!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6079 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:24:14 am »
I went spinning for the first time this morning. Excellent it was!

« Reply #6080 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:04:29 am »
Spinning not Swimming....good stuff.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6081 on: 23 January, 2015, 05:51:46 pm »
I'm leaning towards the 14th Feb for a ride, as it's a couple of weeks after 'Horses for Course', though 7th is still ok too. Short enough ride to cope with St V's Day celebrations later - who knows, some WAGs may come along on the ride too, or meet for a pub lunch?

I'm thinking of a tootle round the upper Rivers Blackwater/Pant and Chelmer....Witham start, about 70 miles; Braintree...probably around 40.

By the way, Soupy and I have tickets for the London Bike Show on 13th [as I believe Doggers Lane does too] - Soupy has Uni in the morning but is aiming to write a report on the show for the UAL student paper ['Artefact'], having just done a pro-cycle-commuting piece, in reply to a sub-Clarkson anti-cycling rant in a previous edition.

The Retiree

« Reply #6082 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:54:25 am »
Like the idea pf this ride Tomsk will hopefully be able to partake for some part of it possibly with Mrs DL and little un in tow! I see you have now started a seperate thread.

You are correct I do indeed have tickets for the London Bike Show on Friday 13th, I am hoping to use a days leave and get there for 11am.

Looking ahead at wednesday I shall be out, OD do you fancy resurrecting your ride from last week (initial route if you like) if you're around? Hopefully we will be able to stay in the saddle this week!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6083 on: 26 January, 2015, 12:06:56 pm »
Depends on the weather! What's the forecast?

The Retiree

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6085 on: 26 January, 2015, 12:35:28 pm »
In that case we could resurrect last weeks route without the Bumfords Lane Lido!

The Retiree

« Reply #6086 on: 26 January, 2015, 12:38:04 pm »
In that case we could resurrect last weeks route without the Bumfords Lane Lido!

:thumbsup: any other takers.......?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6087 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:10:17 pm »
I'm a no due to man flu  :sick: and decorating duties  :facepalm:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6088 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:47:43 pm »
Yup, can do Wednesday :thumbsup:

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #6089 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:37:44 pm »
Barring Boss/offspring intervention should be ok.

« Reply #6090 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:58:50 pm »
I'm going to give it  a miss this week. Big day out on Saturday so will be aiming to get home for the family during the week.  :( (although a couple of cheeky extra miles might find their way into my commute....)

« Reply #6091 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:19:43 am »
I should be ok for tomorrow night unless work gets in the way

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6092 on: 28 January, 2015, 09:18:54 am »
This evening ...

Barring real life interventions I should be OK for 7:30pm at Spa Road roundabout. 

I have a proposed route which avoids the Bumfords Lane Lido.  It's only 31.6 miles and I will only stop for a qualifying pint (to earn the GBG tick) as I have a busy day tomorrow.  Please don't let me drag you out of the pub, I'm more than happy to ride back on me own.

« Reply #6093 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:08:11 am »
Sounds good OD a quick pint then home. I also have a busy week at work moving machines from one factory to another.Be good to get home on the same day we left.  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #6094 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:22:05 am »
Sounds good OD a quick pint then home. I also have a busy week at work moving machines from one factory to another.Be good to get home on the same day we left.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: to echo the words of Oros a quick pint sounds good to me and nice to have a Weds return rather than Thurs! May use the extra time in the bank to peel off as we approach Peverel and return to Witham via Terling  ;D

« Reply #6095 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:26:26 pm »
A return to witham via Terling sounds good as long as the temp dont drop roads a bit wet so could be a bit of ice about

The Retiree

« Reply #6096 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:34:55 pm »
A return to witham via Terling sounds good as long as the temp dont drop roads a bit wet so could be a bit of ice about

Hopefully should be ok this evening Oros if this is correct  :thumbsup: : http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/chelmsford/cm2-0/hourly-weather-forecast/328072?hour=20

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6097 on: 28 January, 2015, 02:17:47 pm »
I won't be around tonight since my colonial colleagues have scheduled meetings during prime MEMWNS time.

Hopefully all of the "interesting" weather is now finished for the day (I had horizontal hail on my way back from the Blue Egg this morning).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6098 on: 28 January, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »
***Nothing to do with this evening's ride***
I am very soon going to be putting in an order to Rose bikes for dyno lights if anyone didn't get everything they wanted when OD put his order in a few weeks ago or now have new requirements.  My order will probably be placed early next week or at the weekend if no further interest from the assembled brethren.  Let me know if you'd like to piggy back on my order.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6099 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:58:12 am »
Quite a pleasant ride last night.  No sign of ice and I was pleased the rain had gone away, the blustery headwind added to the training benefit and blew us home.

The Oddfellows Arms is OK, it was probably quite characterful until it got done up and made all trendy.  My single pint of Maldon Gold (thank you DL) was very tasty.

Judging by the look on his face I think Tomsk was genuinely surprised when I announced I was off after just one pint and the rest of the Witham peloton decided to join me - sorry Tom  :-*  We left the pub at about 10pm and 30 or so minutes later my back gate hove into view.

Edit ...

By the way, I have now ridden to 53 of the 110 Essex pubs in the 2013 edition of the Good Beer Guide.  Many of the remainder are further away and, as we discussed, will make good objectives for PBP non-audax training rides to be ridden between qualifying and the event itself.