Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750830 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6675 on: 29 April, 2015, 08:50:08 am »
Anyhow, enough talk of vans. Do we have a route for tonight and who's coming out?
By van?  I have room for several bikes and 2 passengers in the front  ;D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6676 on: 29 April, 2015, 08:57:03 am »
Yeah, I'm still winning, my van is far more streamlined, just look at the size of that satellite dish - you'd have thought Sir Dave would have whipped that off straight away for the small gain!!
I'll also have versions of everything else mentioned with the exception of the masseuse....any volunteers?

Plus your bikes are probably more comfortable for a 600k audax than a Dogma........!

Anyhow, enough talk of vans. Do we have a route for tonight and who's coming out?

I shall be in attendance this evening  ;D

« Reply #6677 on: 29 April, 2015, 01:02:22 pm »
I'll meet you all at the compasses after my return from the Midlands (nice it is out here!) I'll be coming over courtesy of an oil burning lump of Aluminium, Glass and Rubber, make sure you are riding single file for your own safety  ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6678 on: 29 April, 2015, 01:17:31 pm »
I'll be there, but as already mentioned, probably setting off later than other Withamites so making my own way there...  what time are we planning to congregate at the Compasses?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6679 on: 29 April, 2015, 01:52:47 pm »
There was talk of this week not being the club run team TT stylee of the last few weeks and being a little more relaxed.  I'm assuming the classic 90 minute route via TMNH so arrive in the Compasses for around 9pm, maybe a little later if some bonus miles are tagged in along the route, say 9:30pm at the latest?

« Reply #6680 on: 29 April, 2015, 01:58:05 pm »
I shall put a few miles in first then arrive at OD's back gate around 19:15 in the hope that he might make me a cup of tea before the off  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6681 on: 29 April, 2015, 01:59:40 pm »
There was talk of this week not being the club run team TT stylee of the last few weeks and being a little more relaxed.  I'm assuming the classic 90 minute route via TMNH so arrive in the Compasses for around 9pm, maybe a little later if some bonus miles are tagged in along the route, say 9:30pm at the latest?

Excellent, we'll all follow you then!

I shall put a few miles in first then arrive at OD's back gate around 19:15 in the hope that he might make me a cup of tea before the off  :P

:thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6682 on: 29 April, 2015, 02:46:27 pm »
I have 20.5 miles and 28 miles options available, the longer takes in the bonus peak through Little Braxted.
ETAs at the Compasses 9pm and 9:30pm respectively.  If I get chance to share them on a GPS website I will, otherwise you'll just have to listen out for me shouting at you ahead of me  ::-)

The Retiree

« Reply #6683 on: 29 April, 2015, 02:51:01 pm »
I have 20.5 miles and 28 miles options available, the longer takes in the bonus peak through Little Braxted.
ETAs at the Compasses 9pm and 9:30pm respectively.  If I get chance to share them on a GPS website I will, otherwise you'll just have to listen out for me shouting at you ahead of me  ::-)

28 mile option ridden at moderate pace for arrival at 9pm  :o  ;D

« Reply #6684 on: 29 April, 2015, 02:59:16 pm »
"Bonus peak," "moderate pace," "TMNH" - an easy night then  ::-)

I will not be taking the 60 mile round trip option from Mersea so if I do make it then it will be from Spa with the Witham peloton.

Looking forward to the MEMWNS nutritionists explaining how a curry and several beers is the ideal preparation for a 400k ride...
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6685 on: 29 April, 2015, 03:08:16 pm »
Looking forward to the MEMWNS nutritionists explaining how a curry and several beers is the ideal preparation for a 400k ride...

Pretty much the old school 'Choppy' Warburton style approach to athletic excellence, oh no silly me, that was amphetamines  ;D

The Retiree

« Reply #6686 on: 29 April, 2015, 03:11:02 pm »

I will not be taking the 60 mile round trip option from Mersea so if I do make it then it will be from Spa with the Witham peloton.

Ted the moderate pace I believe has been curtailed for this evenings ride as per Huggys comment up thread, however TMNH and Bonus Peak will still stand.....

« Reply #6687 on: 29 April, 2015, 03:32:37 pm »
I'll be Averaging about 40 mph and not be tired for the effort  ;D

« Reply #6688 on: 29 April, 2015, 03:37:32 pm »
Tippers, I thought you did anyway.

I am happy with any pace, peaks, length of ride tonight within reason (not saying I'll necessarily keep up).

It's next week I want to be a bit easier before A&S.  Not sure I'm quite ready to hoon around until 1am on Wednesday/Thursday morning, drink beer, eat curry and then sprint round 400k - or maybe it's a case of MTFU.

The Retiree

« Reply #6689 on: 29 April, 2015, 03:44:04 pm »
Tippers, I thought you did anyway.

I am happy with any pace, peaks, length of ride tonight within reason (not saying I'll necessarily keep up).

It's next week I want to be a bit easier before A&S.  Not sure I'm quite ready to hoon around until 1am on Wednesday/Thursday morning, drink beer, eat curry and then sprint round 400k - or maybe it's a case of MTFU.

Looking forward to your plotted route next week Ted, you can also be pacemaker to keep speeding riders in check :thumbsup:

« Reply #6690 on: 29 April, 2015, 04:09:46 pm »
It will be like following Huggy's caravan (the one he's about to buy to go with the van ;D) in a Ferrari.

« Reply #6691 on: 29 April, 2015, 08:10:37 pm »
bastard trains. We sat outside Watford Junction for 1 whole hour. Nearly at Liverpool street. Hopi g to make the compasses for 9:30ish

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6692 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:30:43 am »

The Retiree

« Reply #6693 on: 30 April, 2015, 01:07:54 pm »
So we were back to the familiar stomping ground of The Compasses last night to present Joss with the MEMWNS syndicate Marsh Gibbon tea towel which looked great in it's frame! (well done Tomsk  :thumbsup: ) he didn't seem overly impressed with our efforts however I understand it will be proudly hung in the corridor by the bogs.......  ;D

The Witham peloton comprised of myself, Huggy, OD, Ted, Andy C33 & Bobb and with the emphasis this week on lower miles and a slower pace we set off following Huggy's plotted route up to Wickham Bishops then across to TMNH with a gentle trundle up before heading to Boreham and onto The Compasses all taken at a gentle pace rather than the TT efforts of previous weeks as mentioned by Huggy post thread.

A nice couple of pints of Felstar were consumed having met Tomsk, Oaky & Tippers at the booozer all in all a top evening of beer n bikes as per usual  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6694 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:48:47 pm »
Good route last night.

Enjoyed my first visit to the "real" Compasses but I now have Huffer envy after watching DL tuck into his.

The look of sorrow on DL's face when we didn't turn down Hurrells almost made up for how far ahead he was at the top of TMNH.  Let's hope the signals of encouragement show up nicely on his Go Pro.

Next week, with A&S in mind, why don't we complete the set and visit the Totham Compasses.  It's a reasonable distance from there to home for everyone (except Tomsk but he never seems to mind  O:-)).

I really will do a route to the Plough, the Anchor, the YC or somewhere - maybe after the Flatlands when the nights are lighter and the SR is done ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6695 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:50:44 pm »
^^^  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6696 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:04:57 pm »
I'll take that as a yes for next week then.

Here's the route, feel free to turn it into a GPX track.

Leave home, ride to the Compasses at Totham, ride back home.

That's my first route done.  It wasn't so bad after all.

The Retiree

« Reply #6697 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:05:49 pm »
I'll take that as a yes for next week then.

Here's the route, feel free to turn it into a GPX track.

Leave home, ride to the Compasses at Totham, ride back home.

That's my first route done.  It wasn't so bad after all.

Where's the 2 peaks within that route Ted.....  :o

« Reply #6698 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:18:00 pm »
It's a micro arrows type affair next week.  You can add as many peaks/miles/dogging spots as you like as long as you end up at the Compasses at about 9 (Huggy wants an early night).

The Retiree

« Reply #6699 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:23:29 pm »
It's a micro arrows type affair next week.  You can add as many peaks/miles/dogging spots as you like as long as you end up at the Compasses at about 9 (Huggy wants an early night).

Ah bless Huggy, we do have to incorporate a peak I guess to haul ourselves up to Wickham Bishops