Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750582 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6850 on: 01 June, 2015, 04:09:59 pm »
Mmmmh the Blue Boar is always a good shout.  Not right on the sea though.

Queens Head has a nasty little ramp back up to the High Street.  DL can do repeats on that while we test the pumps.

I will head out towards TMNH and over from that way and may bump into the Witham/Dunmow peloton on the way.  Hopefully on two legs this week.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6851 on: 01 June, 2015, 04:13:57 pm »
I'm in Hull. Have fun folks  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6852 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:20:38 pm »
So...Queens Head, Maldon? Or Blue Boar, or Heybridge pubs??
I'd venture that the Queen's Head as an outside venue may be a little early in the year and weather dependant, possibly doesn't strike me as an indoor venue but willing to be persuaded otherwise.  The Blue Boar gets a regular Christmas/Epiphany visit, can't remember the last MEMWNS visit there.
How about meeting at the Queen's Head beer 'garden' on the quay and adjourning to the Blue Boar if necessary?  They may even have the fire burning if it's chilly!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6853 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:33:41 pm »
Jolly good...I think I can make it this week to bore you all about  my new wheel truing rig and spoke key

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6854 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:59:10 am »
I'm in Hull. Have fun folks  :thumbsup:

Is that Hull or Hell  ;D

Queens Head has a nasty little ramp back up to the High Street.  DL can do repeats on that while we test the pumps.

Sound of rummaging whilst I dig out that violin again  :facepalm: bless........  :P

How about meeting at the Queen's Head beer 'garden' on the quay and adjourning to the Blue Boar if necessary?  They may even have the fire burning if it's chilly!

There's also always the Jolly Sailor across the way to sit out or inside although I'm not sure on ale selection having not frequented in a wee while!?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6855 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:46:20 am »

:thumbsup: There is a less vertiginous way back up to the High St from the Quay.

The Retiree

« Reply #6856 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:51:52 am »
:thumbsup: There is a less vertiginous way back up to the High St from the Quay.

Ted will be delighted to hear that  :o

« Reply #6857 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:52:11 am »
Don't tell DL.

He's going up the steep way playing a violin on a Brompton.

« Reply #6858 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:08:23 am »
I'm in Edinburgh this week, but should be up for a bit of MEMWNS action next week. Although I know advanced planning is frowned upon  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

The Retiree

« Reply #6859 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:12:04 am »
Don't tell DL.

He's going up the steep way playing a violin on a Brompton.

Tis true tis true......  ;D  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6860 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:56:45 am »
Yesterday evening we ate at the The Compasses, Great Totham - very nice it was.  Tasty, hot, well priced pub food with a good standard of service.  Top notch.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6861 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:13:08 am »
Yesterday evening we ate at the The Compasses, Great Totham - very nice it was.  Tasty, hot, well priced pub food with a good standard of service.  Top notch.
Did you top up your loyalty card?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6862 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:48:41 am »
Did you top up your loyalty card?

No as it was in one of my Magic Bags TM

I did point out their compasses faux pas again at which point I was bundled out of the pub by the Essex blonde I'd just treated to dinner.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6863 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:37:11 pm »
Here is proposed route for this evening via Tiptree and Tollshunt D'Arcy for the opportunity to collect collect waifs along the way.  Usual 7:30 departure from Witham.

« Reply #6864 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:56:28 pm »
Without wanting to sound like a spoil sport I think the route from Layer Marney (Woodview Road) to Abbotts Wick Lane/Colchester Road is not a public right of way (although I am happy to be proved wrong) It's not a long extension though Layer Bretton and over the Reservoir though so we can always check it out and back track if required.

The Retiree

« Reply #6865 on: 03 June, 2015, 02:09:17 pm »
Thanks for the route Huggy, I also managed to plot one in my lunch break but you beat me to it on publishing on here!

Without wanting to sound like a spoil sport I think the route from Layer Marney (Woodview Road) to Abbotts Wick Lane/Colchester Road is not a public right of way (although I am happy to be proved wrong) It's not a long extension though Layer Bretton and over the Reservoir though so we can always check it out and back track if required.

Having checked the trusted Streetview Tippers is correct this is a private road so we will need to reroute through Layer Bretton as Tippers has suggested!  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6866 on: 03 June, 2015, 02:19:02 pm »
Thanks for the route Huggy, I also managed to plot one in my lunch break but you beat me to it on publishing on here!

Having checked the trusted Streetview Tippers is correct this is a private road so we will need to reroute through Layer Bretton as Tippers has suggested!  :thumbsup:
Ok, I've updated the route on RWGPS, cut 5km off the distance!

The Retiree

« Reply #6867 on: 03 June, 2015, 02:22:31 pm »

Or Huggy we could go with the original route but follow Winters Road up to Layer Breton then down Layer Breton Hill to meet up with your original route again on the B1026  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6868 on: 03 June, 2015, 02:25:10 pm »

Or Huggy we could go with the original route but follow Winters Road up to Layer Breton then down Layer Breton Hill to meet up with your original route again on the B1026  ;D
We could, although that is bonus miles and I was being kind to our potential new member  ;)

The Retiree

« Reply #6869 on: 03 June, 2015, 02:29:34 pm »
We could, although that is bonus miles and I was being kind to our potential new member  ;)

Fair point  ;D I might opt for the slightly extended route and get the toe down to try and catch you back up along the 1026  ;)

« Reply #6870 on: 03 June, 2015, 04:14:39 pm »
I've just spotted the missing part of Huggy's route.

If you lot aren't doing TMNH then I'm sure as hell not !

I will head towards Salcott and up Barnhall expecting to see you all coming the other way then enjoy watching DL disappear up Market Hill while the Hustler sandbags quietly behind him  ;)

The Retiree

« Reply #6871 on: 03 June, 2015, 04:19:52 pm »
I've just spotted the missing part of Huggy's route.

If you lot aren't doing TMNH then I'm sure as hell not !

I will head towards Salcott and up Barnhall expecting to see you all coming the other way then enjoy watching DL disappear up Market Hill while the Hustler sandbags quietly behind him  ;)

Huggy decided to mix things up as we climb TMNH pretty much every week  :o but don't let us hold you back as I know you're keen to take a little trundle up it!!  ;D :thumbsup:

Of course you could alawys climb Market Hill with me if you wish......?

« Reply #6872 on: 03 June, 2015, 04:25:19 pm »
No, you're fine.

I'll keep an eye on the Hustler, make sure no money is changing hands if there are new riders.

The Retiree

« Reply #6873 on: 03 June, 2015, 04:31:15 pm »
No, you're fine.

I'll keep an eye on the Hustler, make sure no money is changing hands if there are new riders.

Fair enough you could always join me on the extra loop and we can play cat & mouse trying to chase down the main peloton.....?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6874 on: 03 June, 2015, 04:31:38 pm »
As is becoming more frequent these days work is conspiring against a prompt departure for me again this evening, please don't wait for me if I'm not not there at 7:30.