Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750402 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7875 on: 07 October, 2015, 05:47:32 pm »
I'm going to be out tonight.

I will try to make the Spa Rd rbt for 7:30... it seems that going that way then on to Peg Millar's is only about 100 metres longer for me than my usual Blunts Hall route to there.

If I'm not there, don't wait up - I'll see you at the pub or before if I'm lucky.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7876 on: 07 October, 2015, 06:53:30 pm »
Plan B in operation, in Fleece Chelmsford, Maldon Maple Mild in hand and inspecting the pie menu..... Have a good night chaps.
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7877 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:13:52 pm »
Plan B in operation, in Fleece Chelmsford, Maldon Maple Mild in hand and inspecting the pie menu..... Have a good night chaps.
I won't bother with the bar bag tonight then  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7878 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:24:16 pm »
Yep sorry Grant, maybe next time.. :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7879 on: 08 October, 2015, 07:39:40 am »
I was a bit confused yesterday evening. I lost the peloton as I got to the top of Holy Bread Lane and thought I saw them sprinting up TMNH. Then shortly before the Hurdlemakers a fast moving group of riders passed me going the other way, I thought it might have been the MEMWNS crew and I was having an uncharacteristic navigational moment. Then when I got to the pub I found only Tomsk and tippers there!  The rest turned up a few minutes later. They had turn left down the TMNH to claim an official ascent so had been behind me all the time!

Anyhow we had a good evening and tippers has accepted the challenge of organising the Epiphany Do.

Oh by the way, Spa do indeed have studded tyres at a bargain price but they are even cheaper at Rose Bikes. Does anyone fancy clubbing together on an order and sharing the P&P costs. Rose are normally well cheap for Shimano and B+M gear.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7880 on: 08 October, 2015, 04:57:55 pm »
Rose Bikes order update ...

My knackered B+M front light is due to be replaced by Rose in the next day or so.  I have persuaded them to include some stuff in the package thus avoiding packing costs so if anyone wants anything from Rose please shout now as I want to place the order tomorrow.

I'm having a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winter spiked tyres for Fred.  Rose have them for £19.11 plus P&P, they are £30 everywhere else.  Like I said last night I'd rather not ride if there's a risk of ice as even spiked tyres aren't infallible.  But the thought of missing the Epiphany Do because of a bit of ice is too much to bear so worth the risk of a tumble.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7881 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:03:04 pm »
I have seen the light... or rather the flickering light from my B&M light when I spin the front wheel!  ;D 

I am sort of looking forward to it getting dark now so I can test it out...  I did however screw up the order and purchase the light with a 160cm remote switch lead!  From inspection it should be an easy de-solder and trim job but I might leave it for now just in case it stops working and I have to send it back...

I also had to modify the crown mount to allow the lamp to fit under the gear cables... Happy days!  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7882 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »
160cm!  Why on earth would you want such a long cable?  What are B+M thinking of???

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7883 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:18:02 pm »
For recumbent apparently!  So I could let others take turns riding behind me and making the decision of if the lights should be on or off perhaps, or share the charging port with a close by cyclist.....  :D
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7884 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:22:53 pm »
For recumbent apparently!  So I could let others take turns riding behind me and making the decision of if the lights should be on or off perhaps, or share the charging port with a close by cyclist.....  :D

Handy!

« Reply #7885 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:23:18 pm »
160cm is even a big recumbent....you could just about leave the Switch at home!

It might be useful when following the Star in January.....although it might just be my Moon! :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7886 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »
Just been watching the Strava Flyby for last night - a really clever feature.  Somehow, don't ask me how, I did take a slightly different route to Oaky and crew  ::-)

« Reply #7887 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:48:51 pm »
Can you order me 2 x Schwalbe DURANO PLUS SmartGuard road tyre, folding tyre 700 x 23c

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/schwalbe-durano-plus-smartguard-road-tyre-folding-tyre/aid:789335

If you send me your details I can bung you 41.16 British Imperial Credits of the Realm (Plus my share of the postage)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7888 on: 08 October, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »
Yup. Anyone else?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7889 on: 08 October, 2015, 08:40:20 pm »
Just been watching the Strava Flyby for last night - a really clever feature.  Somehow, don't ask me how, I did take a slightly different route to Oaky and crew  ::-)

I noticed that too.  I was going to point it out, but you got there first.  (The different route just before the pub, that is, there's a later deviation on the way home just after hoe Mill Lock which was entirely deliberate on our part).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7890 on: 09 October, 2015, 08:07:35 pm »
If you've been hiding under a rock for the last few hours you might have missed this IMPORTANT DEVELOPMENT!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7891 on: 09 October, 2015, 10:57:01 pm »
160cm!  Why on earth would you want such a long cable?  What are B+M thinking of???
For stoker control of illumination on a tandem?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7892 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:05:42 pm »
Weekend beer drinking in Kent?

So a smidgen over 60 miles from Chelmsford (with rumored camping for them that might be interested)...  route would even include comedy ferry action from Tilbury ....

I'm considering it and have asked them if there is a beer list... plenty of comedy potential.... might be of interest to others... :)

http://www.thefreewheel.pub/the-freewheel-oktoberfest-craft-beer-bicycle-festival/

http://road.cc/content/news/167796-kent-cycling-pub-and-cafe-hosts-beer-bike-themed-oktoberfest

Trains available from Faversham (prob HS1 via Stratford Int.) at 20:59, 21:26, 21:59 as an alternative about £35
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7893 on: 13 October, 2015, 08:27:37 am »
^ That looks brilliant! However, we have our twice-postponed-from-August family do this weekend...which will be fun, though about 6 hours of Saturday will be spent on the M11, A14 and M6  :(

Plan for tomorrow? Referring to the suggestions up-thread: The Vine, Black Notley is one I've not visited before, otherwise some of the Braintree ones?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7894 on: 13 October, 2015, 09:10:40 am »
No worries Tom... I cant make tomorrow, much to my annoyance as I keep looking for opportunities for the dyno to be running :)  I'm up in That London at a leaving do all night, so staying over.

The Freewheel are sending me over a list of beers and accommodation options, booking.com looked about 60-110 quid with a 5-10mile ride which made the £34 train ticket look appealing.
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7895 on: 13 October, 2015, 12:13:56 pm »
Plan for tomorrow? Referring to the suggestions up-thread: The Vine, Black Notley is one I've not visited before, otherwise some of the Braintree ones?
There's probably a reason for not visiting The Vine as the group - Okay and me went there a while ago as a pit stop on the way to see Chief (once OTP) via some off-roading.  We have not had any overriding desire to revisit The Vine, you're not missing much, and if we were to turn up en mass it would be standing room only.
Somewhere Braintree way suits  :)

« Reply #7896 on: 13 October, 2015, 12:16:04 pm »
^ That looks brilliant! However, we have our twice-postponed-from-August family do this weekend...which will be fun, though about 6 hours of Saturday will be spent on the M11, A14 and M6  :(
Must be a DIY in there somewhere?

I guess the King Billy can go on the list?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7897 on: 13 October, 2015, 12:34:06 pm »
I guess the King Billy can go on the list?
Other possibles around that way:
Bell Inn, Panfield
The Swan, Rayne

I don't recall experiences of either of these I have thrown in to the option list, I just notice that they are on my MEMWNS visited pubs DB.  I have a 33 mile anticlockwise route via Great Braxted/Rivenhall/Stisted to The Bell if the committee approves; the refurbished St Anne's Castle could possibly be visited on the way home.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7898 on: 13 October, 2015, 03:57:30 pm »
The Bell visit was a wet night, quiz night too, I seem to recall? it's a Greene King house...

The Swan at Rayne - I don't think I've been to? Passed it a lot though.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7899 on: 13 October, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »
The Bell visit was a wet night, quiz night too, I seem to recall? it's a Greene King house...

The Swan at Rayne - I don't think I've been to? Passed it a lot though.
My route just needs a little fettle to take us to The Swan @ Rayne, is that the consensus for this week?

I have a form for Tomsk and possibly OD to scribble on  :o