Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750646 times)

felstedrider

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #17275 on: 26 January, 2022, 04:05:35 pm »
Is it still an 8:30 start ?

Will stick a loop in beforehand.

« Reply #17276 on: 26 January, 2022, 04:54:01 pm »
Eight thirty start is fine with me.  I need to be away pretty sharp tonight as I have an exam / recertification check at work tomorrow so need to remain clear headed and get plenty of beauty sleep.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17277 on: 26 January, 2022, 05:25:42 pm »
I guess that's just me, Nick, felstedrider and jibers now at the LB?

And me!

:thumbsup: 20:30 is ok - time for an extra little loop maybe!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #17278 on: 26 January, 2022, 05:34:24 pm »
Think I'm not out this evening.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #17279 on: 26 January, 2022, 05:36:31 pm »
I shall be loitering at the Roundabout of Chilly Noses but Rosy Cheeks at 1930hrs if any one fancies joining me.

« Reply #17280 on: 26 January, 2022, 05:46:28 pm »
I guess that's just me, Nick, felstedrider and jibers now at the LB?

And me!

:thumbsup: 20:30 is ok - time for an extra little loop maybe!

Probably be there nearer to 2000 myself, if anybody else fancies?

EDIT: Actually more like 2030 now!

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #17281 on: 26 January, 2022, 06:19:49 pm »
I shall be loitering at the Roundabout of Chilly Noses but Rosy Cheeks at 1930hrs if any one fancies joining me.

:thumbsup:

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #17282 on: 26 January, 2022, 07:09:32 pm »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17283 on: 27 January, 2022, 10:15:28 am »
@BFC, a metre long metal rule has been purchased from the Rain Forest People so I can replicate BJ's comfy riding position on Dakota and Fred.  I suspect Fred's steerer tube will need cutting down eventually which I shall ask you to do  :-*

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17284 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:02:31 pm »
It might be the long top tube on the Surly that makes it an outlier.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17285 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:07:20 pm »
It might be the long top tube on the Surly that makes it an outlier.

Possibly.  In order of discomfort...

Dakota - kills my lower back, left side

Fred (Surly) - used to be comfy, less so these days it seems

BJ - I've always thought the frame (58cm) was too small but he's my most comfy bike

Measurements will be taken and fiddling will commence  :thumbsup:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17286 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:35:04 pm »
I'm an inch shorter than you and my best fit frame has a 57cm top tube. My brother is the same height as me and rides a 56cm.

My Surly is 58 and feels a bit long, I get back ache after an hour or so.

When I was young I rode a 60cm no problem.

Getting too old and rigid for long and low.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17287 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:38:25 pm »
I'm an inch shorter than you and my best fit frame has a 57cm top tube. My brother is the same height as me and rides a 56cm.

My Surly is 58 and feels a bit long, I get back ache after an hour or so.

When I was young I rode a 60cm no problem.

Getting too old and rigid for long and low.

Fred is 60cm which maybe part of the problem.  His stem is also quite long but could easily be replaced.   Also, as you say, age might be starting to play a part as well. 

If my fiddling doesn't do the trick I might go buy myself a proper bike fit. 

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17288 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:46:09 pm »
Snake oil!

Bruv, (who is notoriously tight), had a bit of back pain, so he paid £150 for a bike fit.
After 2 and a half hours of faffing about the guy said "looks about right, we could lower your saddle by 5mm though"🤣

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17289 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:47:46 pm »
He still has back pain!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17290 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:50:40 pm »
Snake oil!

Bruv, (who is notoriously tight), had a bit of back pain, so he paid £150 for a bike fit.
After 2 and a half hours of faffing about the guy said "looks about right, we could lower your saddle by 5mm though"🤣

Yes, buyer beware!  If I do go for a bike fit I shall be seeking some personal recommendations before parting with any cash.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17291 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:54:18 pm »
That was at the most highly recommended place!

« Reply #17292 on: 27 January, 2022, 04:28:11 pm »
I had a bike fit back in 2013 at a place in Shoreditch. All very scientific. After a couple of rides I was starting to get a pain behind both knees. I lowered the saddle by an arbitrary amount, and everything has been fine since. I wouldn't pay for a bike fit again, not for the type of riding we do. Indeed, when you hear of pro riders like Cavendish who is forever tweaking his setup, it does raise questions as to the benefits of a bike fit versus getting the basic setup right and then tweaking for comfort (or performance in his case).

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17293 on: 27 January, 2022, 04:34:05 pm »
I had a bike fit back in 2013 at a place in Shoreditch. All very scientific. After a couple of rides I was starting to get a pain behind both knees. I lowered the saddle by an arbitrary amount, and everything has been fine since. I wouldn't pay for a bike fit again, not for the type of riding we do. Indeed, when you hear of pro riders like Cavendish who is forever tweaking his setup, it does raise questions as to the benefits of a bike fit versus getting the basic setup right and then tweaking for comfort (or performance in his case).

Sound points. 

BFC raised all this yesterday evening and talked me through a few simple but common sense ideas hence me buying a meter long metal ruler today.  I will measure up my 3 bikes using BFC's methodology and see how they compare.  I'd interested in seeing if I can replicate BJ's set up on my other bikes to see what difference that makes.  I will report back!

« Reply #17294 on: 27 January, 2022, 04:40:21 pm »
1. Get saddle position right for pedalling via height and fore / aft.  Change one thing at a time in small amounts.
2. Now adjust reach to get that right via changing stem
3.  Change bars if they are too narrow or too wide for you.  A rule of thumb for drops is they should be width of your shoulders. For drops you can also get shallower drops, ones that come further back and / or a flare in them for better comedy off road control.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17295 on: 27 January, 2022, 04:47:59 pm »
1. Get saddle position right for pedalling via height and fore / aft.  Change one thing at a time in small amounts.
2. Now adjust reach to get that right via changing stem
3.  Change bars if they are too narrow or too wide for you.  A rule of thumb for drops is they should be width of your shoulders. For drops you can also get shallower drops, ones that come further back and / or a flare in them for better comedy off road control.

Useful.

In the past I have not known what's right or wrong so I have guessed and used trial and error.  As you say I have always only moved one thing at a time and by small increments.

Now I have an edge, I have a bike (BJ the Fixie) which feels more comfortable than the other two.  So, if I can replicate BJ's set up on the other two I could end up with 3 comfy bikes.

Or perhaps I might not.  Perhaps its my (nearly) 58 year old body which is letting me down?  Perhaps I need to strengthen my body in some way to make cycling more comfortable?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17296 on: 27 January, 2022, 05:38:30 pm »
Improve your core strength, it worked wonders for me. Improved my back pain, posture and pedalling efficiency. Does wonders for Shermer's neck too Phil.

I've got a book, "Core Advantage" by Tom Danielson. It's cycling specific. Exercises, explanation and workout plans. Highly recommended.

« Reply #17297 on: 27 January, 2022, 05:42:37 pm »
Improve your core strength, it worked wonders for me. Improved my back pain, posture and pedalling efficiency. Does wonders for Shermer's neck too Phil.

I've got a book, "Core Advantage" by Tom Danielson. It's cycling specific. Exercises, explanation and workout plans. Highly recommended.

Didn’t know you’d had Shermer’s Carlos. When was that, and is that why you got the book?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17298 on: 27 January, 2022, 05:46:51 pm »

Mr Danielson is now a little bit better off, thanks for the recommendation 'fandango  :-*

« Reply #17299 on: 27 January, 2022, 06:41:15 pm »

Mr Danielson is now a little bit better off, thanks for the recommendation 'fandango  :-*

and another bit better off now.

If it in any way helps with Shermer's, I am all for it.  Mind you, I suspect I may need to do more than read it.  I may even have to ride a bike or, worse, do some exercise  :sick:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways