Author Topic: Recommendations for 'starter' flash for Canon 550D dslr  (Read 1902 times)

Recommendations for 'starter' flash for Canon 550D dslr
« on: 05 December, 2014, 07:09:26 pm »
Having bagged Lee's pair of lenses earlier this year for the eldest cub, I think that he now needs a better flash facility.   I think something that tilts and swivels but not necessarily Canon.  I use a Metz on my Sony which is awesome but is there anything else out there?

Pre-owned kit is acceptable.

Re: Recommendations for 'starter' flash for Canon 550D dslr
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2014, 08:14:17 pm »
something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yongnuo-YN468-II-YN-468-II-TTL-ETTL-Flash-Speedlite-For-Canon-450D-400D-30D-/181124175519?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item2a2bd7969f would be a good start, it's got ettl for auto, swivels, tilts and zooms and can work as a master or slave for if he wants to expand in the future and it's reasonably powerful

yongno flashes arent brilliantly made, but for 50 quid you can get through half a dozen before you've spent the same as a similarly powerful canon unit...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2014, 01:21:39 pm »
I think Yongnuo have it sewn up at the budget end now. The price of Canon Speedlights is ridiculous.

Beware anything from 35mm days as they can run quite high currents through the trigger and damage a modern DSLR.  It's a shame as I have a Vivitar 283 I could use (but have read warning about).

I'll be getting a Yongnuo at some point and running the Vivitar off a slave.  METZ 44 AF-1 is worth a look maybe.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2015, 09:03:56 pm »
Thanks for the pointers folks.   I am a Metz fan having one myself, a 48 for my Sony.   

I too have a Vivitar 283 LEE which I use as a slave triggered by an optical hotshoe style slave unit.   Pops a dream.   

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »
Thanks for the pointers folks.   I am a Metz fan having one myself, a 48 for my Sony.   

I too have a Vivitar 283 LEE which I use as a slave triggered by an optical hotshoe style slave unit.   Pops a dream.   

They give a rather satisfying "THUD" on full power down't they?

The more I read about the METZ the more I want one.  However..I'm also reading some great reviews of the (circa £220) Canon 10-18mm IS STM, and there's only so much money to go around.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2016, 10:22:56 am »
Reviving this to point out that my Yongnuo YN568EX II is marvellous.

It was £68 and is the equivalent of £400 Canon Speedlights (Same price as a decent enthusiast DSLR)

You can set yourself up with a decent Yongnuo multi-strobe budget Studio (Yongnuo wireless triggers and Ebay Umbrellas, backgrounds..etc) for the price of just one Canon Speedlight.