Author Topic: Budget studio strobes  (Read 1620 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Budget studio strobes
« on: 24 February, 2016, 10:08:36 pm »
I have been 'getting by' with a bunch of cheap old flashguns (Nikon SB24) but seem to be doing more and more with 'proper' lighting. Not enough to spend huge $$ but enough to want some lights that take less than 5secs to recharge, have a bit more oomph, and don't cost a fortune in batteries.
So I am looking at some cheapish studio strobes. Main use is for people, small groups and individuals. Sometimes setups in the lab.

Any recommendations on what to get, what to avoid. The budget end is the cheap chinese monobloc from about £60 for 200Ws (despite what it says on the tin) and then it goes up from there.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Re: Budget studio strobes
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2016, 09:55:05 am »
I've been really impressed with the Lencarta Atom 360.  Battery powered, but the battery is really light and lasts for ages, very repeatable and very easy to control. There are other companies selling the same kit, some a bit cheaper.

David Martin

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2016, 10:47:56 pm »
Interesting, but quite a way out of my budget.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2016, 03:27:44 pm »
I'm a big fan of avoiding the shit out of the Chinese mystery meat stuff that you see on Amazon and eBay.  Reason being, if it breaks or needs replacement parts, you're buggered.  Compatibility with accessories isn't always guaranteed and the resale value is for bobbins if you ever want shot of it.

Instead, my strong recommendation is to look at brand name gear like Elinchrom or Bowens.  I use Elinchrom - it's great quality, built like tanks and the modifiers are all compatible across the range.  You could say the same for Bowens, though.

Either look for some older gear (250 and 400w monobloc heads can be found second hand quite widely) or check out their D-Lite One RX Softbox Kit, which is pretty much everything you need (heads, boxes, stands and trigger) for about as much as a cheap DSLR.  The heads are only 100w, but that's often as much as you need for headshots and small groups, especially if you don't *have* to shoot at low ISO.

For me, the sweet spot would be a second hand One RX kit and later on, a more powerful head that you could use the same boxes on.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2016, 09:41:50 pm »
I've just clicked buy on a second hand elinchrom dlite4 which should do for starters. I have stands and triggers already (having been pushing speedlights to the limit.)
It will be an interesting experience. Just need to find a 100W E27 modelling bulb from somewhere now.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2016, 09:24:14 pm »
Last time I bought a couple of those, they were a fiver each at The Flash Centre!  You can't buy 100w bulbs in supermarkets any more...

I've got a couple of D-Lite 4 RX heads and they're bloody brilliant  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2016, 11:01:20 pm »
I'm looking forward to trying it out.