Author Topic: Readers' Instruments  (Read 164230 times)

Re: Readers' Instruments
« Reply #300 on: 14 November, 2019, 09:46:59 pm »
My latest build is finally finished! I am rather pleased  :)

Some of you may have seen all the images from the very start of the build to the very end on Faceache. But for those who haven't (or anyone who has and wants to see them in a non-Facebook environment) I have put all 731 captioned images on my site, which you can find below:

https://zaribor.co.uk/guitars/custom

All the Tele pics are up there too....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #301 on: 14 November, 2019, 10:06:21 pm »
Here's mine (1936 Blüthner Style VIII):

Traumerei (Schumann)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9nsVS6FBaQ

Prelude & Fugue inB flat (J. S. Bach)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ir6QosIGMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv2OHYI6Y4M
The loss of humanity I could live with.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #302 on: 14 November, 2019, 10:22:11 pm »

Some of you may have seen all the images from the very start of the build to the very end on Faceache. But for those who haven't (or anyone who has and wants to see them in a non-Facebook environment) I have put all 731 captioned images on my site, which you can find below:

Wow! You should be pleased. That’s a beauty!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #303 on: 15 November, 2019, 09:22:00 am »

That's really lovely that. Reminds me of a Gordon Smith guitar I saw in a music shop in That London in the 80s (when I thought I could play the guitar). You should be rightly proud.
Pen Pusher

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #304 on: 15 November, 2019, 11:16:33 am »
That is really rather gorgeous, Bobb.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #305 on: 15 November, 2019, 11:09:07 pm »
Yeah, I guess it's similar to some of the GS shapes but with less pointy horns. I loosely based the shape on a cross between a Les Paul and an Ibanez AR series with a little bit of 335 thrown in. It's *my* shape now, I just have to think of a name for it!

I really ought to come up with my own headstock shape, but it's really difficult to get something unique that doesn't look wrong. Many brands try to avoid being too obvioulsy Gibson or Fender inspired and end up with some horrible monstrosity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #306 on: 16 November, 2019, 09:04:46 am »

Lovely job - congrats!

I've had a quick gander at your 731 pics & I'll be going back later. Good stuff.

How's the Triton thicknesser doing?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #307 on: 16 November, 2019, 09:47:57 am »
Very nice indeed, a thing of beauty.

From the photos, it might be that the thicknesser is clogged with cat hair.

« Reply #308 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:18:59 am »

Some damn fine work there, Bob!  :thumbsup:
They must love you at Axminster tools.

« Reply #309 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:37:03 am »
Wonderful.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #310 on: 16 November, 2019, 01:56:45 pm »

It's good. I've used it quite a bit recently as I've got two more builds on the go - a Les Paul and a Thunderbird bass! I've reversed the blades as one of them got a tiny chip somehow which meant it left a mark along anything I ran through it. New blades are about 20 quid I think, so I'll get some more at some point. There's a little plastic cover near the top that covers the belt that came off when I was moving it. I obvioulsy didn't put it back on properly as it started rubbing on the belt and started to melt! I don't bother with it now. It doesn't seem to matter as nothing can get in there as the belt whizzing around blows any dust and chips straight out. I always use it outside now as the amount of crap it spews out means a massive clean up operation after use. I've made a collection thingy out of an old cardboard box that deals with the worst of it, but it throws out chips all over the place. So using it outside, I just mow the lawn afterwards which just blows all the chips evenly all over the garden  :P

« Reply #311 on: 16 November, 2019, 09:29:43 pm »
I really ought to come up with my own headstock shape, but it's really difficult to get something unique that doesn't look wrong. Many brands try to avoid being too obvioulsy Gibson or Fender inspired and end up with some horrible monstrosity.

That headstock is very Epiphone. Not that that's a bad thing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #312 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:08:43 pm »
It's actually very Gibson! I used a Gibson template for it.

Comparison:

« Reply #313 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:17:23 pm »
Ooh your right, I blame it on a my age Bobb.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #314 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:21:04 pm »
 :P

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #315 on: 17 November, 2019, 09:12:21 am »

It's good. I've used it quite a bit recently as I've got two more builds on the go - a Les Paul and a Thunderbird bass! I've reversed the blades as one of them got a tiny chip somehow which meant it left a mark along anything I ran through it. New blades are about 20 quid I think, so I'll get some more at some point. There's a little plastic cover near the top that covers the belt that came off when I was moving it. I obviously didn't put it back on properly as it started rubbing on the belt and started to melt! I don't bother with it now. It doesn't seem to matter as nothing can get in there as the belt whizzing around blows any dust and chips straight out. I always use it outside now as the amount of crap it spews out means a massive clean up operation after use. I've made a collection thingy out of an old cardboard box that deals with the worst of it, but it throws out chips all over the place. So using it outside, I just mow the lawn afterwards which just blows all the chips evenly all over the garden  :P

Sounds good.  Can't you use a dust extractor with it, or doesn't it work too well?

« Reply #316 on: 17 November, 2019, 10:10:08 am »
Oh I'm sure a decent extraction system would make a huge difference. Unfortunately I don't have any extraction set up. Yet!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #317 on: 17 November, 2019, 01:28:43 pm »
Something else to find room for.  I banged a hole in the wall and put mine next door.  Universal hose connectors are wonderful.

I'm in envy of your bench. I have two that looked great when I bought them 30 years ago, but the working surface is too narrow and the face vices are crappy. They also have a big tray at the back that tends to fill up with junk and sawdust.

« Reply #318 on: 18 November, 2019, 08:02:41 pm »
My bench is good, but it's taken a lot of abuse and I really need to break the joints and reglue it as it's got a bit wobbly.

Have you started that through neck bass yet?!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #319 on: 19 November, 2019, 09:16:59 am »
I haven't done anything this year to speak of.  All my oomph disappeared back in May when my daughter - for whom the bass was intended - dropped a financial bomb on us and the quacks hobbled me with meds they needed me to take to cover their arses.  I did start some panelling for the hall but that's on hold until the tools in the workshop are warmer than the stuff in our fridge.

« Reply #320 on: 20 November, 2019, 08:47:49 pm »
I haven't done anything this year to speak of.  All my oomph disappeared back in May when my daughter - for whom the bass was intended - dropped a financial bomb on us and the quacks hobbled me with meds they needed me to take to cover their arses.  I did start some panelling for the hall but that's on hold until the tools in the workshop are warmer than the stuff in our fridge.

Good luck with all that. Hopefully you'll be able to crack on soon.

Just a word on building through necks - I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but get the bridge you want to use before you start so you can get your neck break angle sorted early doors. It will save a whole world of pain later.

Here's the Thunderbird I'm building - fretboard thicknessed, bridge acquired, neck break angle machined in:

Even if you buy a bridge designed for something with no break angle (eg Fender style bolt on) I'd still put in a tiny angle. Every bolt on guitar/bass I've ever owned has needed a shim in the neck pocket to get the action down to something playable....

Edit: A useful resource: Neck Angle Calculator

« Reply #321 on: 24 November, 2019, 09:59:38 am »
I've been playing my old Dolmetsch recorders a bit this weekend.  They're rosewood, and the tone is beautiful.  Because I haven't played them for more than twenty years, I'll need to 'play them in' as if they were new.  It's amazing how the fingerings come back to you - I can play a number of melodies (which I'm sure I've never played before) without sheet music, just by feel.

Here's the treble:

(Oh well, photo doesn't seem to want to upload...)

« Reply #322 on: 29 February, 2020, 05:46:10 pm »
The latest addition to the family - I've never actually played a tin whistle before, and came across this whilst randomly browsing the internet the other day. I had no choice but to buy it...

Obviously, I'll now need versions in different keys (though only D is available in purple, it seems), thus the n+1 continues... :facepalm:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #323 on: 29 February, 2020, 07:14:06 pm »

Itch for nylon guitar satisfied.

I’m a bit of a fan of Faith guitars :smug:

« Reply #324 on: 01 March, 2020, 07:25:34 am »
How often do you all practice on your instruments?