Random Musings > Phototalk

Google photos - useful features

(1/1)

Wowbagger:
I have discovered a couple of really clever/useful (at least, I think so...) features of Google photos.

1. Type in a word in the search box (eg "bicycle") for what you want to find in all your photos, and it will find pictures containing a bicycle. Maybe not that impressive to some, but I thought it was pretty neat.

2. Yesterday, I made an album https://photos.app.goo.gl/9RUYj7CzeFRRS3vy8 so that I could show some photos I took yonks ago, to My Mate Terry who art in Sibton. These photos were some pretty early ones I took with my Nikon D70. The problem was that they had been transferred between computers/cloud/servers several times, and the files in finder, and the clickable exif data, displayed the date 1/6/2008. For some computer-glitchy reason a lot of my old photos have had their dates changed to this.

However, the real data of origin must be held somewhere within the file in a manner that is inaccessible to Finder. Google Photos has found it and displayed it - 22/5/2007. I double checked this as I originally linked to these from ACF - of course YACF only came into existence in 2008 - and I have all my old ACF posts downloaded and in a folder. I linked to them on 24/5/2007.

jiberjaber:
If your photos are geo tagged then there is an excellent heat map of photos that helps find that picture you remember taking somewhere a long time ago.... only seems to work on the phone app however.

jiberjaber:
Example

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Kim:

--- Quote from: Wowbagger on 16 January, 2024, 08:06:39 pm ---1. Type in a word in the search box (eg "bicycle") for what you want to find in all your photos, and it will find pictures containing a bicycle. Maybe not that impressive to some, but I thought it was pretty neat.

--- End quote ---

It's one of those two kinds of people things, isn't it?  Those who understand xkcd://1425 problems, those who don't, and the people at flicker who had a working bird classifier within a month of that comic being published.

9 years later and you get this: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2024/01/famous-xkcd-comic-comes-full-circle-with-ai-bird-identifying-binoculars/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version