Author Topic: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale - 7th Jan, £1  (Read 2152 times)

Mr. Pickwick's January Sale - 7th Jan, £1
« on: 19 December, 2011, 02:11:45 pm »
A cheap day out, using a route that's proven to be open in all weather conditions. (Last year in places the snow was four or five feet deep on the verges - but the route was completely clear).

Good value controls, optional amatuer astronomy session during last leg.

Places filling-up very fast - so hesitate and you'll miss out.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale - 7th Jan, £1
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2011, 04:58:26 pm »
I have spent £1 of my meagre benefits based disposable income, and am looking forward t'w'it   ;D ;D :smug:

Also have talked audax newbie Brian, whose crank fell off on the last one, to come along for his 4th...

When are we no longer newbies BTW ?

Mikey
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
I`ll be there, Mikey, as also will trusty companion Paginini(Graham).
It will not all be flat, as I believe we have to traverse a few Cotswolds at the tail end.........at least an AAA`sworth as I remember from similar routes.
 It reaches about 1000 ft above Guiting Power....so no evening frost, please !

« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2011, 08:31:51 pm »
Yes looking forward to riding this again, great way to start the year and burn off some of the Christmas excesses  ;D

Should be up with the usual suspects from Bristol CTC, hopefully Alex can keep his rear mech attached to the bike this year rather than wrapping it round his rear rack after the first control! He made it round single speed style after that so fair play!

I took out my back wheel on some killer pot holes in the final section but managed to roll home just about!

Hopefully this year will be less eventful   ::-)

« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:45:10 am »
Field now full.

Route given final recce during this week, controls ready for your visit.

I took out my back wheel on some killer pot holes in the final section but managed to roll home just about!

Hopefully this year will be less eventful   ::-)

This should be less likely to occur this year Paul, much of the road surfaces along the Chipping Norton,Stow,Winchcombe,Tewkesbury section has been re-surfaced this year. (well done Oxon and Gloucs CCs). In fact the bit from 195km to 198km is being re-sufaced at the moment, work will be finished this afternoon/tomorrow morning.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2012, 02:43:59 pm »
Yes I noticed that bit of road had been resurfaced on a ride late last year, the council have done a good job. That section was greatly improved, and with the current resurfacing about to finish the final section should be a delight bar a few lumps and if this wind dies down  ;D

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:50:25 pm »
Wheee...
Tank the hill into Alvechurch & get some BIG AIR on the humptyback ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2012, 07:10:16 pm »
Wheee...
Tank the hill into Alvechurch & get some BIG AIR on the humptyback :-D

Nice one, I've always met on-coming traffic  :(

I just hope you can carry-through the momentum and crest the rise to Edgehill.  :demon:

EDIT  @ 19:45 : Iddu has just completed  :thumbsup:, a reasonable showing considering his start time and the fact that he rode his own event yesterday in windtunnel conditions.

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2012, 12:02:51 pm »
After last minute fumblings in the dark, Gpswise, we were off on a peaceful A38,heading in between more familiar routes. Bredon Hill was emblazened with the big yellow ball behind it and the riding was easy. Heading into my own cabbage patch I took a cheeky diversion leading to Chad Corbett pit stop, keeping flat and avoiding the final hurtle down and worrying right turn into the cafe.
My fan club were waiting there to cheer me on...Thanks, John !
Soon after this I picked up a nice pair of mole grips, too weighty to carry up Edge Hill...so they are waiting for me in the hedge. Now there`s a topic for you---"Things I`ve picked up on Audaxes,"-could be a long runner.
How about Cobley Hill and the canal bridge ? If anybody took off, I`d be glad to Know what their  al speed was....and where  they touched down ? Maybe 3Peaker could help.

There are ways of avoiding the hills around Cobley and Beoley, but you have undertand the logic of Redditch....and few people do !
I had a patio snack in sun at Warwick South but was glad to leave the cacophony behind and enter the calming Cotswolds (Edge Hill beat me, of course). Shutford now sticks in my memory as the pub with the church towering from its backyard.   
At Chipping, I was last man in and penultimate man, Jstone, was just leaving.
Having done the remainder of the ride a few times, I wasn`t  too keen to experience yet again the crawl over the mountain top from Guiting to Winchcombe, so 3 miles from Guiting I stayed on high  ground and headed down Stanway in a beeline for home-- less tiring,I think, and traffic was light till I hit Tewkesbury`s sprawling western suburbs. Jstone wondered where I`d passed him.

A marvellous day out as usual, you`ll never see a better January day for a ride.
Many thanks to Mark for all his work.-----It was well worth a pond !

P.S.If the owner of the Fiesta Zetec , parked next to me, notices a mark on his nearside front door, it was I who opened my door too wide. Sorry ! Get in touch if nec.

Mr. Pickwick's January Sale - 7th Jan, £1
« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2012, 07:27:37 pm »
I took off on the Cobley Hill canal bridge! No idea how fast I was going but certainly was not planning for big air!

Great day out, and top weather for a Jan ride. With at least 13 of the field from Bristol almost felt like a club run. And great to see the usual Black sheep regulars, always have a great bunch out on Mark's rides.

Thanks again Mark & Louise for a great ride  :thumbsup:

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2012, 08:29:47 pm »
... At Chipping, I was last man in and penultimate man, Jstone, was just leaving ... I stayed on high ground and headed down Stanway in a beeline for home ... Jstone wondered where I`d passed him.

I have to admit a few uncharitable thoughts crossed my mind when I arrived at the finish to find you there before me ;)
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2012, 09:58:17 pm »
A great ride - thanks Mark - I particularly enjoyed the last stage, which allowed me to stretch my legs on those hills.. 

Hello to Richard, who I rode with quite a lot, who is a lurker on here, but not yet registered - he said he was a beginner, then told me all about his SR, his 80 hour PBP ride, his tandem with trailer holidays....  Come on Rich - register and be damned !!!  How did the club run go today?

Also nice to meet Marcus, who is so down to earth, and great to talk to in the pub !!

And Alan J, who is a good 'tug', and next time I am buying the beer !!  ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2012, 01:24:30 am »
Mac beware, you cut out 5km of wonderful quiet road; that is how JS became Lanterns Rouge. I slowed up rather than take big air. And I noticed an adjustable spanner in the road after the 1st Control; bit battered so I left them (for you Mac?)
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:09:38 am »
So,3peak, you did 205km ? I managed just 200,the easy way, which should be enough.
Pickupwise,I usually pass objects on the road and spend the next 2 minutes wondering whether it`s worth turning back. Saved a stunned squirrel from further damage last week.

Errata from my original........."sprawling EASTERN suburbs.".......Tewk has absolutely zero sprawl on the western side. Sorry.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:46:19 am »
I took off on the Cobley Hill canal bridge! No idea how fast I was going but certainly was not planning for big air!

Good man :thumbsup:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2012, 12:40:42 pm »
So,3peak, you did 205km ? I managed just 200,the easy way, which should be enough.
Pickupwise,I usually pass objects on the road and spend the next 2 minutes wondering whether it`s worth turning back. Saved a stunned squirrel from further damage last week.

Errata from my original........."sprawling EASTERN suburbs.".......Tewk has absolutely zero sprawl on the western side. Sorry.

No, my 200km included that 5km. so you might have gone off-route?

I have found all sorts of useful road debris; spanners, scissors, knives, gloves (normally left hand!), reflective jackets.  But we digress.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2012, 03:26:52 pm »
Further digression---recently picked up an Open Pro back wheel withjust one "pulled through" spoke, otherwise perfect..

« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2012, 07:37:58 pm »
Hello to Richard, who I rode with quite a lot, who is a lurker on here, but not yet registered - he said he was a beginner, then told me all about his SR, his 80 hour PBP ride, his tandem with trailer holidays....  Come on Rich - register and be damned !!!  How did the club run go today?

OK.  I've registered.  But I will still continue to do more lurking!

With reference to "How did the club run go today?" we did 50 miles without stop at an average of 18mph when I was expecting a more gentle ride with cafe stop.  Needless to say I just sat on the back and really wished I had taken some fluid with me: doh!

Very enjoyable Audax and many thanks to Mark for organising the event.