Author Topic: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous  (Read 31622 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous
« on: 01 April, 2013, 01:09:15 pm »
In response to unprecedented demand I've found a few more hundred metres to entertain Audaxers Aspiring to Asphyxiation and lo, The AAAnfractous (yes, that's 3As) is born. Much the same as the regular route except on leaving Chalfont you turn left instead of right for an early dose of Chiltern goodness before you pop out (or should that be 'are plopped out'?) at Marlow for the long haul up to Christmas Common. But fear not, lovers of the regular route have not been neglected,  for that continues as The Less Anfractuous, with the visit to Chiltern's lanes on the homeward leg a strictly optional extra.

The AAAnfractous/Less Anfractous/Nyctophobic next run in October. No Perm versions I'm afraid but GPS DIYers welcome.

And yes, The AAAnfractuous is eligible for the Grimpeurs Du Sud!

Re: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:22:32 pm »
OOOOH - does it involve Cookham?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:32:28 pm »
The change is on the outrun to Marlow. Everybody gets to do Quarry Wood (the hill with the hairpin after Marlow on the way to Cookham Rise) on the way home. See also, Harvest Hill.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:49:02 pm »
Yay.  What was already an excellent ride now has something additional to stir my loins.  And it's a full fat AAA ride, none of this "if it's a bit lumpy for 100km then it gets points" wimpiness  :thumbsup:

As I'm pondering riding more fixed wheel next year, this might be my first AAA ride on t'cog.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2013, 10:01:07 pm »
Ooh.

Sounds good.

Anfractuous is one of the harder non-AAA rides out there (mainly due to the pummelling you take in the last 40km), so this sounds all the better.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2013, 10:02:55 pm »
just entered  :)

at last some rewAAArd for that pain of Creaky Bottom and Jockstrap Lane

a real opportunity to see a grown man cry, collapse, walk etc as I'll have been on a 2 week diet of rubbish and flatness across the pond immediately before

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2013, 10:58:13 pm »
Subscribing for now, sounds good!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2013, 06:27:30 am »
I'm AAAlso in

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2013, 07:25:07 am »
another enrty from AC hAAAckney...

Hillbilly

« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2013, 07:39:21 am »
PaypAAAl entry in.  Will allow me to keep my 2xBR AAA chain going into the new season  :thumbsup:

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2013, 07:55:58 am »
This'll be my 3rd time (my god, I'm becoming a regular!), and looking forward to getting climbing points so close to London. Always thought this was the most difficult 200 in the SE.

Hillbilly

« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2013, 08:03:23 am »
Ekimeno.  Feel free to enter my Around Weald Expedition for comparison....

Edenbridge start, so close to London.  Features some climbs that will make your day memorable (although the grimp isn't the main purpose of the ride, it's more about the scenery which just happens to require climbing some iconic hills in Kent and Sussex).  7 July.

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2013, 08:18:57 am »
Ekimeno.  Feel free to enter my Around Weald Expedition for comparison....  7 July.

would love to but clashes with TT up the Alpe d'Huez following the Marmotte on 6th July  :smug:

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2013, 08:19:27 am »
Aye, haven't done that one and will have to wait till next year as I'll be at the Etape in France on that day... will likely be doing the Hop Garden in May though which takes in a few Kent hills - did it last year in torrential rain and flooding!

Hillbilly

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2013, 09:22:27 am »
There is a perm version.  Good training  ;)

Swanley or Selsfon starts possible. 

Also Meridian Hills perm.  Orpington/Green St Green start possible.

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 01 September, 2013, 07:57:13 pm »
I've entered. My RRTY for August was yesterday, and for September will be the 28th. At least with this one for October I'm getting it in at the start of the month!

« Reply #16 on: 01 September, 2013, 10:12:51 pm »
Entered the AAAnfractuous :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #17 on: 02 September, 2013, 11:42:15 am »
Plaaan to enter this one aaas in need to get rides in to keep RRRTY aaambitions intaaact!

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:54:16 am »
Entered the AAAnfractuous :thumbsup:

+1

I've entered rides in Oct Nov and Dec now. Best not enter anything in January. Just to be safe.

« Reply #19 on: 30 September, 2013, 10:39:23 am »
Having left my September ride to the very end of the month (and done bugger all since early August) I don't think my legs are up to the AAA.  The "less" is good enough for me.

Hillbilly

« Reply #20 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:41:03 am »
I suspect the AAA version is not going to be a whole heap of added hardness compared to the traditional version. 

I think the greatest test of endurance will be how many times I have to get my pen out and fill in an info question on the grimpeur.  On the plus side, it will give a legitimate reason for stopping the bike rather than having to dismount for being a bit podgy on the climbs.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #21 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:49:01 am »
I've ridden the new AAA version and you're right Billy - it's not massively more challenging than the regular version (that's to say it makes a reasonably challenging ride already into a slightly more challenging one - but it's not the most insane ride out there, there are plenty of faster, flatter parts along the way). 

I was never a fan of the ride out to Marlow on the original - so the AAA version is actually rather nicer.  There's only one stiff climb really, just out of High Wycombe.  The rest of the new ascent is fairly mild.

Of course, you're then into all the old favourites - Streatley etc.

So, really, other than those who want to blast around the old route in 8 hours (bypassing the hills on the last section), there's no excuse for not riding the hillier version and collecting those 3 lovely AAA points to start off the season.
Right! What's next?

simonp

« Reply #22 on: 30 September, 2013, 12:00:04 pm »
Not sure about riding this one on fixed - got a slightly sore knee after riding 188 miles commuting in the last week. Could fettle the Madone back into Audax mode in time for the weekend.

« Reply #23 on: 30 September, 2013, 05:32:35 pm »
I've ridden the new AAA version and you're right Billy - it's not massively more challenging than the regular version (that's to say it makes a reasonably challenging ride already into a slightly more challenging one - but it's not the most insane ride out there, there are plenty of faster, flatter parts along the way). 

I was never a fan of the ride out to Marlow on the original - so the AAA version is actually rather nicer.  There's only one stiff climb really, just out of High Wycombe.  The rest of the new ascent is fairly mild.

So, really, other than those who want to blast around the old route in 8 hours (bypassing the hills on the last section), there's no excuse for not riding the hillier version and collecting those 3 lovely AAA points to start off the season.

Well I offer no excuses, I'm just a wimp, and certainly not going for 8 hours  :o
Now, tell me about the way to bypas the hills on the last section  ;D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #24 on: 30 September, 2013, 05:37:44 pm »

Well I offer no excuses, I'm just a wimp, and certainly not going for 8 hours  :o
Now, tell me about the way to bypas the hills on the last section  ;D

You'd have to ask the cheaters people who do the flat main road route for the end section!  I'd not want to miss out on those lovely hills where there's always just one more to go until the end. 

Now the ride has moved a month earlier, those hills are a little easier than they are in November with less leaves and stuff on the ground to stop you gaining any traction.
Right! What's next?