Author Topic: Bouncing/skipping controls - etiquette and tolerance  (Read 7958 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Bouncing/skipping controls - etiquette and tolerance
« Reply #50 on: 01 October, 2016, 08:40:46 pm »
I bounce 75% of commercial controls because generally they waste time I could spend riding, if the control has extended it's opening times or hired extra staff I will of course support it.

I don't use any commercial controls on any of my own events as it's just more things to fret over on the day, on my 200 It's any PoP from the controls which everyone seems to get on with

Problem with cafes in the UK is that they are a major social event for everyone apart from AUK riders IMO

not sure they waste time you could be riding, there will be just as much riding time on a route whether you stop or not, unless you don't eat enough and it causes you to slow down. But that doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

If riders are not stopping at a cafe it may be that it was too busy, in which case not much lost for the cafe, if most riders are not using a cafe control despite not being busy, organisers should be considering if there is something wrong with the cafe. there will always be some that don't stop, but the majority tend to. Is it the price, the food, the service, or is the control at the wrong time in a ride?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #51 on: 01 October, 2016, 08:52:30 pm »
not sure they waste time you could be riding, there will be just as much riding time on a route whether you stop or not

Getting home at 6pm vs 9pm makes a huge difference for some people. Both may have the same time spent moving and result in the same 2 AUK points but not all riders can just assign the whole day over to a ride. I've done a few rides where I've had to push myself to be back home in time to go and do something else that evening.

There's a February 100 that I usually ride 75km to/from the start of, push my way round relatively quickly and can be back home by 5pm having ticked off 250km.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #52 on: 01 October, 2016, 09:02:12 pm »
not sure they waste time you could be riding, there will be just as much riding time on a route whether you stop or not

Getting home at 6pm vs 9pm makes a huge difference for some people. Both may have the same time spent moving and result in the same 2 AUK points ..
true, but that statement wasn't that commercial control waste his evening, only riding time.
I typically only stop for an hour (combined on 200km rides) despite stopping at commercial controls/pubs/cafes

« Reply #53 on: 01 October, 2016, 09:26:10 pm »
... Problem with cafes in the UK is that they are a major social event for everyone apart from AUK riders IMO

That's a problem?  I only do Audax for the cafes and the chat.  Even on Perms, I invariably get talking to someone at the café stops.

I've never thought of this before, but perhaps I should put my Perms down to expenses as MemSec, as I usually end up talking about Audax to someone and, who knows, some of them are bound to have joined up.  Only joking of course - but only just.

« Reply #54 on: 02 October, 2016, 06:14:01 am »

If riders are not stopping at a cafe it may be that it was too busy, in which case not much lost for the cafe, if most riders are not using a cafe control despite not being busy, organisers should be considering if there is something wrong with the cafe. there will always be some that don't stop, but the majority tend to. Is it the price, the food, the service, or is the control at the wrong time in a ride?

Not necessarily: for a segment of riders, the reason for not stopping at a cafe is because it is a cafe!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #55 on: 02 October, 2016, 08:15:20 am »
Midpoint café was perfectly situated yesterday, and efficient service.  I think I was in and out within 20 minutes with a double espresso and a date flapjack, perfect.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #56 on: 02 October, 2016, 01:17:29 pm »

Not necessarily: for a segment of riders, the reason for not stopping at a cafe is because it is a cafe!
As I said there will always be some that don't stop, but if numbers are lower than on other events, something may be happening.

Martin

« Reply #57 on: 03 October, 2016, 12:53:07 am »
... Problem with cafes in the UK is that they are a major social event for everyone apart from AUK riders IMO

That's a problem?  I only do Audax for the cafes and the chat.  Even on Perms, I invariably get talking to someone at the café stops.

Not a problem for me but a consideration. I'm mostly a perm rider these days and as such I can decide my stoppage times around when I want to stop. The last calendar event I rode (2 weeks ago) I asked for beans on toast at the first control, they never turned up and after 30 mins I gave up and found a petrol station. By the second control I was catching riders who had abandoned paid for meals having waited an hour. Plus I tend to ride AAA rated events so every minute spent at a control is another minute riding up and down hills in the dark,

Each to his own but I prefer a 10 min carbo load al fresco every time

« Reply #58 on: 03 October, 2016, 01:52:12 pm »
Al forecourto.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."