Author Topic: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous  (Read 31776 times)

Re: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous
« Reply #225 on: 02 October, 2016, 08:59:05 am »
Where was the Wantage control out of interest? I live just north of there so if you're looking for a manned control next time I might be able to assist.

« Reply #226 on: 02 October, 2016, 09:09:25 am »
It was the museum cafe. Really easy to find. Don't understand the problem with it.

« Reply #227 on: 02 October, 2016, 09:35:35 am »
It was the museum cafe. Really easy to find. Don't understand the problem with it.

There's a museum?

« Reply #228 on: 02 October, 2016, 09:38:48 am »

There's a museum?

http://wantage-museum.com

« Reply #229 on: 02 October, 2016, 09:39:55 am »

« Reply #230 on: 02 October, 2016, 10:17:26 am »
Certainly the waypoint for the Wantage control could have been more accurate.

I gave up after a circuit of town centre and went to Waitrose for PoP and to get my mobile out to download the route sheet (more to remind me of even what the control was called!) I don't have a printer at home and sometimes try to be 'paperless'.

Unfortunately this time I didn't reccy (unknown to me) controls with Streetview either - so mostly a lack of planning/preparation on my part.

Anyway an good day out with some well timed breaks at Benson & Pangbourne to miss some of the rain. Varying riding by my self and with a couple of groups - the weather was enough to be testing without being too challenging/miserable. Lots of Red Kites seen in the Chilterns which is always great.

Thanks to Paul Stewart for organizing.

« Reply #231 on: 02 October, 2016, 03:14:02 pm »
The answer to the Lambourne info control question, red kites and hoot owls made getting a bit soggy (and a lot lost through Marlow) totally worthwhile.  Thanks MoT, nice warm up for the winter rides.
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #232 on: 02 October, 2016, 11:52:11 pm »
The route sheet was fine, the gpx showed it off route towards the town centre. That was the only problem other than going the wrong way at the start which was a bit silly considering  I did the ride last year.

« Reply #233 on: 03 October, 2016, 04:29:41 pm »
Started out well, some lovely early climbs in the mist which turned to rain on the way to Benson.
Collected a puncture just before the stop which wasn't a total shock as the little Chiltern flints always come out to play in the rain. Thankfully I'd packed a couple of disposable gloves so the white bar tape was preserved  O:-)

Didn't feel too great on the way to Wantage but kept plugging away and recovered for Lambourn in time to acquire several buns from the assets of the Devonia bakery.
Turns out the lady in the bakery was from Northern Ireland, as am I, so that was a bit of a happy coincidence and I took this as a sign of great victory to come  ;D

On to the next stop where I received some odd looks from the staff in Pangbourne Costa as I came through the door yammering about stickers for my bicycle - they may have thought I was an old looking child who was very fond of stickers or possibly a danger to myself or others, so I relented from this conversational path and got a receipt instead.

By this time the light was starting to fade and the full horrors of the AAA event came to bear with some tough climbing into Marlow. This coincided with my main bike light failing so I had to switch to a head torch for the last 30Km or so. Glasses were now off due to the combination of limited light, small lanes and rain but I managed the last few KM without serious mishap.

Like everyone else I got soaked, dried out and got soaked again throughout the day but the temperatures were mild and I was never really uncomfortable, even enjoyed my walk up the top of Colstrope lane  :)
Some lovely scenery, nice views of the Thames and many smaller rivers, and a lot of pretty villages. Even a fantastic double rainbow on the way to Pangbourne. Met quite a few people on the way round and spirits seemed pretty high despite the wet weather.

Many thanks to Paul and helpers for organising an excellent day out  :thumbsup: