Author Topic: AUK riding season  (Read 4834 times)

Re: AUK riding season
« Reply #25 on: 26 September, 2016, 01:43:47 pm »
Seems like a given. I'll add myself as a member in January.

You don't need to wait quite that long.

The basic fee for a new member is £19 for a calendar year, ending on December 31st, although new members joining late in the year will be subscribed until the end of the following year.

There doesn't seem to be an official switch date for this to happen, but I'm fairly sure I've done it myself and you definitely don't need to wait until January.

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
« Reply #26 on: 26 September, 2016, 02:23:10 pm »
There should be a special award for anyone daft enough to ride a 600 in November.

Deano,

Fancy doing a 600km this November, be a good laugh man  :thumbsup:

thing is..I'm not even joking  :facepalm:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #27 on: 26 September, 2016, 03:09:45 pm »
It would be very sensible for AUK's riding year to again align with EVERY other group worldwide. Given that AUK coped with an 11 month year when it transitioned to a September end of year, it could manage a 13 month season to return to an October end of year.

This idea was raised to some acclaim at the last AGM.  There is logic in an end year at end October as this is when the hour changes and psychologically we are looking at rides from a new, chilly, lighted perspective.
Now the AGM has moved, there is plenty of time to prepare accounts---so please can we revert to original, logical audaxuk year end in October.
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #28 on: 26 September, 2016, 04:44:59 pm »
There should be a special award for anyone daft enough to ride a 600 in November.

Deano,

If that's down to the reunion, then I'm busy that weekend.

(Same goes for any other November weekend you've got a 600 planned!)

« Reply #29 on: 26 September, 2016, 05:32:04 pm »
Seems like a given. I'll add myself as a member in January.

You don't need to wait quite that long.

The basic fee for a new member is £19 for a calendar year, ending on December 31st, although new members joining late in the year will be subscribed until the end of the following year.

There doesn't seem to be an official switch date for this to happen, but I'm fairly sure I've done it myself and you definitely don't need to wait until January.

Thanks Tom. I'll move this to next month's budget instead of waiting. Good to know

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #30 on: 26 September, 2016, 07:17:45 pm »
Apologies for the thread drift: Do you think joining AUK is worth it? A genuine question. I don't think I would be doing more than half a dozen events a year. So financially it's probably a 'no'.

But there's the mag and a sense of belonging. I've never been a member of a bike group and my first Audax is next weekend. What do you think?

There is an unlimited supply of mudguard stickers.  Also you can organise events.  Also you can attend the annual reunion.  Also you can do PBP

I dunno, one time I was at the start of the K&SW 600 and there were a bunch of crazy people there waiting to start.  I realised I was one of them.

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
« Reply #31 on: 27 September, 2016, 04:37:46 pm »

Deano,

If that's down to the reunion, then I'm busy that weekend.

(Same goes for any other November weekend you've got a 600 planned!)

Now then! ... Just thought I'd ask to test your mentalness willpower, I better get used to being by myself, got a few hours of iPod music to listen to on the lonely roads   :'(
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #32 on: 01 October, 2016, 09:09:04 pm »
It would be very sensible for AUK's riding year to again align with EVERY other group worldwide. Given that AUK coped with an 11 month year when it transitioned to a September end of year, it could manage a 13 month season to return to an October end of year.

I think a 1 month season would be a more entertaining way to achieve that.
rrtr would be a doddle at least

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #33 on: 01 October, 2016, 09:19:04 pm »

I think a 1 month season would be a more entertaining way to achieve that.
rrtr would be a doddle at least

No No No!  The RRTY has nothing to do with seasons, it's just any 12 consecutive months.  But you knew that, right?

« Reply #34 on: 02 October, 2016, 08:47:21 pm »
In my 40s and I'm still subject to a bit of peer pressure! I've only gone and joined AUK! Gulp.

I'm limited to events in the South West and Wales for now. Pretty much spoilt for choice, though. 

While I'm a novice, I think I'll stick to BPs presently. (See I'm learning the lingo after just one event!)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 02 October, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »
Crazy fool!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

AUK riding season
« Reply #36 on: 02 October, 2016, 09:01:03 pm »
Crazy fool!  :thumbsup:

Now you have to shoulder the guilt of not one, but two Audax-initiated events in my life. How can you bear it

Rumour has it, you are an undercover AUK headhunter.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #37 on: 02 October, 2016, 11:05:22 pm »
In my 40s and I'm still subject to a bit of peer pressure! I've only gone and joined AUK! Gulp.

I'm limited to events in the South West and Wales for now. Pretty much spoilt for choice, though. 

While I'm a novice, I think I'll stick to BPs presently. (See I'm learning the lingo after just one event!)

Ha! you'll never look back.

I'm already scrutinising the calendar for events where I'm at home and not otherwise committed.  Even thinking of the murkier world of DIYs
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #38 on: 02 October, 2016, 11:30:48 pm »

Oh no "limited" to some of the best areas to ride.
Love riding in Wales and the southwest.

Eddington  127miles, 170km