Author Topic: Ludgershall to Andover...local knowledge sought!  (Read 1487 times)

Ludgershall to Andover...local knowledge sought!
« on: 21 September, 2016, 09:35:16 pm »
Following our recent inaugural 200km event, which seems to have been well received, Kingston Wheelers Audax Chapter is starting to think about putting on a 300 next year. Possibly out to Devizes and back. We're looking at the A342 for a few miles where we understand traffic is generally light on a Sunday, except for the bit from Ludgershall to Andover. Anyone with local knowledge able to suggest a way round this?
cheers
RE

PS...reminder for book launch and training session in Wimbledon on Friday!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Ludgershall to Andover...local knowledge sought!
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:08:17 pm »
How about Biddesden. - Appleshaw - Clanville - Pentons - Charlton?

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2016, 12:59:44 pm »
the bit from Ludgershall to Andover.

Lee is the man you want...

That area, though not flat, has very good cycling roads; but personally I try to avoid both Ludgershall and Andover and route either north or south.

Possibly you have controls in mind - my choices are Amesbury, Pewsey and Whitchurch which all offer both shops and cafes.
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »
I'm not keen on the A342.  You can fiddle around through Fyfield to avoid it but it's rather artificial.

Stevie's suggestions are all good - so how about a western end something like: Whitchurch, St Mary Bourne, Oxenwood, Burbage, Pewsey - then south through Amesbury befire turning for home near the unmissable Wilsford-cum-Lake, then King's Somborne, New Alresford, Ropley

Something like http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/PpPete/Possible-KWAC-300

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2016, 07:59:41 pm »
lovely thanks very much, all the route planning work being done for me  :thumbsup:

when can you get our routesheet ready?  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:21:43 pm »
The Whitchurch to Pewsey part is on my Perm. Route sheet downloadable from link in my signature.
And I can probably give you other Kings Somborne to Alresford from memory.   But not when typing on a phone!

« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:42:22 pm »
very kind of you to share, many thanks

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2016, 11:10:44 pm »
The Whitchurch to Pewsey part is on my Perm. Route sheet downloadable from link in my signature.
And I can probably give you other Kings Somborne to Alresford from memory.   But not when typing on a phone!

Is that the one I bumped into you on Pete?

H

« Reply #8 on: 23 September, 2016, 08:58:56 am »
Sshhh !
I was hoping to keep that bit quiet.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2016, 12:13:29 pm »
Any reason you want to come into Andover?  There are several beautiful ways of avoiding it.

A342 is a terrible road on any day in my opinion.  The section from Ludgershall to Andover is no worse than the rest of it (in fact it's probably the safest stretch).
It's a 60mph road that's too narrow and twisty for those speeds. Full of "dappled shade" just to make it difficult to see cyclists.

Going just 1/2 mile North (Hatherden) or 1/2 mile South (Chilbolton) of Andover keeps you on idyllic lanes.

Personally I quite like the route from Amesbury via the Bulford tank ranges then over Perham Down via Tidworth high-street.

From Perham Down you can choose to carry on North of Andover or head South via Thruxton and Monxton.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mark Beauchamp

• MILKTANKER
« Reply #10 on: 23 September, 2016, 12:45:40 pm »
My 'An Anorak's Delight' used to use the A342 but two members had accidents on it. Now the route crosses the A342 after Fyfield. There is a 'no through road' after Saxon Signs which is open to cyclists and which is opposite the road to the Pentons and Charlton.