Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625934 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5950 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:35:55 am »
I used to live opposite Endcliffe Park, the chippy was down near the Ecclesall Road end of Rustlings Road. IIRC, he was done and gone before 8pm even at a weekend. Some days it didn't open at all, and I'm pretty sure it closed for lunch on the days it did open (huh?). Shame, nice chips, but fish and chips to me are post-pub food. Probably gone now, turned into a bistro or some such.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5951 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:41:59 am »
Always enjoy dipping in here to see what other folk are bellyaching about.  Gives me a real lift.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5952 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:28:47 pm »
Wanted to do good e.g. repair rather than get new. Our thermos top/lid is leaking, parts without shipping about £9, a brand new and shiny thermos starts below £9 and as expensive you want with or with fancy design/logo/print.

So what can one use a 1L vacuum flask with a leaky lid for rather than putting it in a bin, idea anyone?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #5953 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »
Use the thermos with a cork bung

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5954 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:58:16 pm »
Is there some weird reason why English chippies close at some bastardly early hour to leave the late night desert of rat-chicken, kebabery, and other sundry grease-loaded takeaway options? I don't eat fish and chips often, but on the few times I've tried for a traditional fish and chips, they're always closed (the one near here does linger till 10pm). Not a problem I had in Edinburgh, but I swear when I lived in Sheffield they used to be closed up by 8pm.
My dad's local chippy never closed before my dad and his mate John showed up on their way back from the pub, until Gordon sold it to some other people who were unaware of the arrangement, and when informed, not interested in continuining it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5955 on: 06 February, 2015, 02:04:10 pm »
Use the thermos with a cork bung
A little over a half a lifetime ago I would have used it briefly as a container for saltpetre, charcoal and sugar ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5956 on: 06 February, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
So what can one use a 1L vacuum flask with a leaky lid for rather than putting it in a bin, idea anyone?

Liquid nitrogen.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5957 on: 06 February, 2015, 05:51:56 pm »
An excellent idea
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5958 on: 06 February, 2015, 07:05:44 pm »
In case it helps anyone else...............

Another grumble about my new Sony TV.

It can act as a video recorder when you plug in a hard drive.  Which is nice.  BUT, the recordings only play on this TV, and it's losing its "registration" with the drive for no apparent reason whatsoever, meaning you have to re-register it and lose all recordings in the process.  Happened twice already, and I'm only on day two.  I should have stuck with Panasonic.

Happened a few more times.  Which is very naff.

But the solution is simple: unplug the drive from TV, plug into a PC, unplug from PC, plug back in to TV.  I don't know how this works as I don't know what difference the PC makes, but it does work.  Doing the same without the PC stage doesn't work, even when leaving it disconnected for five minutes or rebooting the TV.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5959 on: 09 February, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »
Possibly to do with file locking when mounting the drive. Windows manages this quite well. The TV probably uses some flavour of Linux, which is 'strict' about mounting and unmounting.

If the device management hasn't been configured well on the TV, I bet it is failing to unmount the drive when going into a hibernation mode. Then it can't properly mount the drive again and is doing some daft wiping of file tables.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5960 on: 09 February, 2015, 01:34:52 pm »
Not my grumble, the missus's grumble:

She's a French-English translator. Yesterday she received a doc to proof-read. Client: "There's no French original, but the English is pretty good, shouldn't need many corrections".  Sample:

The control of level deburring tank into 3 thresholds is treated like described after :

·         The deburring level is situed between high level « NI_HA_CAT » and low level « NI_BA_CAT » of tank. So if level is insufficient ( below of low level) solenoid “EV_VID_CAT” will be closed for allows increase level. If the level is situed to low level of background cabin “NI_BA_LF”, Solenoid “EV_REMP_AUTO” opens for given fluid necessary.

·         The maintenance level « NI_MA_CAT » of tank by maintenance mode (Nozzle change mode) allows to reduce fluid level until a good level for change high pressure nozzle. This level is condition of safety feeding pump.

Doesn't need many corrections, just euthanasia.
Oh yes. Too familiar with this. The "proofreading" where you first have to guess what the original said - unless you're lucky and they've got that too - in order to make any sense of it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5961 on: 09 February, 2015, 04:46:12 pm »
Vet bill, quoted last week, between £250 and £450.

Just been in to collect my dog, £449.75.

Next time just tell me it £450 ffs!

I'd also like to be told that there will be another follow up consultation fee and another £50-£70 to stir through a shit sample. The shit is shit it'll cost either £50 or £70 for the tests that are being carried out. I also don't want to pay to have him wormed, chipped or to be covered in flea treatment. They've also just had £30 for his booster and they gave him worming treatment 6 months ago. Why do they feel the need to push EVERYTHING! They're getting worse than fucking estate agents.

It really isn't the money, I'd spend every penny I've got to keep my best mate tip top. I understand that they've trained for years to be good at what they do but they're uncomfortably money orientated.

I had to withhold his food from noon yesterday, when I collected him the nurse said "I've given him some food, it's like you've never fed him". Cheeky fucking bitch! He eats like a horse. Last year we were told to put him on a diet, he's lost 4 kg in 12 months. This morning they weighed him and were concerned about his rapid weight loss over the past fortnight. They weighed him in his pre-op at 14.2kg,and again today at 14.2kg.  the vet wrote down 15.75kg by mistake on his paperwork making it look like he was wasting away, COCK!

Rant over, until the end of the week anyway.

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #5962 on: 09 February, 2015, 05:39:08 pm »

She's a French-English translator. Yesterday she received a doc to proof-read. Client: "There's no French original, but the English is pretty good, shouldn't need many corrections".  Sample:

The control of level deburring tank into 3 thresholds is treated like described after :

·         The deburring level is situed between high level « NI_HA_CAT » and low level « NI_BA_CAT » of tank. So if level is insufficient ( below of low level) solenoid “EV_VID_CAT” will be closed for allows increase level. If the level is situed to low level of background cabin “NI_BA_LF”, Solenoid “EV_REMP_AUTO” opens for given fluid necessary.

·         The maintenance level « NI_MA_CAT » of tank by maintenance mode (Nozzle change mode) allows to reduce fluid level until a good level for change high pressure nozzle. This level is condition of safety feeding pump.

Oh yes. Too familiar with this. The "proofreading" where you first have to guess what the original said - unless you're lucky and they've got that too - in order to make any sense of it.
I've had that once or twice with proofreading translations from Japanese. I usually get the originals, though, & have an arrangement with Mrs B. I try to guess what it really means & ask her if I'm right. I usually am, but sometimes not.

The really silly ones are when the translator hasn't realised that there's a definitive English version of part of the text (e.g. the title of a German book, which has been referenced in its Japanese edition) & translates the Japanese into English. Usually they realise, & look it up, but I have had documents which included translations into English of quoted sections of the Japanese translations of documents which are on the web in official English versions, either originals or authorised translations.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5963 on: 09 February, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »
I used to live opposite Endcliffe Park, the chippy was down near the Ecclesall Road end of Rustlings Road. IIRC, he was done and gone before 8pm even at a weekend. Some days it didn't open at all, and I'm pretty sure it closed for lunch on the days it did open (huh?). Shame, nice chips, but fish and chips to me are post-pub food. Probably gone now, turned into a bistro or some such.
Tradition. There was a time when fish & chips was a family dinner, & opening times were set accordingly.

When I was a nipper, I was often sent to the chippy with a pound note to get the family's dinner, especially on Friday night.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5964 on: 09 February, 2015, 06:10:59 pm »
We were informed as students that 'doctors didn't eat chips in the street'.
I don't think I ever went to the Broomhill Friary.

« Reply #5965 on: 10 February, 2015, 09:50:36 am »
Bah! Little sister has cycled to work for the first time since September.  She left her big D lock on the railings & after 4 months with no use it's seized up. Luckily she had a smaller lock with her. She's trying to sweet talk estates into finding some 3in1 or something.
At least it didn't jam with the bike locked up!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5966 on: 10 February, 2015, 11:53:43 am »
If it wasn't so bloody cold, and the sun was shining, I'd say it was a nice day, but it is and it isn't so it's not.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5967 on: 11 February, 2015, 05:51:34 am »
I'm not going to get a cup of tea before I get on the plane, sob.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5968 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:00:18 am »
Man turns up to do gas safety cert, and proceeds to do so.  He knows nothing of the repair to the leaking boiler nor the leaking radiator valve...so he read his emails then.

This has only taken a couple of months, a few letters from the Landlord to say that the certificate is no longer valid and is urgent that the certificate be renewed, and my email reply of hello not heard from the chap even though I emailed him and CC you in to everything.

Meh.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5969 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:14:59 am »
Word to self: It's been a month and a half now, and you still haven't repaired that back tyre puncture have you!

Still, it only needs pumping up twice in the day, so what's the problem?

Oh, and another thing. Before you cycle all the way into town with that 12lb chain of a lock wrapped round you, just make sure you have the key with you next time!!!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5970 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:31:28 am »
Planning to go MTBing after work is far better if you pick up the charged battery for your front light rather than the dead one :facepalm:

I blame the sun coming up too early so I don't need lights on the way in. Now it'll be a dash home before it gets too dark. :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5971 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:04:19 pm »
We were informed as students that 'doctors didn't eat chips in the street'.
I don't think I ever went to the Broomhill Friary.
They do, I've seen them!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5972 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:19:54 pm »

Apparently there wasn't an original; the authors wrote it directly in "English".

Meanwhile our club prez bought a thing called Serif X7 so that he could look after the club website. X8 is just out so X7 was going for 30 euros, so I bought one as well. Dear god. It's a UK product and the French translation is bloody horrible. E.g. "slideshow" is translated as "glissière" (drawer-type slide for those as don't know). Lots of other awkwardness: using it is 50% sussing out what they meant in the original and 50% in finding out how to do something I could do in 30 seconds with Dreamweaver.   :sick:

« Reply #5973 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:41:07 pm »
Ooooh! I've had those!

One was by a Japanese professor of media studies, teaching in a university in an English-speaking country. His English was - interesting. Imagine a very good speaker of English as a second language, who'd honed it in a media studies department. Very fluent but  slightly quirky bollocks.  :facepalm:

Well, to be fair some of it was interesting, & made sense, but the language!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5974 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:52:28 pm »
When I was in 2nd year maths at Edinburgh we had a Dutch analysis lecturer who wrote big S like little S and big V like small V and both like theta, and went like a bat out of hell into the bargain. Horrible.