Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625573 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7425 on: 12 March, 2016, 02:02:58 pm »
Fucksake Kirsten. Making sure the fridge is shut and hasn't swung open again will a) keep the contents chilled overnight and b) stop your electricity bill going through the roof. Twat.

Did Pete get his own breakfast this morning?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7426 on: 12 March, 2016, 02:25:23 pm »
Fucksake Kirsten. Making sure the fridge is shut and hasn't swung open again will a) keep the contents chilled overnight and b) stop your electricity bill going through the roof. Twat.

I have a computer that moos[1] at me when I do that.

Unfortunately it also moos at me if the fridge has recently received a fresh stock of warm objects.

[1] It seemed like the logical noise for a fridge problem.

« Reply #7427 on: 12 March, 2016, 02:57:25 pm »
Our fridge was left open overnight a couple of weeks ago. This appeared to cause something to go wrong, leading to the circuit breaker tripping. This is turn led to a bit of a panic as we were cooking for six that evening and the meal was always going to be a bit of a performance without any help from recalcitrant white goods. Fortunately, everything seemed to settle down and has worked fine since.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7428 on: 12 March, 2016, 03:34:41 pm »
Our Soft Scoop ice cream was very soft last night.
I probably didn't close the freezer properly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7429 on: 13 March, 2016, 12:14:26 am »
My dad's cousin has just put a youtube link on the book of face. It's a clip from this year's Crufts, two German Shepherds in contention for best of breed. They've been bred so that they have horrendously stooped backs and the poor things can hardly walk. I'm baffled as to how the Kennel Club can allow it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7430 on: 14 March, 2016, 10:53:17 am »
Allow it? Who do you think (1) draws up & maintains the breed descriptions which these poor creatures are bred to fit & (2) decides that the owners of the appallingly crippled mutants should be rewarded for their ghastly cruelty, at Kennel Club run dog shows?

The Kennel Club is the cause of this horror. Asking why it allows it is like asking why (Godwin alert!) Hitler allowed Auschwitz.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7431 on: 14 March, 2016, 12:52:34 pm »
<< Speaking over the phone from her home in Helsingborg on the Sweden-Denmark border, she told the BBC that meeting her mother was "nothing less than a miracle".>>

Yes, Auntie, there's a very big wet border between Sweden and Denmark.

I suppose Dover is on the England-France border...

« Reply #7432 on: 15 March, 2016, 06:34:44 am »
Right that's enough spring, I woke up with a lump the size of Vesuvius on my leg, bloody insects, and the anti histamine pills were in the loft.

Now the kettle's just become an ex kettle.

Good start to the day ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7433 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:58:27 pm »
Right that's enough spring, I woke up with a lump the size of Vesuvius on my leg, bloody insects, and the anti histamine pills were in the loft.

Now the kettle's just become an ex kettle.

Good start to the day ::-)

I am minded to purchase a 'just in case' kettle for when our latest (Sainsbury's Basics £4.50) kettle becomes an ex-kettle.
After a cleaning lady killed my then 33-year-old student kettle, others appear to have progressively shorter lifespans.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7434 on: 16 March, 2016, 08:42:32 am »
Don't you have a saucepan, for the boiling of water?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7435 on: 16 March, 2016, 08:55:44 am »
Or a paper bag.  Did that once.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7436 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:22:24 am »
Did it keep the lightning out?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7437 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:43:55 am »
<< Speaking over the phone from her home in Helsingborg on the Sweden-Denmark border, she told the BBC that meeting her mother was "nothing less than a miracle".>>

Strictly speaking, I suppose both pairs of countries have underground borders...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7438 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:50:45 am »
Did it keep the lightning out?

It kept the water in long enough to boil some frogspawn.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7439 on: 16 March, 2016, 11:27:13 am »

Strictly speaking, I suppose both pairs of countries have underground borders...

I think the S/DK one is in the middle of a bridge.  I saw a fly-on-the-wall documentary about it once; it had a copper from Malmö in it ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7440 on: 16 March, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »

I think the S/DK one is in the middle of a bridge.  I saw a fly-on-the-wall documentary about it once; it had a copper from Malmö in it ;D

That bridge is a fair bit south of Helsingør (Elsinore) Helsingborg crossing.
The gap between the two ports looks pretty wet on the maps and on Streetview.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0434018,12.687612,3a,64.2y,231.79h,86.41t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s0lEJgBMUaAmlYyHE1HCEZA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D0lEJgBMUaAmlYyHE1HCEZA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D63.513805%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7441 on: 16 March, 2016, 12:59:29 pm »
You can't expect the BBC to know about that sort of thing.  It's the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation, not the FOREIGN one and we all know what sort of people1 start at Calais and [Cont. editorial page of Daily Fail]

1: Europeans (spits)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7442 on: 16 March, 2016, 01:53:17 pm »
I was just offered a 'free energy test' by someone who asked me whether I had any glazing in my house. I said that yes, the windows all have glass in them, but it sailed so far over her head that I fear it's now in orbit.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7443 on: 16 March, 2016, 06:47:30 pm »
11 lines of A4, 1 sentence, but I had to work out where it was meant to end because the punctuation is full stops and commas used completely randomly. Who the hell writes this shit? Oh, yeah, it's from a tax office.  ::-) Well I guess I'll just have to tidy it up as I translate it, not that it will be worth reading anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7444 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:43:11 pm »
Last night, as I was falling asleep, I heard a mysterious but rather loud noise.  Sort of thing that you'd get if the contents of a distant shelf had been catted, a burglar had climbed in the kitchen window and disturbed the washing-up[1], or if your recently re-grouted tiles had spontaneously decided to sever themselves from the wall.

I sat up, noted the absence of blinkenlights consistent with the kitchen window scenario and wondered about going to check the bathroom tiles.  Then it happened again.  With the benefit of alertness and unimpeded stereo hearing, I was able to determine that it was coming from outside the window and sounded suspiciously like rubble dislodged by something heavy climbing on a dodgy outbuilding roof or a toilet being flushed into a disconnected soil stack[2].

I moved to the window and peered out.  Nothing to see.  The flushing noise again.  This time, accompanied by spitting.  I noticed the adjacent neighbours' first-floor window was open, with light coming from inside.  A shadow moved.  Dry heaving.  "Oh." I thought.

By this point barakta had woken up and inserted her hearing aid, in case of burglars.  I explained what I had learned.  "Eew" she said, "let's go back to sleep."  I went for a pee and checked on the tiles, just in case, and then joined her.

[1] DAHIKT
[2] DAHIKT either.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7445 on: 17 March, 2016, 01:53:26 pm »
Yeah I was getting cold holed by the duvet disturbances and just wanted to be asleep.

Bloody student oaves and all that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7446 on: 18 March, 2016, 07:14:11 pm »
connectright.org.uk: thank you so much for your missive of August 2013 threatening me with a fine of £20,000 if my foul and surface water were misplumbed.
Plumbers who called today confirmed ALL our water drains to the same sewer.
I need not have worried about out shower, kitchen sink and washing machine joining the outflow from the gutters; that's just the way this place was made. Yes, 1932 was 'after the 1920s'.
You really ought to have known this before scaring the shit out of me...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7447 on: 19 March, 2016, 08:14:08 am »
Folk next door are coming round so that they can get at the wall of their barn to strip off the ivy, thereby turfing out half a dozen birds' nests with chicks in - wrens, blackbirds and a few miscellaneous that we only see as brown arrows darting in and out too quickly to ID.  Fair enough, if they don't do it it'll probably pull the remains of their roof apart, but I wish they'd thought of it sooner. Humans have such bloody big feet and varmers' are bigger than most.

We also have to keep the dogs in while they're at it. Shit.

« Reply #7448 on: 19 March, 2016, 08:18:02 am »
you do realise most birds nests are protected when they have chicks in them They can only be removed once the the chicks have fledged or if the nests are somewhere that needs sorting out because of health risks.

Its also very fucking heartless.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #7449 on: 19 March, 2016, 09:52:30 am »
you do realise most birds nests are protected when they have chicks in them They can only be removed once the the chicks have fledged or if the nests are somewhere that needs sorting out because of health risks.

In the UK mebbe, but T42's in France. He's probably supposed to eat the chicks.