Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625776 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9550 on: 26 December, 2017, 11:05:23 am »
^^^^^^ I am sure that this kind of thing has something to do with our more petite asian colleagues thinking that no one could possibly have an arse that big, therefore I will trim the specified dimensions a bit.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9551 on: 26 December, 2017, 01:55:15 pm »
The sizing of clothes......  :facepalm:

Right now, I am wearing a large tee shirt and a XL jumper on my top half.  They fit with some space so are comfortable. All good eh.

No, not really as yesterday I received a new jacket that being Christmas day sized at XXL.... so of course it will fit....like hull does it! It must be smaller than a normal size for an L but then again...what is the normal size for an L????

Is it just me that gets all moany about sizes? There is not a standard so basically you have to guess if you buy something in a pack like a tee shirt or pants and then often the sizing is wrong.

And, as the jacket was brought for me by my Mum In Law, I will have to wear it despite it being too tight.  :facepalm:

You are not alone!

My grumbles/rants have mostly been about vanity sizing and trousers.

But I've made many on yacf...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9552 on: 26 December, 2017, 04:12:21 pm »
We have an Etrex 30 and a replacement Etrex 30X here. The 30 shows where I've been on the internal map but for the last few months always produces a crap GPX, failing in this manner https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=71940.0 I haven't chucked the 30 away (idiocy on my part), took it out again by mistake and now can't save the track to Strava (Festive 500 vanity), as always.

I start to edit the text using Mac TextEdit but the edited track has been severely truncated (about half an hour remaining instead of 3 hours). Some swearing results, as always.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9553 on: 28 December, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
As I fail to reverse onto our drive due to sheet ice and watch someone struggle up the slope due to sheet ice there is warmth in my heart.  Not for for the twunt of a neighbour who has, absolutely has to pressure wash his van every night when he gets home; hence the water running down the road that is now sheet ice.  No, the warmth in my heart comes from the thought of what the water he has driven into every crevice is doing to his beloved penoplasty van.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9554 on: 28 December, 2017, 06:53:00 pm »
As I fail to reverse onto our drive due to sheet ice and watch someone struggle up the slope due to sheet ice there is warmth in my heart.  Not for for the twunt of a neighbour who has, absolutely has to pressure wash his van every night when he gets home; hence the water running down the road that is now sheet ice.  No, the warmth in my heart comes from the thought of what the water he has driven into every crevice is doing to his beloved penoplasty van.

I had exactly the same grumble today. The old git at the end of the road who seems to have nothing better to do than wash multiple cars, hosing the ice rink down  >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9555 on: 30 December, 2017, 10:41:08 pm »
The loft is not a tardis  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9556 on: 30 December, 2017, 11:15:27 pm »

I had exactly the same grumble today. The old git at the end of the road who seems to have nothing better to do than wash multiple cars, hosing the ice rink down  >:(

Just to be different, can I grumble about the people who hoot at the cyclist briefly taking pesudo-primary in order to avoid a puddle of what might be sheet ice, or just concealing a shark-infested pothole, caused by same.

I really don't get this car washing thing.  They can't all be selling them?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9557 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:29:07 am »

When I took my Brum car for its MOT a couple of years ago, it occurred to me that it hadn't been washed since the previous test.  I mentioned this to the guy at the test station.  He did his best to appear amused, but his face gave away his bewilderment, disgust and hate.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #9558 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:56:17 am »
Our car gets cleaned regularly, once each year when it is serviced.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9559 on: 31 December, 2017, 08:11:33 am »
+1
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

essexian

« Reply #9560 on: 31 December, 2017, 08:27:55 am »
+1

Humpft! Our car gets cleaned at least twice a week by CBH including yesterday when after cleaning it I was told I could not use it to go to the match as: "it will only get dirty again." She washed it last week before we went up to the Chase in it and over a number of roads to the car park. Personally, I don't get it.

Strange thing is, CBH won't clean my bikes for love nor money.....

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9561 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:08:24 am »
+1

+2

It's a landrover, why would it need to be clean?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9562 on: 31 December, 2017, 11:29:52 am »

So you don't ignite the leaked oil when you start welding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9563 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:35:21 pm »
Your car is Queen Elizabeth I and I claim my five groats!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9564 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:59:20 pm »

Land Rovers don't leak... they are merely marking their territory.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9565 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:00:59 pm »
Grown-up children who have temporarily moved back in to recuperate after breaking themselves.
That is all.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Ben T

« Reply #9566 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:08:50 pm »
Slow cafes/restaurants/pubs....  :demon: sure you've been in that situation where you go into a pub, order some what should be some fairly simple food, at what point do you chivvy them on? On one side I don't want to be a pushy customer or seem grumpy or tar us cyclists with the impatient brush, but on the other hand I find it hard to believe that it's so special it actually takes quite a long time to prepare, but more that they've taken your order and have just sat on it and not bothered starting doing anything about it.
There's lots of lovely places with lovely food but which fail to inspire any confidence they haven't completely forgotten to serve it. Someone has written it down, hopes someone else will pick it up and do something about it, which is proven by the fact that as soon as you ask if there's any progress you usually get it within 10 minutes. Why didn't you just start making it when I ordered it?  :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9567 on: 31 December, 2017, 02:26:17 pm »
The sizing of clothes......  :facepalm:

Right now, I am wearing a large tee shirt and a XL jumper on my top half.  They fit with some space so are comfortable. All good eh.

No, not really as yesterday I received a new jacket that being Christmas day sized at XXL.... so of course it will fit....like hull does it! It must be smaller than a normal size for an L but then again...what is the normal size for an L????

Is it just me that gets all moany about sizes? There is not a standard so basically you have to guess if you buy something in a pack like a tee shirt or pants and then often the sizing is wrong.

And, as the jacket was brought for me by my Mum In Law, I will have to wear it despite it being too tight.  :facepalm:
Some while ago I found a XXXL Altura Night Vision jacket at the LBS knocked down to £40, which would be an ideal replacement for my faded & torn XXXL Altura Night Vision jacket.

Except the bloody thing is too small. Who devalued the X?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9568 on: 31 December, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »
Slow cafes/restaurants/pubs....  :demon: sure you've been in that situation where you go into a pub, order some what should be some fairly simple food, at what point do you chivvy them on? On one side I don't want to be a pushy customer or seem grumpy or tar us cyclists with the impatient brush, but on the other hand I find it hard to believe that it's so special it actually takes quite a long time to prepare, but more that they've taken your order and have just sat on it and not bothered starting doing anything about it.
There's lots of lovely places with lovely food but which fail to inspire any confidence they haven't completely forgotten to serve it. Someone has written it down, hopes someone else will pick it up and do something about it, which is proven by the fact that as soon as you ask if there's any progress you usually get it within 10 minutes. Why didn't you just start making it when I ordered it?  :demon:
Dunno, but I once waited almost an hour at the Tutti Pole, of all places.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #9569 on: 31 December, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »

Just to be different, can I grumble about the people who hoot at the cyclist briefly taking pesudo-primary in order to avoid a puddle of what might be sheet ice, or just concealing a shark-infested pothole, caused by same.

I was pondering this the other day. Already getting frosty about 3pm and we drove past a couple of different people all choosing that moment to wash their car. Are they unaware that water turns to ice? Have some super-urgent need for a clean car right then?

Rain is for washing our car. It only gets dirty again. OK, I confess we occasionally get the chaps in the supermarket car park to wash it and valet the inside (the latter because we had at least three christmases' worth of pine needles on the back seat). Frankly, I've never washed and never will. Life is too short.

ElyDave

« Reply #9570 on: 31 December, 2017, 06:17:36 pm »

Land Rovers don't leak... they are merely marking their territory.  :demon:

Mine is that strangest of Land Rovers, it doesn't leak. At least if it does so, not on my driveway.

Apart from that one time there was a hole in the diesel line from the pump to the engine. That was more like a flammable mist following me.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9571 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:17:33 pm »
*Waits for ElyDave's Landie to lunch its engine, transmission and axles because there's no oil in it*
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #9572 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:31:46 pm »
*Waits for ElyDave's Landie to lunch its engine, transmission and axles because there's no oil in it*

I believe that the US Marine Corps have a rule of thumb that you only start worrying about the helicopter you are flying in when the fluid leaks stop.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9573 on: 01 January, 2018, 09:01:58 am »
People who get up, shamble straight outside in their dressing-gowns for a fag, then shamble in again wheezing and reeking to spludge down beside me at the breakfast table before they take a shower should be shot. :sick:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #9574 on: 01 January, 2018, 10:26:47 am »

I believe that the US Marine Corps have a rule of thumb that you only start worrying about the helicopter you are flying in when the fluid leaks stop.  :demon:

You've all got me paranoid now.  Dipstick will be twiddled today.

As for helicopers, both I and my dad have BTDT.  In his case landing at Manston, did an inspection before the next hop and found one of the blades about 20 mins from failure.  In my case, flew out to a North Sea platform on a helicopter that crashed the next day with gearbx failure, killing 22 people.  The enquiry found that the magnetic particle detector had been showing anomolies for days