Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626004 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9625 on: 12 January, 2018, 03:01:49 pm »
Today is not a good day. First, I went to a spin class before work and managed to forget to bring any pants. :facepalm: Then, I smashed my mug. I 've had that mug for about 18 years and it's survived numerous house and office moves, but it is no more. :'(

I just want the weekend now.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9626 on: 18 January, 2018, 01:17:16 pm »
Drivers who, when the vehicle in front of them stops to turn right, drift to the left, despite the fact that there is not enough room to go past the car in front, although there was plenty of room for the cyclist THEY HAVE JUST OVERTAKEN to do so, before they filled it all up.

::-)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9627 on: 18 January, 2018, 01:39:03 pm »
Someone's put half a manhole in our wheeliebin.   >:(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9628 on: 18 January, 2018, 01:40:27 pm »
Half a hole? Is this quantum rubbish collection?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #9629 on: 18 January, 2018, 01:41:19 pm »
It seems cruelly emasculating to place just half in there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9630 on: 18 January, 2018, 01:47:51 pm »
Half a hole? Is this quantum rubbish collection?

More like quantum flytipping...

ian

« Reply #9631 on: 18 January, 2018, 01:49:30 pm »
In other grumblenews. A house on the street below ours is having some building work that seems to require constant knock knock knock. That, in and of itself, I don't mind.

It's the fact that (a) I'm anticipating the delivery of a couple of parcels and (b) from my office that sound is indistinguishable from someone knocking on the front door.

Which means I have to leap up every couple of minutes to go check that there's not someone at the door. And I mean leap because the average courier dwell time is measured in the fractions of a second, in the time it takes me to stumble from Thought Leadership Command to the front door they're usually already back at the bottom of the driveway and it's not like a I live in a bloody castle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9632 on: 18 January, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »
It's the fact that (a) I'm anticipating the delivery of a couple of parcels and (b) from my office that sound is indistinguishable from someone knocking on the front door.

This is easily solved with technology.  Kimbarakta Towers does a passable[1] impression of the Nostromo's self-destruct sequence in response to someone frobbing the doorbell, but for hearing people a sufficiently unambiguous brrrrrrrring or comedy Big Ben tune should suffice.

Then you can moan about couriers being too stupid to use the bloody thing.

[1] If, instead of a deadly xenomorph, Ripley had been trying to destroy Rod Hull and his crack team of drama students.[2]
[2] Look forward to a Broadway production of the new hit musical Aliens! just as soon as the bean-counters decide that particular shark hasn't been jumped thoroughly enough.

ian

« Reply #9633 on: 18 January, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
Well, I do have a doorbell though it distinguishes itself by occasionally not working (which is not, I feel, a useful quality in a doorbell), so it's supplemented by a 'please knock! – if no one answers please leave behind the porch or, if signature required, with [housename] next door' sign (complete with a little map showing precisely where the back of the porch is, because what's obvious to me doesn't seem so obvious to couriers, and really it is exactly where you'd think it would be).

Of course, one of the parcels arrived without even a knock. Though it was at least behind the porch rather than just left on the step to entice any thieving scrote who happens to be wandering up the hill (like I say, things obvious to me don't seem so obvious to them).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9634 on: 18 January, 2018, 06:05:26 pm »

Half a hole? Must weigh a ton!

(Actually, I do appreciate manhole covers are getting stolen and sold for scrap...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9635 on: 18 January, 2018, 06:28:13 pm »
That's the thing, it's not the cover - it's the hole!

(It's the plastic linery thing that channels all the drains together:  Looks like it's been thrown in a skip, had a hefty plank of wood or similar land on top of it - breaking off a large chunk - and the remains have somehow found their way to our bin.)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9636 on: 19 January, 2018, 08:14:11 am »
I’m trying to get my head together and motivate myself for what I know is going to be a painful day in the office, but Dr Beardy (Mrs)is being 'busy' getting chores done because she’s working at home today and wants them out of the way before she sits at her desk.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9637 on: 22 January, 2018, 12:33:35 pm »
The weather has improved, and looks mostly cycleable for the next week or so.

So obviously I woke up in the middle of the night with a chest infection.

Barakta appears to have The Snot, as is her way.

Given the timings, and how little other human contact we've had this week, the blame lies firmly with the sniffling Crapita PIP assessor who came to ask stupid/demeaning questions about (amongst other things) barakta's predisposition to upper respiratory tract infections.  Marvellous.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9638 on: 22 January, 2018, 01:29:19 pm »
Paging Alannis Morisette...
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9639 on: 22 January, 2018, 01:34:38 pm »
Paging Alannis Morisette...

It's like raaaain on your wedding day, when you make your living from meteorology...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9640 on: 22 January, 2018, 02:35:11 pm »
Quite.  Although isn't that more incompetence than irony?
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9641 on: 22 January, 2018, 02:35:39 pm »
Although isn't that more incompetence than irony?

Is what we all thought when the song came out.

(Many years ago a friend of mine wrote alternative lyrics about the irony of writing a song called "Ironic" when you don't understand what irony is[1].  That's the only line I can currently remember.)

[1] There's a school of thought that suggests this was the whole point.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9642 on: 22 January, 2018, 02:38:00 pm »
Well, I think, lacking vocational context it's safe to assume that AM's hypothetical subject was not a weather person, and thus it was mere misfortune.
Getting there...

« Reply #9643 on: 22 January, 2018, 03:06:00 pm »
Ed Byrne has been known to express views on the song. His pronunciation of unfortunate is a joy.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9644 on: 23 January, 2018, 09:32:34 am »
The skin on my face was a bit flaky, so I bought some "facial scrub".   I didn't read the ingredients properly, it uses particles of charcoal as an exfoliating agent.  I look like I'm blacking up or putting on cammo cream  :o
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9645 on: 23 January, 2018, 03:25:19 pm »
Bastard IT system which sends you an automated email telling you to do something five sodding minutes after you've done it and moved on to the next thing :facepalm:

Defence Intranet, I'm looking at you  >:(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9646 on: 23 January, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »
DO IT AGAIN, THEN!!!

Orders is orders ;)
Getting there...

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9647 on: 24 January, 2018, 09:58:13 am »
What is the point of having gravity when we still have to pedal downhill? Soddin' wind.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9648 on: 24 January, 2018, 11:01:06 am »
I've just watched a crow attempt to fly into the wind, go nowhere and decide to turn around and head the other way.  It's probably in Norfolk by now
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9649 on: 26 January, 2018, 12:33:29 pm »
Why am I incapable of trying things on in a shop, realising THEY ARE TOO BIG and putting them back? That's another pair of falling-down trousers to add to the collection.
Oh and M&S, while I'm at it, I've been <size N> for years. Why all of a sudden am I <size N-2>? I swear size N-2 wasn't even a thing when I was younger...