Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625787 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17050 on: 24 January, 2024, 01:20:27 am »
<snip>...and she appears to have resorted to Decaf.

Impugning my reputation, merely cos I left the decaf tea out last night when I restocked the small-jar... I was on full-caff this morning thank you very much!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17051 on: 24 January, 2024, 01:23:01 am »
Does anyone know what Sharepoint is actually supposed to do or how it works? It's sort of like a shared drive, but then in different views, it's like some kind of intranet, and in other views, some weird kind of document management system. What the fuck is it?

Version control for people who willingly wear ties, innit.  Will fuck up your data every bit as well as git, but leaves you with the warm fuzzy feeling that it probably isn't your fault.

barakta

« Reply #17052 on: 24 January, 2024, 01:29:42 am »
I don't mind using SharePoint if I can sync the drive to my folders in explorer. If I can only use it through a browser I hate it.

I have managed for-now to get ShitPoint to sync thru OneDrive. It's not amazing, it takes a while to sync and I have to fuck about with aliases or it does bad things to my folder structure. I have to search in the HorridWebShitPoint if I want to sort from our root level directory (I can't access more up, so had to sync each folder inside our shared root individually which suuuucks).

No one I work with understands my fury on this. The windows file system/Explore is generally keyboard navigable and used to be well behaved. Now it and ShitPoint are both glitchy and have a habit of reloading files while you're mid-filename edit or something - which is just plain fucking rude.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #17053 on: 24 January, 2024, 06:18:06 am »
After about two years at work of tearing out my hair, trying to get one drive and SharePoint to sync to my machine, I finally managed to do it. I made sure I didn’t touch anything to break it, and it carried on synchronising exactly what I wanted.

New computer at the beginning of this year, guess what I discovered yesterday. So I have to somehow start again, remember how I did all these links, pass them onto my colleagues who use these documents I produce, and all that with all the other delights of a new computer, such as one of my monitors, randomly shutting off for no good reason.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17054 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:53:12 am »
Quote from: Regulator
SharePoint is the IT version of Marmite...
Beg to differ.  Some people like Marmite.

Yes... and they're all members of the lunatic fringe of the Tory Party.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17055 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:55:09 am »
Does anyone know what Sharepoint is actually supposed to do or how it works? It's sort of like a shared drive, but then in different views, it's like some kind of intranet, and in other views, some weird kind of document management system. What the fuck is it?

Version control for people who willingly wear ties, innit.  Will fuck up your data every bit as well as git, but leaves you with the warm fuzzy feeling that it probably isn't your fault.

SharePoint is mandatory to get the correct security certification for NHS work.  It sucks.  And it's a nightmare if you want to do proper version control...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17056 on: 24 January, 2024, 11:05:58 am »
<snip>...and she appears to have resorted to Decaf.

Impugning my reputation, merely cos I left the decaf tea out last night when I restocked the small-jar... I was on full-caff this morning thank you very much!
I breathe a sigh of relief.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

« Reply #17057 on: 24 January, 2024, 01:27:33 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #17058 on: 24 January, 2024, 03:44:59 pm »
Dear colleague, the sentence you want is "The question is..." not "The ask is..."

« Reply #17059 on: 24 January, 2024, 04:45:23 pm »
Dear colleague, the sentence you want is "The question is..." not "The ask is..."

An 'ask' is usually a requirement, not a question.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #17060 on: 24 January, 2024, 06:54:07 pm »
Quote from: fimm
Aye and it's not a fucking "learning" either. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #17061 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:35:46 pm »
I have worked with proper enterprise document management systems like Documentum. Sharepoint isn't that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #17062 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:55:30 pm »
I think that Sharepoint is the repository for all the bits of code that MS have cut out of acquired applications over the years that someone didn’t want to throw away.

‘Hey Bill, what should we do with this calendar function we cut out of Visio?’, “hey Bill, this file system that we didn’t want in Minecraft is quite good, what should we do with it?”  Etc.

To which the answer became, put all those bits in a new application and call it Sharepoint. Most corporate IT firms will buy anything from us if we tell them it’s a new standard.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17063 on: 24 January, 2024, 10:33:22 pm »
People who when they park their cars in locations where on street parking is a bit limited, such as outside my Rural Idyll, and don't "shuffle up" but have half a car space in front and half a car space behind are Quite Annoying.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17064 on: 25 January, 2024, 12:56:56 pm »
Had my hair cut this morning.  I'm now really cold. :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17065 on: 25 January, 2024, 02:09:29 pm »
FFCT membership card gets a millimetre or two larger every year. Procrustean truncation required to fit CC slots in wallet, whereupon the plastification buggered off.  The organisation has never been the same since the committee had a brain fart and changed the name to FFvelo without consulting the membership.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17066 on: 25 January, 2024, 07:37:57 pm »
I don't know if there are lots of bots of Facebook Market, or just real people on there are failing the Turing test. I have answered the question "Is it still available" about 10 times. What really pisses me off is the lack of response after that.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17067 on: 25 January, 2024, 07:46:14 pm »
I don't know if there are lots of bots of Facebook Market, or just real people on there are failing the Turing test. I have answered the question "Is it still available" about 10 times. What really pisses me off is the lack of response after that.

I think people just ask because there's a pre-written text in FB and like so many people with social media (WhatsApp!!!!) are just trigger-happy.

All the stuff I list on FB Marketplace (and Freecycle/Gumtree) has "if it's listed here it's available" at the bottom of the text description -  and don't answer the "is it available" messages   (but I do make sure to delete the item as soon as I have the dosh in my hand - or collected in the case of Freecycle)

. . . for the "I'll send  UPS/DPD/Fedex with the money" messages I respond asking if they'd like to speed up the process if I send my bank details to them now  ;D

« Reply #17068 on: 25 January, 2024, 08:03:54 pm »
Probably much of it is people accidentally pressing the button, while scrolling past on their phone.
Could reply and ask when are they able to pick it up.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17069 on: 28 January, 2024, 12:23:09 am »
Dontcha just hate it when you get to bed time, really looking forward to sinking into a delicious comfy mattress and snuggling under a nice warm duvet and you have completely forgotten that when you got out of that self-same bed earlier in the day you stripped it so that you could put the linen in the laundry?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #17070 on: 28 January, 2024, 08:59:35 am »
Yesterday in Sitges , sunny Spain . Got cut up on a roundabout by a Range Rover  thingy proudly bearing a union Jack flag , GB and UK stickers . Two weeks cycling in Spain and that's the only time I have had cause to swear at a motoron . Just like in good old blighty , I had right of way and they thought, "fuck him ".
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #17071 on: 28 January, 2024, 10:29:45 am »
I stayed in a hotel last night that wanted to charge per device per night for WiFi. Which I’ve not seen in a long time. They also had a little radiator in the cupboard, which was needed (though to be fair it meant the ineffectual AC noise could be switched off).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #17072 on: 28 January, 2024, 10:43:34 am »

Oi!

I ain't worn a tie in the workplace for over 20 years, but I still have to use sharepoint. And its definitely not my fault
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17073 on: 28 January, 2024, 11:28:06 am »
I stayed in a hotel last night that wanted to charge per device per night for WiFi. Which I’ve not seen in a long time. They also had a little radiator in the cupboard, which was needed (though to be fair it meant the ineffectual AC noise could be switched off).

I don’t think I've stayed anywhere that charged for wifi since 2012.  Obv some places* have had such terrible Internets that it was much simpler not to bother, mind.  Name and shame!

* Usually in far-flung parts of Canuckistan.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17074 on: 28 January, 2024, 12:54:44 pm »

Oi!

I ain't worn a tie in the workplace for over 20 years, but I still have to use sharepoint. And its definitely not my fault

Bet someone with a tie made you use it, thobut.