Author Topic: Do You Enjoy 'Comedy'?  (Read 3634 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Do You Enjoy 'Comedy'?
« Reply #25 on: 02 October, 2018, 02:18:59 pm »
Looking at the current 1830 slot on Radio 4:

Monday: Just A minute.  Should have been pensioned off years ago
Tuesday: Start Stop. Good stuff, even though it's a repeat.
Wednesday: Rob Newman's Total Eclipse of Descrates. Sharp stuff. Keep concentrating, you'll lose track. 
Thursday: Reluctant Persuaders. The first episode in this run and I didn't catch it before (I  don't think). We've had ad agency sit coms before (Absolute Power with John Bird and Stephen Fry) so do we need another? It replaces a strained sitcom set in a stately home open to the public, which was fairly dire.
Friday: The News Quiz. The guest presenter thing is working well. The News Quiz Extra on 4 Extra is better.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Do You Enjoy 'Comedy'?
« Reply #26 on: 02 October, 2018, 02:31:17 pm »
Monday: Just A minute.  Should have been pensioned off years ago

Paul Merton is still good, though you do sometimes get the feeling he's phoning it in. Brandreth can fuck off.

Of the current panel shows, I quite enjoy The Unbelievable Truth but most of them are clearly little more than filler and quite unlistenable.

4extra have started a repeat run of the original series of Whose Line Is It Anyway? I taped those off the radio first time around (1988?) and listened to them countless times. Strangely, the one I listened to last night wasn't nearly as funny as I remembered it, though it had some LOL moments.

Wednesday: Rob Newman's Total Eclipse of Descrates. Sharp stuff. Keep concentrating, you'll lose track. 

This is good, despite the crap title. After the first one, I looked up Cyril Burt to find out more information about him. Turns out that Newman employed a fair bit of dramatic licence in his portrayal. Hmmm.

Friday: The News Quiz. The guest presenter thing is working well. The News Quiz Extra on 4 Extra is better.

Periodically changing the presenter and cast has helped keep it fresh, though I hope they never get rid of Jeremy Hardy. Bridget Christie was funny last week but she'd be better as a guest than a presenter.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."