Author Topic: OSM to buy on micro SD card  (Read 6777 times)

OSM to buy on micro SD card
« on: 17 November, 2011, 10:21:13 am »
I am now the owner of a new Etrex 30. Not sure I am capable just yet of loading the free open Cycle maps but did come across two places which sold them. One is http://shop.opencyclemap.org/collections/all but the other I cannot locate. It offered the choice of sending your own card which you could choose to have updated more than once or you could purchase ready loaded card either once or with updates. Any idea of this link? Many thanks.

Re: OSM to buy on micro SD card
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:28:04 am »
I dunno about open cycle maps, but it's certainly possible to get OSM maps (including contour/height info) for free and load them onto an SD card.  AndyGates produces some.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:59:44 am »
Yeah, it'll be free if you learn how to do it yourself, or get help from a YACFer.

Does the Etrex 30 use the same maps as the Edge 605/705?  I could help you if so.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

corshamjim

« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:48:09 pm »
I bought one from http://shop.opencyclemap.org/ a while ago.  It worked very well.  I soon found I wanted more up-to-date maps regularly though while I was adding my local NCN routes to OSM.

It might be heresy to say so on here, but I found talktoaster very good too.  http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm  Although it's probably not so bicycle-friendly.

I confess I've stopped using OSM now though.  I use the Garmin City Navigator map, with UK contours only from TalkyToaster overlaid on top. (using a Garmin Dakota 20).

« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:19:03 pm »
but the other I cannot locate. It offered the choice of sending your own card which you could choose to have updated more than once or you could purchase ready loaded card either once or with updates. Any idea of this link? Many thanks.

Perhaps you mean the talkytoaster maps ?
http://talkytoaster.info/payment-faq.htm

« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:35:59 pm »
Perhaps you mean the talkytoaster maps ?
Yes, thanks that is the one.

Does the Etrex 30 use the same maps as the Edge 605/705?  I could help you if so.

Thanks. Will come back to you once I have learned the basic principles!

« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »
Yes it can.

I am now the owner of a new Etrex 30. Not sure I am capable just yet of loading the free open Cycle maps but did come across two places which sold them. One is http://shop.opencyclemap.org/collections/all but the other I cannot locate. It offered the choice of sending your own card which you could choose to have updated more than once or you could purchase ready loaded card either once or with updates. Any idea of this link? Many thanks.
It's reasonably simple to do this yourself, so at least worth a try (assuming you have a microSD card available):
  • For the talkytoaster maps (other map producers will follow the same principles), download the map you want from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm#GPSRs-Only. (You'll probably want the first one, "British Isles Map (With Contours) - Routable" = 111111-British-Isles+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.zip)
  • Once the file is downloaded to your PC, you'll need to "unzip" it to get at the map file that ends in ".IMG", i.e. "111111-British-Isles+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.IMG".
  • Then you need to copy this ".IMG" file onto your blank microSD card. Your microSD card probably came with a SD card caddy. You might be able to insert the SD card straight into your computer, if it has a SD card reader slot. Otherwise you can get a small device (like this) that allows you to insert the SD card into a USB port. First create a directory on the microSD card called "Garmin" and then copy the ".IMG" file into the /Garmin directory.
  • Then put the microSD card into the etrex30 and the OSM mapping should be selectable via the etrex's menu system.

Note also, that the etrex 30 has quite a large internal memory (1.7GB), so it's possible to copy the ".IMG" map file (which is about 0.5GB) straight to the GPS unit without even needing a microSD card. Connect the GPS to the PC using the USB cable and then copy the ".IMG" file into the /Garmin directory on the GPS.

By learning to do this process yourself, you'll be able to update your maps periodically with the new information that's been added to OSM since you last downloaded your map.

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:44:54 pm »

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 25 November, 2011, 07:39:14 pm »
About time I looked for updates for my OSMs (for Garmin Edge 605)....

Sorry to be lazy, but what is currently the best website to get the very latest OSM maps of the Great Britain, Ireland, rest of Europe and BC Canada (in that order of importance)?

I don't need contours for Great Britain, as I already have these separately.  I have MapSource, GMapTool and MapSetToolKit, and know how to use them.

corshamjim

« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2011, 11:02:27 pm »
The wiki page for such things is:-

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

It seems to be far from complete though.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 26 November, 2011, 12:48:38 am »
^ That's very useful, thanks.  I'll have a bumper load of maps installed in MapSource - with which I can make customised combinations of map tiles anytime to put on the memory card.

« Reply #11 on: 26 November, 2011, 08:27:57 pm »
I have downloaded the file ending  .img to my SD card but so doing so I was told the disc image could not be opened as there were no mountable file systems. I have downloaded Garmin Map Manager and Map Installer Manager for the Mac but am not sure what to do with them. Don't see anything on the GPS except Base Camp. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 26 November, 2011, 08:54:47 pm »
Stat, you're only getting that error message because your computer doesn't uderstand the file, but that doesn't matter, because your computer doesn't need to do anything with it.  So don't try to open it.

Just rename it "gmapsupp.img" (if it's not already called that) and copy it to your memory card in the "Garmin" folder, or the right place on your device.

The following is sometimes necessary for my model, might not be for yours (?), but try it anyway:
     Turn the device off and on again.  Move around in the map and zoom in and out to make it refresh.  Done.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 27 November, 2011, 10:15:26 am »
These will appear as three separate maps in your device (if it works like my Edge 605).  Each can be ticked or unticked. 

Unfortunately that doesn't work on the Etrex 30 (as in, OP).  It will see them as one combined map.
Not that that is a huge problem in this case, unless you happen to live canalside!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #14 on: 27 November, 2011, 12:38:43 pm »
Hmm...

The combined talkytoaster Brit Isles+contours gets picked up ok, as is the version without contours. But just the latter with the supplementary contours - the contours don't appear on the map menu. I'm just redoing the process (actually, putting all three maps on) to see what it finds next time...

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »
if not computer savy ::-) there is the easy way... ;D  http://www.talkytoaster.info/payment-faq.htm

« Reply #16 on: 04 March, 2012, 05:21:13 pm »
My pc refuses to unpack the file or burn it as an image to CD. Tells me incorrect format or some such.

111111-British-Isles+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.IMG
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2012, 09:33:01 am »
??
I think you're confusing two (out of several) different .IMG formats.

I don't know anything about talkytoaster stuff but it looks to me as though that file just needs to be renamed, then copied to the GPS SD card.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #18 on: 05 March, 2012, 11:42:53 am »
Yup, that's right.
You don't even need to rename it for the E20/30 - just copy it onto the card, remembering to do a sync/eject/safelyremovehardware according to what OS you're using.

IME (E20/E30) you'll just see that map in the map setup menu on the device, but you won't see the contours as a separate map you can toggle.

« Reply #19 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:24:39 pm »
OIC Thank you.

deadhead1971

• http://www.scarletfire.co.uk
    • ScarletFire
« Reply #20 on: 18 March, 2012, 12:31:41 am »
??
I think you're confusing two (out of several) different .IMG formats.

I don't know anything about talkytoaster stuff but it looks to me as though that file just needs to be renamed, then copied to the GPS SD card.

I created a video tutorial showing how to install the talkytoaster map. It might just help -
http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/01/tutorial-how-to-install-free-osm-maps-to-your-garmin-edge-800/
Alan
www.scarletfire.co.uk
(lots of cycling geekery: Garmin/mapping/strava etc)

« Reply #21 on: 19 March, 2012, 09:58:49 pm »
Excellent vid Deadhead thank you. (Easy when you know how)

deadhead1971

• http://www.scarletfire.co.uk
    • ScarletFire
« Reply #22 on: 06 April, 2012, 12:59:28 am »
Excellent vid Deadhead thank you. (Easy when you know how)

You're welcome :-) Glad it was useful.
Alan
www.scarletfire.co.uk
(lots of cycling geekery: Garmin/mapping/strava etc)

« Reply #23 on: 03 July, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »
Satmap is now flogging Open Cycle Map for the UK on SD cards for its devices, both combined with OS mapping, & (at a much lower price than OS mapping alone) stand alone. It looks tempting. Not as good as OS mapping for walking, & I'm not convinced it's as clear for the countryside, but the urban mapping looks clearer than OS, it has bike routes marked, & one can buy the same area at 1:25000 for 40% of the price of OS mapping at 1:50000. And I think a trail is easier to pick out on it.

Has anyone used Open Cycle Map on a GPS? I'd be grateful for comments.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #24 on: 03 July, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »
I was under the impression that is pretty similar to the OSM mapping provided gratis through the good offices of this ere parish.