Author Topic: How do I edit a Garmin track?  (Read 6627 times)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
How do I edit a Garmin track?
« on: 10 February, 2013, 11:41:17 am »
I've just driven a course with my garmin and have uploaded the 'current track' to Garmin Connect.

It was a long route of about 300 miles, recorded on 3 days. Along the way there were may revisions and some going round in circles trying to find the best cycling routes in / out of towns etc.

Is there a gpx editor anyone could recommend which would allow me to delete the unwanted sections of the route? Perhaps also it might alow me to stitch together the three tracks (which the garmin saved in different files, one for each day - presumably as I switched it off at the end of each day).

I then want to be able to turn this into a 'route' for people to dowload and follow.

There tracks were recorded in France.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Mojo is being awakened.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: How do I edit a Garmin track?
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:49:42 pm »
I suggest Garmin Basecamp, it can do all of that stuff. You can download it for free. http://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/trip-planning-software/basecamp
As standard it includes a rather basic map, its a lot more useful if you add some detailed maps, eg you can add free OpenStreetMap based maps.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2013, 07:00:00 pm »
Thanks - just downloaded it and had a little play and it seems just the thing.
Mojo is being awakened.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2013, 07:35:32 pm »
If you prefer editing on a google map my website www.gpxeditor.co.uk might do what you need,

to start you off:
Right click -> Load
Then to delete part of it:
Right click on the track -> Edit -> Cut to start/end
To join a track up to another:
Right click on track -> Continue drawing
Draw it to within 100 yards of the start of another track, then when you right click on it you should get the option to merge it with the other track

Also if you load another file when you've already got tracks showing it will add to them, not replace them.

If you then want a route, you're probably better saving the track and importing it into something else for the time being, the create route needs a bit of improvement as it doesn't handle large monolithic tracks that aren't split up into segments that well yet, but this should improve soon.

You can save off individual tracks (Right click (on a track) -> save just this) or everything showing (Right click (not on a track) -> Save All) if you want to import it into something else to convert into a route.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:30:28 am »
There tracks were recorded in France.

You can buy Memory Map for the whole of France incredibly cheaply, for all the map you get.
I found this for £60 (IGN 1:100,000) but I can't now see the one I bought which was 1:250,000 for about £25
http://shop.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/info_France_IGN_Top100.html

MM includes very decent Track manipulation tools.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2013, 11:56:39 am »
I use this free software: lot of options, and can use Google Maps, OpenStreetMaps, NASA elevation data,... http://www.qlandkarte.org/

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2013, 04:22:23 pm »
Really? Memory Map is rather poor for this sort of thing in my experience. eg no way to show and delete individual trackpoints, or delete sections of a track, or add extra points. And joining tracks is fiddly, as you have to make sure they start/end in the same place.

« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
Really? Memory Map is rather poor for this sort of thing in my experience. eg no way to show and delete individual trackpoints, or delete sections of a track, or add extra points. And joining tracks is fiddly, as you have to make sure they start/end in the same place.

Yes, I was puzzled by that comment too.  Is there a version of MM that is better than the v4 and v5 that I have used?  When I create tracks in MM that I want to edit I generally have to use something else.  Or start again.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:16:03 am »
Yes lots of other software has batter facilities, but MM is OK for topping and tailing, splitting and joining, and relatively user-friendly insofar as any map program is (because it uses 'real' maps).
Personally I use Mapsource (or just hack around with a text editor).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll