Author Topic: eTrex Vista Hcx queries...  (Read 10291 times)

eTrex Vista Hcx queries...
« on: 06 March, 2013, 03:37:06 pm »
Please could someone kindly point me to, or even cobble together, an idiots guide for using said unit...
Mainly...  putting on a good mapping sotware e.g. http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/other-countries/uk-ireland  (as recd. by wowb)
I have also made a bikehike route, and saved as a gpx file, so how to get to see that..?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: eTrex Vista Hcx queries...
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:42:05 pm »
You have clearly found the map. It's the version for GPX device.

1. Download the GMAPSUPP.GPX file to your hard disc.

2. Get a suitable micro SD card (mine will read an 8GB one. 2Gb is plenty for most purposes).

3. Ensure that the SD card has a directory called "Garmin" on it. If it hasn't, create it. I don't think it's case sensitive.

4. Put the GMAPSUPP.GPX file into the Garmin directory.

5. Put the SD card into the Etrex HCx.

You can do this by transferring the file onto the card when it's in the Etrex, using the USB cable. It's normally quicker to use a card reader.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:28:37 pm »
1. Download the GMAPSUPP.IMG file to your hard disk.

FTFY

.IMG files are maps.  .GPX files are tracks/routes/waypoints

(and disks are magnetic   ;))

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »
To do anything useful with the GPX files, you'll need Mapsource or a functionally similar piece of software (eg. Basecamp or Memory Map or something).

You can download MapSource from http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

Once you've opened a GPX file in MapSource, it's reasonably straightforward to upload the tracks/routes/waypoints to the eTrex.

« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:44:31 pm »
Thanks. So which one of these...  from OFM

Openfietsmap(UK).zip   version for Mapsource/Basecamp   
 OFM(UK_gmapsupp).zip   version for GPS device

What would a unit normally come pre-loaded with (pick it up tomorrow).  The one I bought was apparently used once.  I have a 2Gb microSD card in my phone I can try for starters.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »
Ideally, you need both.  If you install the map in Mapsource, then you can see the map while you manipulate routes and so on on your PC.  Mapsource will also (as the name suggests) allow you to upload the map from it to the eTrex - creating a GMAPSUPP.IMG on it directly.  Alternatively, you can download the GMAPSUPP.IMG file and put it on the SD card yourself (which will be substantially faster if you have a USB2/3 capable card reader - the eTrex itself is only capable of USB1 speeds).

The units don't usually come pre-loaded with anything apart from a very basic basemap (which has a few 'A' roads and major towns, but little else) which is hard-coded into the firmware.  If you purchase additional maps from Garmin, they're supplied either on a SD card, or a DVD for installing in Mapsource/Basecamp and then uploading to the GPS unit.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:53:32 pm »
Sorry - yes, GMAPSUPP.IMG.

I make no apology for spelling disc correctly.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:01:21 pm »
You can download a route/track directly from Bikehike if you install the Garmin Communicator plugin. Then just click on "Save route", and choose the option for download to GPS unit.

Though I think its usually worth downloading the GPX file and opening it in Basecamp, so you can see what's actually happening, and what's already loaded on the Etrex.

« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2013, 12:23:03 am »
Thanks wowb, kim, fuaran. 

Would this be the up to date mapsource..?    http://download.cnet.com/Garmin-MapSource/3000-20422_4-75123302.html
Base camp  http://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/trip-planning-software/basecamp

What's the diffs?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2013, 12:59:10 am »
I linked to the official download pages for the Garmin software above.  Better to get it from there than a third-party site.

MapSource is older, and contemporary with the Vista HCx.  BaseCamp is newer and better suited to some of the features of the newer models.  I believe they both do the basics equally well, so there's not a lot in it.  Being used to MapSource, my brief foray into BaseCamp was frustrating, but I'm sure it makes sense when you've got the hang of it.

« Reply #10 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:19:53 am »
I linked to the official download pages for the Garmin software above.  Better to get it from there than a third-party site.

MapSource is older, and contemporary with the Vista HCx.  BaseCamp is newer and better suited to some of the features of the newer models.  I believe they both do the basics equally well, so there's not a lot in it.  Being used to MapSource, my brief foray into BaseCamp was frustrating, but I'm sure it makes sense when you've got the hang of it.

Thanks Kim.   :)    Must have been getting late for me there...   :-[   

I noticed from the Garmin site that it said (for Mapsource) 
WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.
Would I have this?  I mean the OFMap is for mapsource, but not from Garmin...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March, 2013, 08:41:51 am »
You should have a CD of 'Trip & Waypoint Manager' supplied with your GPS.  If you haven't, contact your supplier ...

T&WM is a very cut-down Mapsource, so I think Mapsource should install over it.

Another way, apparently, is to install Garmin Training Centre first, then Mapsource. (Never done this myself)

A point to note, if you haven't got a software CD with your GPS - you DO need the Garmin 'USB driver' which is on that disk.  The USB driver is obtainable free from the Garmin Website, as is 'Garmin Connect' which allows you to connect with BikeHike or BikeRouteToaster direct.
Install both those, to improve the usability of your GPS.
NB that Garmin Connect won't work with an Etrex Legend or Vista, unless you have already installed the USB driver.  (This is often overlooked, because for most users who bought an Etrex new, the driver installed invisibly when they put the CD in ...)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #12 on: 07 March, 2013, 09:51:34 am »
Houston I have a problem.  Unit arrived, boxed, disks, manual, lanyard, usb cable, but no auxiliary mount adapter (little clip thing) for mounting the unit...   :(   ::-) What should I do?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March, 2013, 09:57:23 am »
1st suggestion, may not seem very helpful but ... look again ...  :-\
(if it's new or as new, boxed)
(it should definitely be included and they are notoriously difficult to obtain separately)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #14 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:22:30 am »
1st suggestion, may not seem very helpful but ... look again ...  :-\
(if it's new or as new, boxed)
(it should definitely be included and they are notoriously difficult to obtain separately)

The ebay 'condition' is Used, but it's described by seller as "As New"...

« Reply #15 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:31:01 am »
Do you mean the little plastic widget that screws onto the back cover of the gps and that fits into the handlebar mount?  If so, I may be able to help.

« Reply #16 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:38:13 am »
Do you mean the little plastic widget that screws onto the back cover of the gps and that fits into the handlebar mount?  If so, I may be able to help.

Yes it looks like this...

« Reply #17 on: 07 March, 2013, 11:30:09 am »
OK.  PM me with an address and I'll pop one in the post tomorrow.  It's an old one (off an eTrex I no longer use) but appears to be perfectly serviceable.

« Reply #18 on: 07 March, 2013, 01:12:44 pm »
OK.  PM me with an address and I'll pop one in the post tomorrow.  It's an old one (off an eTrex I no longer use) but appears to be perfectly serviceable.

Amazing, thanks a lot.  :thumbsup:

(YHPM)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #19 on: 07 March, 2013, 01:31:26 pm »
You should have a CD of 'Trip & Waypoint Manager' supplied with your GPS.  If you haven't, contact your supplier ...

T&WM is a very cut-down Mapsource, so I think Mapsource should install over it.

Another way, apparently, is to install Garmin Training Centre first, then Mapsource. (Never done this myself)
Or install Basecamp first, then installing Mapsource will work.

Though I think you might as well just use Basecamp. It is generally easier to use, and mostly makes more sense (once you figure that it uses a database for your routes/tracks etc, not individual files).
Plus it has quite a few useful features for things that are not possible in Mapsource. And it is actually being updated/improved, the developers do seem to read comments on the forums.

« Reply #20 on: 07 March, 2013, 04:50:54 pm »
What method do peeps use to stop their etrex rattling away? Gaffa tape or why?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: 07 March, 2013, 05:08:02 pm »
Trying to add a garmin folder, but the (phone) microSD card (bought from amazon ) I have is write protected.  Reformat?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 07 March, 2013, 05:31:46 pm »
FAT 32, and no idea about write-protection.

For the older style eTrex brackets, I apply a single layer of gaffer tape to the bottom of the 'channel' on the bracket.  This stops the rattling completely.  I also use a lanyard around the bars/stem-onna-derailleur-post as appropriate so if it should get knocked/kicked out, it won't go too far.

The newer Oregon-style brackets on the eTrext 10/20/30 don't rattle.  But can do a convincing impression of latched when they aren't, so the lanyard is still worthwhile.

« Reply #23 on: 07 March, 2013, 05:39:25 pm »
FAT 32, and no idea about write-protection.

For the older style eTrex brackets, I apply a single layer of gaffer tape to the bottom of the 'channel' on the bracket.  This stops the rattling completely.  I also use a lanyard around the bars/stem-onna-derailleur-post as appropriate so if it should get knocked/kicked out, it won't go too far.

The newer Oregon-style brackets on the eTrext 10/20/30 don't rattle.  But can do a convincing impression of latched when they aren't, so the lanyard is still worthwhile.

Couldn't reformat cos of write protection.  Seems the Kingston adapter is missing the tiny lock switch for some reason... 

While I'm getting a new adapter, anyone know if the Vista HCx will take SDHC/4Gb?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 07 March, 2013, 05:54:12 pm »
That shouldn't be a problem.

Dez suggests applying a small piece of sellotape to over-ride the write protection.