Author Topic: 'Posh' EMail Addresses  (Read 14595 times)

Re: 'Posh' EMail Addresses
« Reply #75 on: 14 February, 2013, 04:24:18 pm »
You lot need to get out more
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #76 on: 14 February, 2013, 10:28:02 pm »
Way back, when I worked for the UK bit of AT&T we had e-mail addresses that were in the format     !name    (i.e. an exclamation mark at the front - although they called it a "bang" )

It was an internal e-mail BUT somehow linked to the outside world's, then, primitive e-mail network ... I can recall having in 1993 an early clamshell  notebook PC (an AT&T Safari ... made, I think, by NCR) - with a modem that plugged in and ran at about 300baud on a dial up - with a mono screen of course.   Those were the days!

Rob

You needed to give path from some well known node, so you'd see addresses along the lines of ...!ucbvax!uc4!uel!quaduk!person

We probably know a few people in common as back then I used to do a lot of work with AT&T in the UK, mostly with USL.

I have such a great email address that I get email most weeks asking if they can have an address in the domain, to which I have to tell them that if they can't prove that they know what V7 is and why HoneyDanber was a great step forwards then they go away.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #77 on: 14 February, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »
Ah, Prestel!

Micronet - what fun that was. And of course, Shades, the first mainstream multi-player online game.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #78 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:00:24 am »
I have such a great email address that I get email most weeks asking if they can have an address in the domain, to which I have to tell them that if they can't prove that they know what V7 is and why HoneyDanber was a great step forwards then they go away.

I keep getting e-mails from random lusers asking if they can place advertising-announcements on my crummy and not-updated-any-more webshite.

They get a one-word answer :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #79 on: 19 February, 2013, 10:40:17 am »
I moderate a work forum.

We had a student try to register using <name>@captchabuster.com (or something similar).

I rejected them, they can sod off and use their uni email address like they are supposed to, or something sensible.  The other moderators agreed  ;D
<i>Marmite slave</i>