Author Topic: Vuelta...embarassing  (Read 18307 times)

Vuelta...embarassing
« on: 20 August, 2011, 09:03:16 pm »
It's rare that I post, especially new topics but my dander is up (as they say in these parts :o)
Teams- No one seemed interested - Movistar and Astana even admitted they don't know who their leader is
TV coverage-utterly appalling! sound cut out , crap picutures missing all the juicy stuff
ITV4- just so awful- I like Ned but as anchor presenter he is out of his league- mind you it'll all be on a budget of €50
Commentator- aussie pratt- makes you really appreciate Phil and paul
Post race - ITV4 obviously don't have own reporter for post stage- interviews- like why was Cav 2m45 off, what about Wiggo and his usual dismissive comments about why it won't matter they are 40s off pace on a 16m stage
Edited "highlights" was shown all out of order

Was looking forward to seeing some stages live- cant be arsed now :demon:

Rant over

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Vuelta...embarassing
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2011, 09:08:20 pm »
The muppet who edited the highlights should be thoroughly sporked ashamed  :demon:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2011, 09:24:43 pm »
Have to say that I too was underwhelmed by the ITV4 "coverage" ... when the first team went off and the bloke said that Sky had lost n time .... it went even further downhill from there.

It does seem that the Vuelta in terms of ranking in the "3 Grand Tours" comes in at about No 10 ... massive disinterest from the teams and pretty much everyone else ... may be  that it's because of timing? - used to be in September IIRC ... but then of course we have the, yawn, Tour of Britain filling that slot now.   The other factor affecting the teams is that the riders are in the "transfer window" for next year's contracts.

Poor old Ned seemed almost ashamed of what he was doing ... and what did Rendell (those facial expressions!!) and Swift add? ... nothing.

Rob  (Disappointed of Stratford-upon-Avon)

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2011, 09:25:14 pm »
Bradley's interview included the comment 'we have been treated like dogs for the last hour'. What was that all about?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2011, 04:04:17 pm »
the Vuelta in terms of ranking in the "3 Grand Tours" comes in at about No 10 ... massive disinterest from the teams and pretty much everyone else ... may be  that it's because of timing? - used to be in September IIRC ... Rob  (Disappointed of Stratford-upon-Avon)

The Vuelta used to take place in April up to the mid 90's (can't remember exact year). It was moved because it was too close to the Giro.
I quite enjoy Matt Rendell's contributions .
Working my way up to inferior.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2011, 08:37:06 am »
Yeah the coverage is lacking a little sparkle, but it's bike racing on (nearly) primetime TV.  When you compare it with the 5s summaries you used to get on World of Sport in the dim and distant, "...and a Belgian cyclist called, how do you say this name? Murks? has won a stage in a French bicycle race.  Now; back to the wrestling with Jackie Pallo and Mick McManus..." it's fucking marvellous.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2011, 08:56:46 am »
Yeah the coverage is lacking a little sparkle, but it's bike racing on (nearly) primetime TV. 

With really *ahem* interesting approaches to colour that would have redshift rolling eyes and tearing hair out..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »
Yeah the coverage is lacking a little sparkle, but it's bike racing on (nearly) primetime TV. 

With really *ahem* interesting approaches to colour that would have redshift rolling eyes and tearing hair out..

Well, since it exaggerated the blue (the only attractive colour in my world), it was my idea of heaven. I wish you could really buy jerseys that colour. It was only in evidence on the Moto 1 camera as far as I could tell.
The journey is always more important than the destination

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »
The other factor affecting the teams is that the riders are in the "transfer window" for next year's contracts.

...which seems to be the main reason why Thor Hushovd isn't even there. Which is a big shame.

Good to see a few of the big-name riders who weren't selected for the TdF though - Sagan, Nuyens, Rodriguez. And hopefully, Wiggo will last more than a few days in this one.

The picture quality is pretty awful - don't think this is ITV's fault as it's the same on Eurosport. Presumably they're taking the same feed from Spanish TV. No excuse for ITV's shoddy editing of the highlights though. And at least Eurosport have brought their A-list commentary team. You could almost believe it was a last-minute decision by ITV to cover the race...

But yes, it's encouraging that they did decide to cover it, however late in the day they left it. Maybe we'll even get the Giro and the Spring classics on ITV as well next year.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »
You could almost believe it was a last-minute decision by ITV to cover the race...

I think it was. With such a strong response to the Tour, and the presence of Wiggins and Cavendish, it made it a good decision to take. Unfortunately the A-team for commentary apepar to have been unavailable.

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 22 August, 2011, 06:03:42 pm »
That was meant to be a joke. It definitely was a last-minute decision.

The budgetary constraints are evident in the choice of commentatary. AIUI, they can only afford to get Phil'n'Paul in for the TdF because they're sharing them with American TV.

Boardman has mentioned on Twitter that he's not covering it because he's on holiday, though he might be back before the end of the race.

Ned is obviously contracted to ITV. I like him. He's my favourite of the regular TdF team and I think he makes a decent anchor.

No idea where Gary Haircut is though. Probably on holiday too.

d.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #11 on: 22 August, 2011, 06:24:02 pm »
According to Chris Boardman, Gary Imlach only works on the TDF. Despite being one of the sports presenters there is, that's the only thing he chooses to do all year.

The whole thing, the Spanish TV pictures, the Aussie commentator, and ITV's cheapo production, are all spectacularly shoddy and amateurish. But, as said upthread, it's a Grand Tour on proper telly so who gives a monkeys.

a great mind thinks alike

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2011, 09:41:58 pm »
That Aussie commentator with his 'Haitch-T-C' bugs the life out of me.  It was bad enough with Ben Swift saying it!! >:(
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:06:12 am »

Ned is obviously contracted to ITV. I like him.

And his book is very good.

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:56:29 am »
According to Chris Boardman, Gary Imlach only works on the TDF. Despite being one of the sports presenters there is, that's the only thing he chooses to do all year.

He also used to do American football when it was on C4 and he was great on that. I've totally gone off American football since C4 lost the rights. And who was it who did the sumo commentary? He was superb. Again, TV coverage of sumo has never been the same since C4 lost it.

But, as said upthread, it's a Grand Tour on proper telly so who gives a monkeys.

And for that we are truly grateful.

d.

« Reply #15 on: 23 August, 2011, 06:57:44 pm »

But, as said upthread, it's a Grand Tour on proper telly so who gives a monkeys.

And for that we are truly grateful.

d.

+1

fuzzy

« Reply #16 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:56:28 pm »
Apparently Cav has withdrawn today as well.....

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #17 on: 24 August, 2011, 02:07:15 am »
As far as the Phil'n'Paul debate goes, they aren't available to ITV, because AFAIK they aren't covering it. It's not on their US channel (versus) here, it's on another channel (Universal Sports), the same that did the Giro. Coverage here is ok, 3 hours live every morning, but it's not in HD!

I've always found it the most boring of the 3 GTs. Especially after you have feasted on Le Tour, at least the Giro whets your appetite.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #18 on: 24 August, 2011, 07:19:06 am »
Switching to Eurosport, we too have been at the mercy of Spanish TV, whose grasp of technology seems to be about 20 years behind the times.  But at least we have the great Sean Kelly on commentary.  We've started a word bingo competition for his stock phrases - 'Playing the waiting game' and  'Doing the calculation' are winning at the moment.  We award ourselves a bonus when we spot him using both in the same sentence  :)
Aero but not dynamic

David Martin

« Reply #19 on: 24 August, 2011, 08:55:23 am »
The live commentary for the US Pro Challenge (Tour of Colorado) is quite entertaining. You get the (correct) impression that the commentators are as much spectators as you are, as they sit there talking about anything and everything (how to pronounce 'Crested Butte'). It went rather 'test Match Special'  yesterday..

And if you've just joined us the current state is that nothing is happening. It is an arrow straight road for miles, the peloton are just rolling along chatting amongst themselves and the two guys off the front are probably not enjoying this so much. They make very good cakes in this part of the world. Oh look, the man with the graphics has got his pointer out again. You can see Cadel Evans riding along in the bunch...

David Martin

« Reply #20 on: 25 August, 2011, 09:24:24 am »
Arghh.. ITV - don't show the stage winner crossing the line in the *opening credits*. Your editor needs to be given a good kicking.

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 25 August, 2011, 05:26:42 pm »

« Reply #22 on: 25 August, 2011, 08:37:48 pm »
Which is more embarrassing - ITV's coverage or Liquigas's team tactics?

You would have thought they'd've sorted out which of the four of them (and Pablo Lastras) was going to win before they got to the 1km kite. Like the night before? Or even on the way up the last climb.

« Reply #23 on: 25 August, 2011, 08:40:27 pm »
What about the Headway ad for helmets with Cracknell in the Eurosport coverage, then?

I'll take this over to Lift the Lid.

« Reply #24 on: 28 August, 2011, 10:29:01 am »
More embarassment - ITV4 is not showing the Angliru stage live.

Apparently, some chaps driving cars round in circles is more interesting.