Author Topic: What's a "Tourist Trophy" event?  (Read 1847 times)

gordon taylor

What's a "Tourist Trophy" event?
« on: 21 September, 2008, 08:52:39 pm »
The Tricycle Association are running a Tourist Trophy in the Midlands on 12th October. The onlne info just gives a pub as a starting point and the instruction "Start any time after 10:30."

None of the contact people have email, so I'm asking for yACF wisdom.
How fast? How far?

Re: What's a "Tourist Trophy" event?
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2008, 09:13:59 pm »
I'll be there.

It is something like the old BCTC (which being a CTC event barred tricycles).  It is primarily map reading and observation.  Hence is a fast or slow as you make it since it is a solo event and rather short.  As I recall, last year's was 20 miles in the morning, probably less, meeting back at the pub for lunch (don't forget to phone the oragniser so he knows how many to expect), with another 10 miles or so in the afternoon.  It's an excuse for a social get together.  Last year Mrs Trykit won it which I think was a fiddle since she was on only 2 wheels. ;D

byegad

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2008, 11:16:05 am »
I thought TT stood for Time Trial, which would make sense of 'start anytime after 10.30'.

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2008, 11:38:44 am »
I thought TT stood for Time Trial, which would make sense of 'start anytime after 10.30'.
In general yes.  However, the full title here is Macs TATT because the trophy is made of bits the organiser has lying around (Tricycle Association Tourist Trial - or Trophy).  Since it is an individual event this also makes sense of "start any time after 10:30".  The event is limited to tricyclists.

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2008, 02:23:58 pm »
...being a CTC event barred tricycles...

Eh? This sounds barmy!
Profit or planet?