Author Topic: Jacket that changes colour  (Read 2934 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Jacket that changes colour
« on: 14 April, 2008, 01:07:15 pm »
Have you seen this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7345902.stm

To tell you the truth, I haven't, as we can't watch vids at work, but it looks either interesting or daft.  I'm not sure which yet.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Chris S

Re: Jacket that changes colour
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:12:50 pm »
It was on brekkie tv this morning.

It looks daft. You raise an arm to signal, and a panel on the sleeve flashes orange. So what about when you raise your arm to wipe snot from your nose?

When you apply the brakes, a large panel on the back lights up red; the rest of the time it's green.

Damn - if motons don't seen you when you're decked in fluorescent and reflective gear, they probably won't see you in this get up either.

Edit: Oh, and a presenter said "Lot's of cyclists are killed every year" without any kind of qualification, which immediately told me where to file the info in that feature.

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:15:39 pm »
Isn't it illegal to display any colour other than red to the rear (bar an amber turning signal) ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:17:50 pm »
Would be much better to fit cars with a pneumatic ram behind the steering wheel, that would fire the wheel into the driver with the same impact force they had just delivered to whatever ped/cyclist/biker they didn't see.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:18:24 pm »
When I saw the title, I thought this would be like those multi-coloured paint schemes which change colour depending upon which angle you look at the car!

This indicating jacket is one of those solutions the world just isn't ready for.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:22:38 pm »
"Why aren't you on the fahkin' cycle path? Why aren't you wearin' a fahkin' light-up jacket?"

And it 'will hopefully cost only £100' :o

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:22:49 pm »
I think he should have launched that jacket on 1st April ;D

« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:06:09 pm »
I saw it on the telly this morning too, and he said that the arm signals operate by motion sensors. Fair enough, but how does the thing know when you're braking unless you're wired up somehow? He also had to do more of a Nazi salute than an indicating signal with his arm to get it to work.

I don't know why they give airtime to this rubbish? £100 ffs...

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:30:07 pm »
and useless if you commute with a rucksack.

cue the dragons den: "it's the solution to a problem that does nae exist, so am oot"
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Zoidburg

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2008, 06:26:01 pm »
Lights up with rapid deceleration?

Does this mean the motorist will finally see you when you hit his door?

Complete pish idea