Author Topic: More Lidl bike stuff...  (Read 4704 times)

More Lidl bike stuff...
« on: 01 April, 2008, 12:15:58 pm »
...next Monday.

Has anyone got any experience of the panniers or the track pumps? As always with Lidl stuff they are cheap but I don't want them if they're just going to fall apart!

Re: More Lidl bike stuff...
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2008, 03:53:19 pm »
OOOoohhhhhhhhhh....  <checks site>

I haven't got that particular pannier  :(  but of the previous ones I have the following comments.

Laptop bag.  Has hooks for pannier rack.  Needs straps changing from velcro to custom cut down bungee.  VERY GOOD.  bottom corner holed in about 7 miles, but then lasted for hundreds of miles.  Was replaced eventually (a hook got snapped off when I caught the bag on something as I rode past) but that one was damaged beyond repair when a car drove into me.  I've been waiting to get a new one ever since.

One piece throw over panniers, two side bags and a top bag.   Crap.  Zips have failed and burst open while doing up. 

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2008, 04:08:26 pm »
I supplied my 3 grandsons with a Track Pump last time they were on sale.

I failed to encourage them to pump their tyres up but at least I get a decent pump when I get co-opted. 

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 07:19:46 pm »
They have walking stuff today - I got some trousers, a coat and a pair of walking shoes for £23. They all seem very good value. :) Oh, and Tchibo have 'sports' sunglasses for £4.something which are excellant. 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »
Aldi have running jackets, trousers, socks etc this Thursday that might be cycle-suitable.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2008, 07:25:13 pm »
I bought the track pump and hated it, not least because the hose come out of the handle not the body; but did use the dual valve adaptor at the end instead of the awful brass screw-in Presta to Schrader adaptor on my Argos one, which now means I have no pressure gauge.

The seat bag's done a couple of year's Audaxing; the contents were all pulled straight out and left at work for emergency repairs on the folder.

Si

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2008, 03:44:48 pm »
Looking to get the track pump (if only to use the end on my silka which doesn't stay on short valves well), the tent, and the bin's.  And an interesting weekend I shall have with those three items  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2008, 11:36:27 am »
Hmm I think I'll make my mind up about the panniers when I've had a look at them. If they're no good I'll just get the cheapest DHB ones from Wiggle instead.

« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2008, 08:07:33 pm »
Aldi have running jackets, trousers, socks etc this Thursday that might be cycle-suitable.
they have bike stuff on may 1st which should be even more so.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

RainOrShine

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:33:02 pm »
Any comments on the Lidl toolkit please?  (in terms of quality and comprehensiveness)  In particular, does it have a chain whip and lock ring doobrey for the removal and replacement of cassettes?  I can't easily tell from the picture, theres something that looks like it might be a chain whip but as for the other I'm not sure what I'm looking for. ???

« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:44:16 pm »
Any comments on the Lidl toolkit please?  (in terms of quality and comprehensiveness)  In particular, does it have a chain whip and lock ring doobrey for the removal and replacement of cassettes?  I can't easily tell from the picture, theres something that looks like it might be a chain whip but as for the other I'm not sure what I'm looking for. ???

Yes it has both, although I had to look at the leaflet in it to find out which doobrey was a lock ring doobrey :)

The only thing I've used from it that was no good was the crank extractor, everything else so far has been fine.

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2008, 12:11:53 am »
The toolkit is pretty good. I used mine to build up a bike last year. Never had any problem with the crank extractor which has been used a few times since.

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2008, 12:11:50 pm »
does it have a cable cutter?
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #13 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:58:38 am »
Got the toolkit well worth £20 and a snowy ride to get it.
My local Lidl also had helmets, shoes, wireless computers, bungies, pumps, locks and a few other cycle related bits. Lots of motorcycle stuff left too.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:32:03 pm »
does it have a cable cutter?

No but my local LiDL had cable cutters separately (in the DIY tools promo from a few days ago.)

Loads of stuff at the Lochee LiDL, plenty of tool kits.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #15 on: 07 April, 2008, 04:01:23 pm »
Collected a toolkit and a clip on rear splash guard today.  Also a bumper pack of 150 colouring pens, pencils, crayons and oil sticks.

« Reply #16 on: 07 April, 2008, 04:15:42 pm »
I got the sunglasses this afternoon (one of the few cycling bits left) and they are bloody good. Very impressed.

« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:40:12 pm »
I went this evening to get some panniers, ended up deciding not to get them after all but I did get a seat pack/tool kit, insulated water bottle, cycling gloves, bungee straps, a tent and 3 cactuses instead  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:54:59 pm »
Went in for a toolkit, bought a bottle and panniers (for which I'll need to source a rack, as I don't have one at the moment ;D) on impulse

Then I had a nice ride in the snow :)