Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 185755 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #725 on: 01 September, 2018, 12:28:36 pm »
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #726 on: 06 September, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »
... you finally give in and buy reading glasses.  :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #727 on: 07 September, 2018, 09:13:56 am »
When drying off after your shower, you discover one armpit still full of soap.  And realize it's not for the first time.

I get excited by off-cuts of wood that will make ideal paint-stirrers at some point in the future.

Hah! I'm currently rooting through off-cuts from jobs I did 25 years ago in search of pieces of timber suitable for guitar necks because the DIY shops don't stock anything decent any more.  And realizing that that metre-long 20 x 50mm chunk of sapele that I casually used for the last one will probably be the last I see unless I order on-line.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #728 on: 07 September, 2018, 09:58:04 am »

I get excited by off-cuts of wood that will make ideal paint-stirrers at some point in the future.

Hah! I'm currently rooting through off-cuts from jobs I did 25 years ago in search of pieces of timber suitable for guitar necks because the DIY shops don't stock anything decent any more.  And realizing that that metre-long 20 x 50mm chunk of sapele that I casually used for the last one will probably be the last I see unless I order on-line.

Get some Birds-eye Maple. It's only three-ha'pence a foot.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #729 on: 07 September, 2018, 11:52:07 am »

A ha'penny too much...
Penny a foot's more the mark
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #730 on: 07 September, 2018, 12:21:37 pm »
He's doing guitar necks, not finishing the side of his bunk.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #731 on: 07 September, 2018, 12:27:46 pm »
When drying off after your shower, you discover one armpit still full of soap.  And realize it's not for the first time.

that's not middle-age! What a terrible suggestion.

It's because my mind fills up with Very Important Matters while I shower (and other times).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #732 on: 07 September, 2018, 12:59:01 pm »

A ha'penny too much...

And when it rains...….

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #733 on: 07 September, 2018, 01:31:30 pm »

Hard to find here. On line a chunk of quilted maple 95 x 10 x 3.5 cm will rush you > 100€. I'd settle for ash but that's around 60€.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #734 on: 30 November, 2018, 12:18:37 pm »
At school parents evening, there's a new maths teacher so while waiting to see him I ask my son what he's like.
"Like a maths teacher. Not as dull as the last one. Middle aged."
When we got to see him, he was about 30! But then... viewed chronologically, never mind from the point of view of a teenager, that is most definitely middle aged. "You start to lose all your youth when you're past 30."
More interestingly, he was wearing a tie with a bicycle pattern.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #735 on: 01 December, 2018, 05:20:15 pm »
You local heritage railway is running trains of your childhood, not steam

There is a 3 carriage unit shuttling up & down the Coastway line (Portsmouth to Brighton) which is done up in the old BR livery.  Took me by surprise the first time I saw it.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/fleet/br-blue-repaint-for-pioneer-class-313
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #736 on: 01 December, 2018, 10:15:51 pm »
...don't know what you got till it's gone. See Paradise...

OK not Paradise, but strikes me the old BR livery had a degree of elegance and restraint lacking in some of the more recent TOC liveries.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #737 on: 01 December, 2018, 10:30:41 pm »

A ha'penny too much...

And when it rains...….

Oh purleeze! If you are going to continue the poem, do your best to make it accurate!  :P

"A penny a foot, and when rain comes..."
The loss of humanity I could live with.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #738 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:38:48 am »

A ha'penny too much...

And when it rains...….

Oh purleeze! If you are going to continue the poem, do your best to make it accurate!  :P

"A penny a foot, and when rain comes..."

;D  (goes off to see where he parked his Ark, before offering a lift....)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #739 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:50:23 am »
    I know I am middle-aged (which I am) because:
    • I worry about our students when it's cold, especially when they don't have coats.  I have to stop myself from giving them my coat, scarf, hat gloves etc and making them wear them
    • I no longer need to bleach bits of my hair to dye them pink or orange or blue; areas now appear naturally
    • Block parties start at 12 am - That's usually when I wake up to make my first nocturnal trip to the bathroom
  • I get excited when I find time to do some knitting.  I also get excited about learning new knitting stitches. Until a few years ago, I didn't have the patience to knit as I had to be on the go.  Now I don't have the energy to be on the go all the time.

fuzzy

« Reply #740 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:54:58 am »
I can go with the cold weather one Lou.

I used to be the one wandering round, de icing cars whilst wearing a t shirt and shorts. I was also the go to bed warmer. Mrs F used to rely on me going to be 10 minutes before her as I used to get pleasure from climbing into a chilled bed and warming up. Too chuffing cold for that nowdays.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #741 on: 02 December, 2018, 10:04:33 am »

I used to be the one wandering round, de icing cars whilst wearing a t shirt and shorts. I was also the go to bed warmer. Mrs F used to rely on me going to be 10 minutes before her as I used to get pleasure from climbing into a chilled bed and warming up. Too chuffing cold for that nowdays.

;D   Being a woman and middle-aged means that I am the one to warm up the bed.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #742 on: 02 December, 2018, 12:50:06 pm »
T. M. I.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #743 on: 02 December, 2018, 05:37:10 pm »
Being a woman and middle-aged means that I am the one to warm up the bed.

In contrast, my middle-aged wife is the block of ice who sleeps in PJs in a sleeping bag under her duvet and blankets, often aided by a hot water bottle while I am one of nature's radiators who sleeps naked under a summer duvet.

I'm with you RR, though not literally  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuzzy

« Reply #744 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:45:44 pm »

;D   Being a woman and middle-aged means that I am the one to warm up the bed.

;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #745 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:48:57 pm »
i have often wondered whether there was a living to me made, offering my bed-warming services to thermally-challenged ladies...

« Reply #746 on: 02 December, 2018, 10:06:06 pm »
i have often wondered whether there was a living to me made, offering my bed-warming services to thermally-challenged ladies...

On heat?  At your age?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #747 on: 02 December, 2018, 10:08:41 pm »

On heat?  At your age?

Santa comes down a lot of people's chimbleys* at this time of year...

*And brings along his chimbley brush.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #748 on: 02 December, 2018, 10:11:35 pm »
You are Wow - as ever - delightfully crude  :thumbsup:

« Reply #749 on: 03 December, 2018, 02:59:17 am »
The eye doctor tells you "Your distance vision is improving" followed by "It's a side effect of your cataracts getting larger".

A short discussion of "when they do the lens implant, you'll have fixed vision and use readers to see things up close, but no more need for distance-vision correction"

and "we will let you know when you need to talk to the eye surgeons about this"