Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 185752 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #800 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:39:43 pm »

I also bought (with the free second pair offer) a pair with a fixed distance at about 4 feet - for reading music. 

That's a failing of varifocals for me too.  Being a clarinet player, the tilt of the head and position of the throat just does not work with my varifocal prescription.

Exactly.  Turn the head to see the music and you change the embouchure.  Got to keep sax and head together.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #801 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »

I also bought (with the free second pair offer) a pair with a fixed distance at about 4 feet - for reading music. 

That's a failing of varifocals for me too.  Being a clarinet player, the tilt of the head and position of the throat just does not work with my varifocal prescription.
Exactly.  Turn the head to see the music and you change the embouchure.  Got to keep sax and head together.
It's even worse playing baritone. Got this great big lump of curly brass in front of you - right where the relevant bit of your varifocals is. Definitely single vision is the way to go for reading music.

There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #802 on: 27 February, 2019, 06:34:33 pm »
You remember Fabs appearing for the first time

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11510.msg2373393#msg2373393

My sisters' favourites - the combination of the Lady Penelope branding and the hundreds and thousands seemed irresistible
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #803 on: 27 February, 2019, 06:58:27 pm »
You decide the 'fast bike' no longer serves a purpose and you replace it with a 'tourer'.

« Reply #804 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:13:51 pm »
I've had varifocals since I got prescription glasses 18 months ago. I've had no problems with stairs since the first day. I have avoided reading music whilst playing an instrument since I was about 12, so that hasn't been a problem (also helped with the back ache). I take them off to drive in the dark, unless I need to see the sat nav on my phone, but that is the only time I do.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #805 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:17:23 pm »
Would you believe it? Earlier this month I got an extra pair of glasses so that I can read music which sits just beyond an arm's length away, in my case on my iPad, which does not display quite as large as A4.

I am sure I have posted previously about David's single vision 'keyboard' specs on yacf...

« Reply #806 on: 28 February, 2019, 08:14:27 am »
I now have varifocals for out and about and then separate varifocals for work.  The work ones are optimised with 2 vision settings.  the lower half is for keyboard and patient examination, the upper half is for looking at computer screens and patients faces.  They have completely removed my neck pain at the end of a days clinic.

fuzzy

« Reply #807 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:00:24 am »
I have one pair at the moment and the second is on hold until I decide to stick with them.
I may just ask for the second set to be reading glasses as, away from home, the most use my glasses get is when acting as apprentice grease monkey in the workshop. The angle for the close work lens might be a bit crippling when working under a bb shell trying to thread a fubar'd internal cable routing.

Phil W

« Reply #808 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:08:27 am »
You can no longer be fagged to drive to the Lake District, Wales (including Pembrokeshire) or some such to go climbing for the weekend. You just can't be fagged with how long it now takes due to traffic.

« Reply #809 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:18:12 am »
Surely all this talk of varifocals signals reaching the end of 'middle aged'.

[EDIT] If there's denial about entering 'middle aged' then I'm sure there's even more denial about leaving it...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #810 on: 28 February, 2019, 03:17:00 pm »
The father of your (step)grandchildren turns 40.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #811 on: 28 February, 2019, 05:42:55 pm »

Likewise my primary schoolmates' kids are turning 40 or parents are celebrating their Ruby Weddings.

Phil W

« Reply #812 on: 28 February, 2019, 06:14:14 pm »

That is a sign that he is turning middle aged.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #813 on: 28 February, 2019, 06:31:47 pm »
You have entire conversations about nothing but the family's medical conditions.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #814 on: 01 March, 2019, 09:27:27 am »
And they go a bit like Bridge bidding or a medical version of the Four Yorkshiremen. "I'll see your rotator cuff and raise you my diverticulosis".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #815 on: 01 March, 2019, 12:19:00 pm »
And they go a bit like Bridge bidding or a medical version of the Four Yorkshiremen. "I'll see your rotator cuff and raise you my diverticulosis".

Barakta usually wins.

"5 cases in the literature, one associated with my syndrome.  The radiologist was quite upset."

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #816 on: 01 March, 2019, 12:38:33 pm »
I gave up on varifocals. I used to work with multiple computer monitors at varying angles and distances.  The varifocals were a nuisance. I now use two pairs of glasses. Distance and computer distance (10cm beyond my finger tips). I usually read without glasses. (I have also given up work)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #817 on: 01 March, 2019, 12:40:55 pm »

Barakta usually wins.

"5 cases in the literature, one associated with my syndrome.  The radiologist was quite upset."

I'm a loser...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #818 on: 01 March, 2019, 12:51:58 pm »
A former schoolmate just Facebooked a photo of André Previn shaking his hand.

hey BOTH seemed so young then...

« Reply #819 on: 01 March, 2019, 04:48:05 pm »

For my parents generation it's the numbers of hips, stents and bypasses.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #820 on: 01 March, 2019, 06:36:11 pm »

For my parents generation it's the numbers of hips, stents and bypasses.

Thankfully, my parents (83, 88) have lost that one, with a grand total of 0 though maternal aunt has just had her 2nd knee replaced.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #821 on: 02 March, 2019, 08:15:45 am »
I gave up on varifocals. I used to work with multiple computer monitors at varying angles and distances.  The varifocals were a nuisance. I now use two pairs of glasses. Distance and computer distance (10cm beyond my finger tips). I usually read without glasses. (I have also given up work)

Same here.  Every time I turned my head wearing varifocals a wave traversed my desk-top. Made me quite ill.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #822 on: 02 March, 2019, 07:53:49 pm »
Varifocals are mainly fine for a mostly sessile, chairbound desk jockey like me.

Suspect they would annoy ifI were more mobile.

Anyway, I wear single vision distance specs for films and exhibitions.

« Reply #823 on: 02 March, 2019, 08:52:32 pm »

Anyway, I wear single vision distance specs for films and exhibitions.

That's interesting Helly. I prefer Varifocals for these situations; Bifocal for outdoors though.
I think the story is that Varifocals are a good  compromise, but single vision is better for specific applications.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #824 on: 03 March, 2019, 08:31:33 am »
When 20 kph gusting 60 seems like a good reason to stay home.