Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 185752 times)

Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #825 on: 04 March, 2019, 05:05:18 am »
When looking at the total on your restaurant bill, you notice that you've been given a "senior discount".

And you hadn't asked for it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #826 on: 04 March, 2019, 11:37:53 am »
When 20 kph gusting 60 seems like a good reason to stay home.

Such discretion might mean you'll meet another stage...
Served me well so far.

Risk-averse of Edgware.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #827 on: 04 March, 2019, 01:19:23 pm »
Having packed halfway round a 600 after x hours of 35 gusting 75, the idea of doing it for fun seems a little bit unattractive.

We currently have 40 gusting 100: I'm staying in my nice warm office and drinking tea.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #828 on: 04 March, 2019, 06:59:54 pm »
I went for a swim instead
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #829 on: 05 March, 2019, 01:29:46 pm »
I gave up on varifocals. I used to work with multiple computer monitors at varying angles and distances.  The varifocals were a nuisance. I now use two pairs of glasses. Distance and computer distance (10cm beyond my finger tips). I usually read without glasses. (I have also given up work)

Same here.  Every time I turned my head wearing varifocals a wave traversed my desk-top. Made me quite ill.

Serves you right. That's what you get for surfing the web.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #830 on: 05 March, 2019, 02:35:04 pm »
I gave up on varifocals. I used to work with multiple computer monitors at varying angles and distances.  The varifocals were a nuisance. I now use two pairs of glasses. Distance and computer distance (10cm beyond my finger tips). I usually read without glasses. (I have also given up work)

Same here.  Every time I turned my head wearing varifocals a wave traversed my desk-top. Made me quite ill.

Serves you right. That's what you get for surfing the web.

What's really depressing is that that was before TBL released his first browser to the general public.

« Reply #831 on: 05 March, 2019, 03:04:06 pm »
All you think about when in work is about retiring.
^This.

Relatively good day = retire end of May 2019 after 59th birthday.
Dealing-with-numpties day = retire early Jan 2019 at 30 years service.

So far this year, it's a walk-over for the numpties.  ::-)

I could retire now take my pension and with my lump sum pay of the mortgage.
Alternatively, take a smaller pension, larger lump sum, pay off mortgage and have a small
nest-egg for a rainy day (not enough for me). Will probably wait another 12 months before
it's a definate option.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #832 on: 05 March, 2019, 03:46:36 pm »
If you live another 20 - 30 years a smaller pension will definitely not feel like the better choice.

« Reply #833 on: 05 March, 2019, 08:18:28 pm »
Surely all this talk of varifocals signals reaching the end of 'middle aged'.

[EDIT] If there's denial about entering 'middle aged' then I'm sure there's even more denial about leaving it...

60 is the new 40!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #834 on: 06 March, 2019, 08:21:08 am »
Surely all this talk of varifocals signals reaching the end of 'middle aged'.

[EDIT] If there's denial about entering 'middle aged' then I'm sure there's even more denial about leaving it...

60 is the new 40!

Unfortunately, 70 is not the new 50.

« Reply #835 on: 06 March, 2019, 08:47:07 am »
As long as I can train against people 25years younger than me and reduce them to heaps of gasping jelly, I refuse to believe I'm passing middle age.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #836 on: 06 March, 2019, 09:04:17 am »
Certainly if you have a very good pension to look forward to then the larger lump sum could be attractive, but if you spread that lump sum over your remaining life expectancy does it more than cover the reduction in pension?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #837 on: 06 March, 2019, 10:40:18 am »
It depends a lot on how long you are going to live.

The sums are quite easy, the length of future life is the hard bit...
It is simpler than it looks.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #838 on: 06 March, 2019, 04:14:22 pm »
All pensions depend on if you are lucky enough to have saved enough. If you have a big enough fund you can choose a low yield and watch the money grow above inflation.

In my case my pension is invested in  investment trusts, open ended funds and a few shares.  This will provide an income of 4%. If I was richer I would have chosen a lower yield. Funds that yield 2% grow more and in time produce more income than the 4% funds that grow more slowly.

As for taking a lump sum. I never will. I will stay invested and take the cash free element with each withdrawal.

I am retired at 56.  [I look after my octogenarian mother]
I am currently living on less that 10,000 income generated by my ISA (tax free)
At 60 I will change my Pension funds from growth to income funds and take uncrystallised lump sums
At this point my retirement income will be higher than my modest finishing pay after tax.
At state retirement age the government will probably give me some more money.

If I stayed at work and carried on paying into my pension to state pension age I would probably have become a millionaire. That was a really impressive number when I left school but was not a big enough incentive now.

Just in case anyone thinks I am totally on top of my finances. In the last 12 months my wealth has dropped by £100,000. Eeek!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #839 on: 06 March, 2019, 09:48:22 pm »
All pensions depend on if you are lucky enough to have saved enough. If you have a big enough fund you can choose a low yield and watch the money grow above inflation.

In my case my pension is invested in  investment trusts, open ended funds and a few shares.  This will provide an income of 4%. If I was richer I would have chosen a lower yield. Funds that yield 2% grow more and in time produce more income than the 4% funds that grow more slowly.

As for taking a lump sum. I never will. I will stay invested and take the cash free element with each withdrawal.

I am retired at 56.  [I look after my octogenarian mother]
I am currently living on less that 10,000 income generated by my ISA (tax free)
At 60 I will change my Pension funds from growth to income funds and take uncrystallised lump sums
At this point my retirement income will be higher than my modest finishing pay after tax.
At state retirement age the government will probably give me some more money.

If I stayed at work and carried on paying into my pension to state pension age I would probably have become a millionaire. That was a really impressive number when I left school but was not a big enough incentive now.

Just in case anyone thinks I am totally on top of my finances. In the last 12 months my wealth has dropped by £100,000. Eeek!

I've put on bold the bits about not taking the 25% tax free cash, and taking uncrystallised lump sums.

If the income you need each year is less than the personal allowance, then I can see the logic in doing it that way.  If not, then you end up paying more tax.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #840 on: 07 March, 2019, 12:04:05 pm »
Not quite tax free.

I will 'earn' £28k, £10k from ISA, £18K from pension.
£4,500 is tax free lump sum and leaving 13,500 of taxable income.
Next year the personal allowance is £12,500 so I need to pay 20% of 1000.
Or £200 tax.

The 100k drop in wealth reduces my income to £24k so no tax will be payable then.

The real sign of middle age. You start doing pension calculations.

ian

« Reply #841 on: 07 March, 2019, 12:27:15 pm »
Think on the good side, anyone who isn't middle-aged by now won't have to worry about pension calculations.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #842 on: 07 March, 2019, 03:16:49 pm »
Yes, for several reasons...
It is simpler than it looks.

fuzzy

« Reply #843 on: 13 March, 2019, 12:09:58 pm »
My reason for taking the maximum lump sum was weekly orders. Spending 26 and a bit years reading weekly orders and seeing reports of 'Death of Police Pensioner' where more than was coincidental, were getting less than 10 years as a pensioner..........

Full rotating shift work, unhealth working conditions and high levels of stress do not generally make for a long and happy retirement.

Learning of someone who had died after 20 or 30 years of retirement generally got a standing ovation in my office.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #844 on: 02 April, 2019, 11:06:33 pm »
OS 1 inch (1:63 360) maps were 6/6 back in the day...

I think the first 1:50 000 sheets were 80p.

« Reply #845 on: 03 April, 2019, 08:15:19 am »
If you're talking in terms of £x00,000 then you must be very well off.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #846 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:58:27 am »
It is really, really, really irritating. Almost as irritating as the new car not having a built in CD player!!!!
When a technology that was new and shiny when you were a teenager is now obsolete.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #847 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:03:05 pm »
It is really, really, really irritating. Almost as irritating as the new car not having a built in CD player!!!!
When a technology that was new and shiny when you were a teenager is now obsolete.

Oh aye. When I was a nipper stereophonic record players were new. Microgroove records too. Not to mention retractable ballpoints. And my dad was highly tickled the first time his packet of Players had a cellophane wrapper with a wee ribbon to pull.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #848 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:14:55 pm »

I dunno, as someone who grew up with Moore's Law, I consider that sort of obsolescence to be normal and ordinary and just part of the way the world works.

Middle age is when you stop caring about the new stuff...

essexian

« Reply #849 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:35:21 pm »

I dunno, as someone who grew up with Moore's Law, I consider that sort of obsolescence to be normal and ordinary and just part of the way the world works.

Middle age is when you stop caring about the new stuff...

Of course, Kim is right. I don't care about new stuff. I simply want to play the 800 odd CD's (and trust me, some of them are very odd) I own in the car.  And while I am at it.... I have a number of 78's I would like to play as well.....