Author Topic: Assorted Tips for Randonneurs  (Read 14136 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Assorted Tips for Randonneurs
« on: 11 April, 2011, 09:10:52 pm »
Put reflective tape on your tools and pump so you can find them in the dark with your head torch...

Re: Assorted Tips for Randonneurs
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2011, 09:32:08 pm »
I take a 35mm film canister with hand-cleaner in it and a wad of Kleenices.  I've never needed them on an audax but they've come in handy on the commute a couple of times. 

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:12:01 pm »
Don't leave home without a few mini cable ties

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:22:27 pm »
Don't leave home without a pocket pack of tissues. (Now very cheap from Pound Shops but extortionate from Boots at stations.)

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:24:32 pm »
Don't leave home without a pocket pack of tissues. (Now very cheap from Pound Shops but extortionate from Boots at stations.)

You mean toilet paper.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:27:39 pm »
take a pork pie as emergency rations on every Audax, except a Dave Hudson one.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:31:06 pm »

You mean toilet paper.

I find folded tissues easier to use and less bulky to pack than a reel with much deadspace in its core. They are also kinder to my feminine face if I'm tearful or snotty. I do use them as arsewipe as well.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:35:21 pm »
Fresh socks after 200 km make my feet feel sooooo much better. Spare socks can also come in handy for other purposes.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »
Baby wipes are better. You can:

1. Wipe things.
2. Clean hands.
3. Blow your nose.
4. Clean your bike.
5. Wipe your saddle.
6. Polish your pump (NAE)
7. Wipe doorhandles (OCD)
8. Freshen your face.
9. Freshen someone else's face
10. Oh. And change babies.

Edit: NB - may require more than one Baby Wipe.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:39:50 pm »
On long rides, with overnights, to wake up in time use the alarm on your phone in vibrate mode and tuck it in your sock

and deploy ear plugs.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:01:54 pm »

1. Wipe things.
2. Clean hands.
3. Blow your nose.
4. Clean your bike.
5. Wipe your saddle.
8. Freshen your face.

Didn't we do this about a week ago in another thread ;D
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:04:31 pm »

1. Wipe things.
2. Clean hands.
3. Blow your nose.
4. Clean your bike.
5. Wipe your saddle.
8. Freshen your face.

Didn't we do this about a week ago in another thread ;D

Quite possibly! YACF has got quite big, and those with limited time budgets miss stuff.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:06:02 pm »
If you are fortunate enough not to be forced to do so, test your pump from time to time anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:09:09 pm »
If you are fortunate enough not to be forced to do so, test your pump from time to time anyway.

And grease the washer.

Saliva makes an adequate emergency lubricant...

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:09:42 pm »

+1 and also check your spare tubes.  I've a couple of times not had cause to use them for a while and found them perished

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:11:20 pm »
Saliva makes an adequate emergency lubricant...

<starts timer...>

AndyH

« Reply #16 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:23:09 pm »
^^ ;D^^ More than adequate IME

Put reflective tape on your tools and pump so you can find them in the dark with your head torch...

Helly, I eat 5-6 miles before a control, great advice of yours which really works. But wrap reflective tape around my carbon effect pump? Next you'l be extolling the virtues of Carradice.  ;)

..... test your pump from time to time anyway.

Is this where the saliva comes in ?

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:45:51 pm »

+1 and also check your spare tubes.  I've a couple of times not had cause to use them for a while and found them perished

you must ride very different events to me; mine never get the chance  ;)

one very important tip which I practised religously until I got a gps is;

Carry a basic road map (a page ripped out of a last year's Poundland AA one will do) if riding in an unfamiliar region;

L@T $ Newtown means nothing if you are nowhere near either...

« Reply #18 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:51:59 pm »
Google street view. A way of using new technology for checking the route for bus shelters and churches with porches before the ride. :thumbsup:
You could probably even mark them on a sat-nav too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:52:27 pm »

BTDT.
Check inner tubes under water every year...

« Reply #20 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:54:02 pm »
A colour chart for ageing discarded banana skins, to give you an idea how far behind the main bunch you are.

This thread isn't entirely serious, is it? ;D

« Reply #21 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:55:14 pm »
Google street view. A way of using new technology for checking the route for bus shelters and churches with porches before the ride. :thumbsup:

Google street view. A way of using technology for checking the info questions on a perm card before you set off from the comfort of you own home, thereby saving literally seconds during a ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:56:57 pm »

you must ride very different events to me; mine never get the chance  ;)

I went 15 months between visitations at the time I was riding prodigious distances, then had two within an estimated 0.1s when I struck a brick at 26mph. Only had one inner tube as I was commuting.

« Reply #23 on: 12 April, 2011, 12:36:57 am »
In high temperatures make sure that you cool down in the last kilometre approaching a control. If you don't you may well collapse. The metabolic rate that is sustainable with 30 kph of cooling air is not sustainable if you suddenly stop.
In a similar vein, the best treatment for the onset of heatstroke is to go into a supermarket and hang around the freezers with bags of frozen vegetables balanced on your forearms.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 12 April, 2011, 02:00:14 am »
In high temperatures make sure that you cool down in the last kilometre approaching a control. If you don't you may well collapse. The metabolic rate that is sustainable with 30 kph of cooling air is not sustainable if you suddenly stop.
In a similar vein, the best treatment for the onset of heatstroke is to go into a supermarket and hang around the freezers with bags of frozen vegetables balanced on your forearms.

If you are wearing a h*lm*t on the bike, take it off as soon as you stop. Fainting in a control queue is not clever.
Sponge down with a damp flannel to cool down. (You did bring a flannel, didn't you?)