Author Topic: Owner Review of the Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Stove  (Read 2395 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Hi

As part of my renewing of my gear given my forthcoming Dreaming Tour I purchased a Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri stove system.

I have now had a bit of change to play with the kit and I am pretty happy with the way it performed. 

My average fuel usage was 68 ml per day and I found I could easily boil 300 ml on 15 ml and 600 ml on 20 ml.  All up pretty happy with the beast.  What really grabbed me about the kit besides it lightweight and efficiency (in terms of alcohol stoves) is the peacefulness of cooking with it. It just fits with my new philosophy of bushwalking and cycle touring - slowing down and enjoying the ride so to speak :)

I have written up a review which is available here for those interested.  I am also interested in others experiences with this stove and/or similar.

Andrew

Aushiker

Re: Owner Review of the Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri Caldera Cone Stove
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2011, 12:34:00 am »

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2011, 12:54:02 am »
Interesting review Andrew, thanks.  My thoughts are that it is an expensive item but, if it does what you need, is probably worth the outlay.
I don't do Lightweight and the Trangia is fine for me with a tiny gas stove and cylinder as a quick hot water option. The only real thing I don't like is the fact that you are restricted to a particular sized pot with the cone design. I suppose for the lightweight outback stuff that is okay but it would probably worry me a little. I assume that, in the outback and the West, carrying clean water is a big thing?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Aushiker

« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2011, 08:34:05 am »
Interesting review Andrew, thanks.  My thoughts are that it is an expensive item but, if it does what you need, is probably worth the outlay.

For the pricing is inline with say a Trangia so not too bad, but I do find that there is an inverse relationship between weight and price :)

The only real thing I don't like is the fact that you are restricted to a particular sized pot with the cone design. I suppose for the lightweight outback stuff that is okay but it would probably worry me a little.

I guess I am not to bothered about that as I expect my pot to last a fair while and again it is like a TRangia in that respect.  Also a change in pot just requires a new cone if it will not work with existing one.

I assume that, in the outback and the West, carrying clean water is a big thing?

In the outback yes but not so much in the south-west here. However, even "locally" I can be riding or walking for a week or more between reliable food resupply points or for ease just going with sufficient from day one for the whole ride (e.g., I did this for my aborted Munda Biddi ride in July) and on the forthcoming Dreaming Tour I am looking at two weeks at times plus the possibility of having to carry enough water for three + days days. I will have carrying capacity for around 30 litres but hopefully will have to carry no more than around 20 litres at anyone time.  All this means is that where possible reducing bulk/weight is a good move.

Andrew