Author Topic: Replacing the seam seal tape on my tent?  (Read 6841 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Replacing the seam seal tape on my tent?
« on: 25 May, 2015, 08:50:19 pm »
I have a North Face Tadpole tent. It is pretty good, but a few years old now.
Much of the seam seal tape on the fly is now peeling off and disintegrating. In heavy rain some water is dripping in.

A few places recommend Mcnett Tenacious Tape, but that is very expensive - £5 for 50cm.
To cover all of the seams would need about 15m.
Pennine Outdoor have seam seal tape, in 2 versions: for "laminated fabrics" or for "PU coated fabrics". Not sure if either of these would work on my tent? Both £1 per metre. http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/haberdashery/seam-sealants-and-proofers
Or there's tubes of sealant glue, eg Seam Grip. How much of this would I need to do all of the seams.

Then how long will it take to stick all of this on? Will it be a lasting repair? Is it worth the cost and effort?

Or should I just buy a new tent. I really need a waterproof tent for a trip this weekend. I'm tempted by the new tents from Alpkit...

Re: Replacing the seam seal tape on my tent?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:37:26 pm »
You can reseal the seams yourself - mix some clear plumber's silicone about 1:3 with white spirit, pitch your tent, brush it into the seams, and leave to dry.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2015, 11:51:34 am »
You can reseal the seams yourself - mix some clear plumber's silicone about 1:3 with white spirit, pitch your tent, brush it into the seams, and leave to dry.

Does this work on panels also? I have to waterproof my aging Mountain Hardware Trango 2 every time I want to use it!
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:43:44 am »
Reputedly works better on panels than on seams.

the drawback is that you will need a large space to hang your tent or the sealant will glue bits together. Substantial airing time as well for the vinegar stink to waft away.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:14:29 pm »
You can 'glue' repair patches on with neat silicon, according to Tarptent.com

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2015, 04:34:33 pm »
Reputedly works better on panels than on seams.

the drawback is that you will need a large space to hang your tent or the sealant will glue bits together. Substantial airing time as well for the vinegar stink to waft away.

Fab!! I might well try this then, as that waterproofer which dries to a way and fall off after 5 minutes appears rubbish!
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2016, 03:09:46 pm »
Hi, how did you get on with repairing seam sealing tape on fly sheets?

I have a PU flysheet I think most would have this - its a Wild Country tent I bought 6 years ago and has the seam sealing tape.
It came off in one small area and is failing in other areas too

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:30:43 pm »
Not actually got around to it yet. I have now bought a few tubes of plumbers silicone, just need some time and some good weather to have a go at spreading it on.

I have used the tent a few times recently, fortunately it didn't rain much (despite camping in the wettest town in Scotland).

« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:58:19 pm »
Okay, if you (and anyone else) could post how well it worked would be great. I think my tent will be okay for some summer camping

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2016, 08:57:06 pm »
I bought some seam tape from "WBM Seam tapes" (you can find them on Amazon) to repair some chest waders where the tape had all fallen off. I've not used them yet, but the tape seems to be stuck well.

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2016, 04:09:24 pm »

Thanks Redjeep I will check that out

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk