Author Topic: Tent for Cycle Camping?  (Read 19328 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Tent for Cycle Camping?
« Reply #50 on: 11 April, 2016, 05:11:21 pm »
Splendid - looks a great tent. Did you eat the nut cutlets off plastic plates sitting in the tent pretending it was raining outside but smug in the knowledge that you weren't going to get wet?

I've just had an erection in the back garden,but lacked your foresight to take pictures.....of the tent.

Mcshroom thought I'd want to spend the night on the kitchen floor to play in the new tent, but with a  memory foam mattress and 400 thread count egyptian cotton sheets upstairs ... that's a no-brainer.
Too right!
I'd have been severely tempted to sleep in the tent in the kitchen just for the slight surreality of it; like hiding under the table making believe it's a boat, castle or something, when you're a toddler. Or even to have taken the 400 thread count egyptian cotton sheets (and memory foam mattress, if only it would fit) into the domestically erectible space capsule, to enhance both the luxury and the surreality. And I'd have made sure to take a good book in there, which I'd have read by the light of a head torch or a candle, and if I'd needed anything in the night (like a sandwich or a cup of tea) then I'd have made sure to get it all by the light of the head torch or candle and eaten it in the tent (though I do try not to eat in a tent, cos crumbs, just like shoes off in the porchy bit, cos mud).

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #51 on: 29 April, 2016, 08:38:26 pm »
I'm after a new tent also and the Vango range is looking good.

Dithering between a Mirage 200, Halo 200 or Nemesis 200 for solo use.The Mirage is the smallest and lightest but sitting up will be a problem.

It's a shame my old tent is no longer in production - an Ultimate Tramp. I had this for close on 30 years before UV finally killed it off :(.  The Mirage is closest in size to this I think.

I had a Eurohike 3 man tent for car camping which I thought would be rubbish. It was actually very good. After 20 years of faithful service I let my daughter borrow it for a DoE Exped - she wrecked it by packing it away wet (and not telling me until I got it out a couple of months later - the smell of mildrew was 'orrible).

« Reply #52 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:15:54 pm »
Another Coleman user here - mine's an Epsilon 2. As above, a 2-man tent to have space for kit.

It fits with a sleeping bag and an inflatable mat into one rear pannier.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #53 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:29:34 pm »
The Alpkit Ordos 2 looks interesting. Very lightweight (1.3kg) for a proper 2 person tent. I would use it on my own, so plenty of space for stuff. Apparently the latest version has improved waterproofing, and less mesh etc.
Anyone tried one?
https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-2

« Reply #54 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:09:20 am »
The Alpkit Ordos 2 looks interesting. Very lightweight (1.3kg) for a proper 2 person tent. I would use it on my own, so plenty of space for stuff. Apparently the latest version has improved waterproofing, and less mesh etc.
Anyone tried one?
https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-2

Looks good, but inner pitch first  :(

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #55 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:23:50 pm »
I've just got a Vango Soul 200 (or something) for £30 from Millets (after discounts).

Looks OK for something from the bargain basement end of camping. Certainly a lot lighter than last time I went camping (do you remember those orange Vangos?).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 04 May, 2016, 06:30:36 pm »
Can't argue at that price.  Usual rule of subtracting 1 from the number of persons applies, pitching inner first is annoying when it's wet and it's got that porch design that drips water on your head when you open the outer door, but it's at least a couple of steps up from the festival rubbish.   :thumbsup:

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #57 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:33:12 pm »
I'm not too bothered about inner pitch first or not.
I have camped in a variety of weather around Scotland, sometimes it is a bit wet. But if you wait a while, it will probably stop raining (mostly), before you put up the tent.
Or even if it is raining, with practice you can get the tent up in a couple of minutes, so it won't get too wet. Or set up the inner, while using the fly as a loose cover.

Yes, sometimes it is nice to have outer first pitching. But I wouldn't rule out a tent just because its inner first.

« Reply #58 on: 19 June, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »
I have the Vango banshee 200 and think it brilliant

« Reply #59 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:57:00 am »
Hello,

New to the forum so this is my first post.

I use a Helium 100 as a one-man tent and like it very much but there are lots of very good one-person tents in this class at a variety of prices on the market.

More interesting perhaps, I use a Wild Country Duolite Tourer as a two person tent which is semi-geodesic so very stable, light but very sound and has an extraordinarily large porch which is ideal for cycle touring. A great two-person tent. I have hauled my bike inside the porch when I felt I was being cased by some dodgy looking lads one night. The interesting bit is that Terra Nova/Wild Country sell the flysheet for the standard Duolite tent which fits over the poles of the Tourer with an ordinary sizes porch thus giving you two options and cutting the weight a bit and the pack size a fair bit. The Tourer version does have a largish pack size if using it for one but less so if carrying it between two. This is a good tent in my view. You might need to check that they still sell the smaller length flysheet separately.

John

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #60 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:44:24 am »
did anyone ever end up buying a Hex mini peak 2 in the end. Been looking at the Coleman Aravis 2, 2.4kg vs Decathlon ultra light hiker 2 ,1.9kg,  then  the Hex Peak V4a, ( but apparantly even the latest incarnation is a bit tight for 6'2" according to Bob at BPL) So started looking at the hex mini peak 2,  about 1.7kg with pole, one person nest, or, prob 3 person bivvy,  Acres of space even with the nest up,  compared to tunnel type tents.  So did anyone get one /  have one.?

« Reply #61 on: 18 October, 2017, 08:06:02 pm »
did anyone ever end up buying a Hex mini peak 2 in the end. Been looking at the Coleman Aravis 2, 2.4kg vs Decathlon ultra light hiker 2 ,1.9kg,  then  the Hex Peak V4a, ( but apparantly even the latest incarnation is a bit tight for 6'2" according to Bob at BPL) So started looking at the hex mini peak 2,  about 1.7kg with pole, one person nest, or, prob 3 person bivvy,  Acres of space even with the nest up,  compared to tunnel type tents.  So did anyone get one /  have one.?

I did. Except I didn't as I bought a Trail Peak instead on the grounds that 2 X 6'4'' sons will fit in it. And they do.  But it breaks one of my rules as it's inner pitch first, which I don't like. I may buy the single inner backpackinglight.co.uk do for the peak tents, when there's enough in the piggybank, as that will allow fly first pitching. Given that need dictated a tent big enough for strapping lads, it should have been no surprise that it's absolutely huge!  On it's first outing three lads slept in it, but I'm not quite sure in what configuration of bodies and sleeping bags. For one it looks like overkill and although light for its size at 2,6-ish kg its a shade on the hefty side.  No photo since photobucket asked me to mortgage my Granny to pay for 3rd party hosting, so here's a link to the sellers:

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF123.html
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #62 on: 07 November, 2017, 07:55:08 am »

I have the hex peak v4a. I like it. Condensation is a bit of a sod if you have to pitch it low due to wind, but it has withstood some substantial storms when I've been camping. How good it is for a tall person tho is largely based on how thick you sleep mat is, and how high you're pitching it. I'm 1.7m so can't really comment for someone who's *does maths* 180mm taller than me...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #63 on: 07 November, 2017, 11:47:49 am »
I have the Eureka Spitfire Solo 1. Cheap as chips and the quality is ok in that price range. No condensation issues but you need to wrap up warm in cold weather. At that price I would have been happy if it lasted a year. I am on year 3.

You can sit u and get changed easily. My daughter has the Banshee 200 which is much lower.

« Reply #64 on: 07 November, 2017, 01:15:33 pm »
No condensation issues
I think what you mean is "No condensation issues yet"