Author Topic: Lightweight "off the bike" shoes  (Read 9347 times)

Re: Lightweight "off the bike" shoes
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:26:53 pm »
If you fancy a trainer, New balance m10?

I've got a pair in black that fit into my pannier side pocket. Weigh very little and fold flat.

Just avoid the weird coloured ones!

A trainer type shoe might fit the bill as my 3 year old The North Face pair, which I wear most days, are starting to fall apart so in need of replacement.  When I Google New Balance M10 THIS is what I find; are these the shoes you mean?

Theyre the ones, The minimus trainers, mine are the m10 black type. I think they just change the numbers after minimus for the slight cosmetic changes

Take a serious look at the keen newports, I'm always in mine on and off the bike.

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:41:24 pm »
Thanks, I might get a pair of M10s as well.

« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:29:04 pm »
Crocs again! (and not only because of that picture to the left)

All I ever use when not in my touring shoes (on tour, that is).

Lightweight, indestructible, good in any dodgy showers you may go into, fast-drying, cheap, available in whatever colo(u)r you deem acceptable, unfashionable, bendable/stuffable/easily strapped onto wherever - one of the few 'modern' items I like (although I didn't 'discover' them until they were no longer popular). Could there be any alternative?

I've used mine for plenty of hiking on rocky and hilly terrain, through recently cutover woodland (lots of sticks! careful!), in the shops, to the diners, down the sidewal - er, pavements, in the saloon, in Lake Superior, on the ice, etc. Even biking!

Was looking at a photo of a 1990 tour the other day, and shocked by the ugly new balance sneakers I was carrying at the time.
/robert

« Reply #28 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:32:10 pm »
Jingas? You can get 'em for much cheaper than the headline price if you're not too fussy about colour (I've some Arabian Nights ones). They're a bit flimsy, but great for getting out of your cycling shoes.
Where can you get them cheap? I've looked at these before, but not found many for less than £40 (except obscure sizes).

God, I can't remember - I bought mine in 2010. They were certainly a lot less than forty quid!

« Reply #29 on: 03 February, 2016, 06:58:30 pm »
My default shoe to go in panniers is a Vibrobarefoot. Not really shoes, but looks smarter than a trainer / crocs / flip flops for when not in cycling gear. Bought in a sale, not for £125 I might add! Not these exact ones as they're a few years old, but this sort of thing:

I have them anyway, so they aren't special for cycling. For packing the lack of padding on the bottom makes them lighter, smaller and bendier than the average shoe. They're not really as good in the wet as crocs / flip flops / boots, but repel the dew and don't really get soggy.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 09 February, 2016, 10:53:44 am »

« Reply #31 on: 20 February, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #32 on: 21 February, 2016, 07:24:22 am »
 ;D

I can't see them going down well in the flesh pots of Halifax!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 21 February, 2016, 06:32:19 pm »
In that case, go the whole lard sandwich with footwraps! http://www.rferl.org/content/russian-defense-minister-bans-footwraps/24823671.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #34 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:58:52 am »
For occasional use the Decathalon option at c 200g / shoe is hard to beat http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ekiden-one-man-grey-id_8351755.html

« Reply #35 on: 23 March, 2016, 11:33:50 am »
No one has mentioned my go-to option, so I'll pitch in with my £8-worth.
Go to Sport direct and buy a pair of their fake Converse All Star low tops. My current pair are branded Dunlop, the previous pair where Firetrap. They were identical. Cheap, reasonably light, essentially disposable, available in lots of colours, mine are black and white.
You aren't going to look odd in jeans, trousers or shorts and the fold completely flat, are tolerant to a lot of abuse and so cheap you can just drop them in the charity bin at the end of the tour.