Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 9th  (Read 9680 times)

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
Re: Jan 9th
« Reply #25 on: 09 January, 2015, 02:47:59 pm »
Rather interesting to watch Steve's accumulated routing since day 1. Looks like he's drawing some kind of strange creature with three legs and two arms. With the arms raised in victory celebration.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 09 January, 2015, 02:56:38 pm »
Isn't that third leg the much-vaunted CDC?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #27 on: 09 January, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »
Feasting in Greasey Joes now I think!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »
In these strong winds could Steve be  driven somewhere up wind thrn ride with wind on his back?

Not sure what the rules are.

Good luck Steve  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:32:36 pm »
It is allowable under the rules but would require somebody to drive him around, which takes some time in itself. I get the impression that Steve prefers a 'purist approach'.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #30 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:52:00 pm »
I have wondered about Steve coming east to the coast "today"  and being driven "home" by "me" to do the same again tomorrow. But when you think it thru - it is time consuming getting him home again -- and unless he can eat/sleep while travelling -- then there is a time wasting element in it.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #31 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:35:17 pm »
Steve seems to be making full benefit of the 20-25 mph tailwind @ moment---tracker avg speeds 19mph ish---which would  translate to 20-22mph real ground speed ? (assuming tracker straight line is about 10-15% underestimate ---???)

Tomorrow looks difficult though as unlike today when wind speed increased during day wind seems strong all day  ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:46:38 pm »
I have wondered about Steve coming east to the coast "today"  and being driven "home" by "me" to do the same again tomorrow. But when you think it thru - it is time consuming getting him home again -- and unless he can eat/sleep while travelling -- then there is a time wasting element in it.

We need a YACF helicopter.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:50:53 pm »
Really strange temperature forecasts here (cambs) with temps rising in the evening!

well it`s this very strong wind pulling mild air up from south---nearest metoffice station @ Shobdon, Herefordshire just recorded 14.3 c but with wind gusts to 95 kph !!!  Coming your way soon  :o
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:10:55 pm »
Having just left the office I was amazed how mild it is. And how windy!

Should Steve invest in a spinnaker?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #35 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:15:48 pm »
Any news on how TG's equipment- lights, tyres, chains etc are holding out ..
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:17:32 pm »
I'll let you know on Sunday. Some folk have been keeping an eye on things for him.

« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:21:31 pm »
I'll let you know on Sunday. Some folk have been keeping an eye on things for him.

:thumbsup:

Can we have some more action shots too please  ;D
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #38 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:47:37 pm »
Looks to me as if is home now.

LWB and HK are the first hosts this weekend - so with luck we will be able to get an update on what TG has had to say -- but even then maybe - early to bed and early to get up will still be the order of the day.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #39 on: 09 January, 2015, 09:02:23 pm »
181.9 today I think and 1665 total now

« Reply #40 on: 09 January, 2015, 09:23:47 pm »
Really strange temperature forecasts here (cambs) with temps rising in the evening!

and again; if you think that`s strange take a look at Cairngorm ski station reports today---from -5c @ 10am this morning with 110kph / gust 150  winds the weather has now changed to +9c and 110 / 150 kph winds !!!  ::-) Leaving aside the early afternoon episodes of off scale 200kph + wind gusts.......it`s an absolutely remarkable change in temperatures as the deep low moves across

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #41 on: 09 January, 2015, 09:56:43 pm »
Some seriously good choosing go on with the routes.
https://www.strava.com/activities/238878849/analysis

19 km/h average outbound to earn a 24.6 km/h return leg. HR was actually higher on the return too (92 vs 88). impressive to have kept it so low battling outward into the wind.

« Reply #42 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:03:35 pm »
Just out of interest did Steve have to start on jan 1st or would any consecutive 365 days have counted?

If so you would think starting in october and getting the winter out of the way would have helped.

« Reply #43 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:07:51 pm »
Just out of interest did Steve have to start on jan 1st or would any consecutive 365 days have counted?

If so you would think starting in october and getting the winter out of the way would have helped.

He didn't have to, but Tommy Godwin did, and I think he wants to ride the attempt on the same terms.

« Reply #44 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:18:13 pm »
Did he have to declare an actual start day or just begin when he chose?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #45 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:21:14 pm »

Steve discussed this before he started.  Part of his reasoning (which may still be on his website) was that by starting on Jan 1st he'd split the winter, so if there was a particularly bad winter he'd only have to ride through half of it.  Another point he made was that the time spring came around would be about the time that he got fit and could make use of the extra light.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #46 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:21:51 pm »
Yes, the riders have to declare their start dates beforehand.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #47 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:25:25 pm »

Steve discussed this before he started.  Part of his reasoning (which may still be on his website) was that by starting on Jan 1st he'd split the winter, so if there was a particularly bad winter he'd only have to ride through half of it.  Another point he made was that the time spring came around would be about the time that he got fit and could make use of the extra light.

This refers to the fitness factor: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=72564.msg1746874#msg1746874

I was sure I also saw something somewhere else from Steve that referred the fact that doing it this way means that winter is broken up into two installments, rather than going through in one go, but I can't find it.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #48 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:53:00 pm »
Can we have some hint as to how he's feeling? Up? Down? Tired? Elated? Bored?

(He'll be hungry, obvs. Always is, even when not breaking world records.)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #49 on: 09 January, 2015, 11:04:28 pm »
I think that those at his place are too busy looking after him to be posting any extra detail - but knocking out a big mileage today - suggests to me thta he is fine. LWB and HK host him this weekend - so maybe we will get extra input from one of them,