Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 9th  (Read 9578 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Jan 9th
« Reply #50 on: 09 January, 2015, 11:19:49 pm »
I reckon "serene" will probably sum up Steve's attitude at the moment. On the basis that, of all of us, he knows what it's like to ride enormous distances in one year (what was his points record? 40000km in audax rides, plus other rides here and there). He already knows what it feels like to ride 500 miles or more a week for months on end. With that experience, he can have a pretty good guess as to what it's like to double, and then treble, that. He's used to long distances, he's used to riding on his own, he rides in all weathers and just takes it in his stride.

I was with him for at least part of the coldest ride he's ever done (10th Jan 2009) and the windiest conditions he has known - he said they were, anyway: May 2008. We were trying to cross Barmouth Bridge and it was totally unrideable, and that wind was an easterly. We climbed Cader Idris* the same weekend and at times, near the summit, we had to crouch down to avoid being blown over. He also slipstreamed Mrs. Wow and myself down this hill into a monster headwind. Despite the chevron, we could barely hold 15mph into the wind, whilst pedalling.

Mrs. Wow's hair gives a good idea of the wind direction and strength - and no, it wasn't down to Steve! Also, the way she is having to brace herself to hold the tandem upright gives a clue as to what we were up against.

I would imagine he's feeling pretty satisfied with the first 2.5% of his challenge. Only another 97.5% to go!  :thumbsup:

*without bikes
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #51 on: 10 January, 2015, 01:38:19 am »
Some feedback from Steve on Strava today

Alistair McLean Been tracking you and the weather today, 99.9% of people would have thrown in the towel today. Awesome.
david hann You are legend!!! You
Jim Solan Go Steve. you're an inspiration!

Steven Abraham A little bit of British weather isn't going to stop me. Thanks for the comments all. Time to eat then sleep.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #52 on: 10 January, 2015, 02:17:41 am »
 :thumbsup:
You're only as successful as your last 1200...