Author Topic: The Hill Climb thread  (Read 9158 times)

Re: The Hill Climb thread
« Reply #25 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:05:53 pm »
Ah, it becomes clearer!  I could have done that ok, possibly even sitting down, with a 36 cog - but not with a 36 chainwheel.  Good going!

S2L

« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2020, 01:26:53 pm »
Not a plan for 2020 yet, but how do you qualify for the National HC championship? It all seems rather vague.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #27 on: 20 February, 2020, 01:56:38 pm »
Entry is based on placings in CTT hillclimbs.  Quite how high you need to place will depend on the strength of the rest of the field.  Given that the event has been doing well over the past few years and this year is near London, entry is bound to be competitive.

(Don't put it off until next year though: if the rumours are true, it will be even more competitive in 2021.)

S2L

« Reply #28 on: 20 February, 2020, 02:24:52 pm »
(Don't put it off until next year though: if the rumours are true, it will be even more competitive in 2021.)

... but by 2021 I might have more results to show... Streatley is not my kind of climb... too short, favours those who can churn out 500 Watts (or more, at the competitive end of the field) for a couple of minutes, I can't... if I look at where I stand in the pecking order on Strava segments, I tend to do better on longer climbs.

« Reply #29 on: 20 February, 2020, 03:23:51 pm »
Entry is based on placings in CTT hillclimbs.  Quite how high you need to place will depend on the strength of the rest of the field.  Given that the event has been doing well over the past few years and this year is near London, entry is bound to be competitive.

Usually it’s the current season’s results ( in CTT hillclimb events) that most influence the field selectors, together with who has beaten who generally. That’s why the hill climb aficionados spend weekends before the entries to the National close zig-zagging their way to 2 or more events every weekend across the country.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #30 on: 20 February, 2020, 03:25:25 pm »
You'll be waiting a while if you want a long one.  This year was long, and they tend to throw in one of those roughly every five years.

S2L

« Reply #31 on: 20 February, 2020, 04:02:13 pm »
You'll be waiting a while if you want a long one.  This year was long, and they tend to throw in one of those roughly every five years.

Doesn't have to be as long as Haytor... let's say that 80-90 meters of ascent are just too short for me.  120-150 more my cup of tea, where pacing matters more than raw power.

S2L

« Reply #32 on: 20 February, 2020, 04:04:50 pm »

Usually it’s the current season’s results ( in CTT hillclimb events) that most influence the field selectors, together with who has beaten who generally. That’s why the hill climb aficionados spend weekends before the entries to the National close zig-zagging their way to 2 or more events every weekend across the country.

Good to know... I'll do a couple this year and see if I get the bug... if I do, then I'll take it more seriously in 2021. To be fair, the older I get, the better the chances of doing well in the age group.  ;D In 12 years time, all being well, I might even be able to compete for an age group medal, looking at the times

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 20 February, 2020, 05:06:03 pm »

Doesn't have to be as long as Haytor... let's say that 80-90 meters of ascent are just too short for me.  120-150 more my cup of tea, where pacing matters more than raw power.

what matters is that you give it your best effort. as for placing 53rd vs 46th - no one really cares; so the length of the climb is mostly irrelevant ;)

S2L

« Reply #34 on: 20 February, 2020, 05:34:47 pm »

what matters is that you give it your best effort. as for placing 53rd vs 46th - no one really cares; so the length of the climb is mostly irrelevant ;)

That's very De Coubertin, but actually I do care and I'd rather kick some butt, rather than being kicked, at least in my age group...  ;D

« Reply #35 on: 20 February, 2020, 08:39:03 pm »
Do you normally finish in the top 3rd of races? What sort?
I've only done a few hill climbs. I usually finished in the top third of the course, if that's any help.

rob

« Reply #36 on: 20 February, 2020, 08:59:03 pm »
I only ever did one and I was a teenager.   Lincolnshire champs at Nettleton - very short.

Top end power is really not my thing.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #37 on: 20 February, 2020, 11:03:55 pm »
Do you normally finish in the top 3rd of races? What sort?
I've only done a few hill climbs. I usually finished in the top third of the course, if that's any help.

I've only done a few too. Won 3 (club/inter-club) events when I was a real racer and I'm Over 50 HC champ in my current club. I also used to do well on timed climbs in hilly/mountain TT's back in the day.

S2L

« Reply #38 on: 21 February, 2020, 03:08:59 pm »
Quite fancy the HC up Great Dun Fell on September 12... bit of a trek to head to Penrith from the Midlands, but if paired with a weekend in the Lakes, it could be worth it...
I guess it's not the kind of course you get many chances to test in the morning before the race...  ;D

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/19661

« Reply #39 on: 21 February, 2020, 08:11:24 pm »
Won 3 (club/inter-club) events when I was a real racer and I'm Over 50 HC champ in my current club. I also used to do well on timed climbs in hilly/mountain TT's back in the day.
I tended to be nearer last. It's possible that you missed the point of what I said ;D

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #40 on: 21 February, 2020, 08:35:03 pm »
Won 3 (club/inter-club) events when I was a real racer and I'm Over 50 HC champ in my current club. I also used to do well on timed climbs in hilly/mountain TT's back in the day.
I tended to be nearer last. It's possible that you missed the point of what I said ;D

I did 😁

S2L

« Reply #41 on: 23 February, 2020, 12:36:47 pm »
If one, say, was to enter the National but fail to qualify, would the entry fee be refunded?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #42 on: 23 February, 2020, 01:13:29 pm »
I realise it's £28 but given that you don't have to enter until October 6th, this is a bit premature isn't it?

S2L

« Reply #43 on: 23 February, 2020, 01:17:12 pm »
I realise it's £28 but given that you don't have to enter until October 6th, this is a bit premature isn't it?

Yes, but without a clue of what is needed to qualify, one might be in the same position on October 6th

« Reply #44 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:50:12 pm »
If one, say, was to enter the National but fail to qualify, would the entry fee be refunded?

Yes.

S2L

« Reply #45 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:54:21 am »

Yes.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #46 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:59:07 am »
This years' National course:
https://veloviewer.com/segments/729782

Short and sharp.

S2L

« Reply #47 on: 24 February, 2020, 09:46:32 am »
This years' National course:
https://veloviewer.com/segments/729782

Short and sharp.

:sick:

On the plus side, probably a nice tunnel effect with lots of spectators... if they close the road

« Reply #48 on: 24 February, 2020, 12:14:42 pm »
We have mere pimples out here on the Island. Nothing over 70 meters so hitting the big hills when abroad is always a daunting reality check.
The local road racing scene is still largely won and lost on the small ramps though as they break up the races. Basically all the fast young kids break off the front and fly up them while the rest of us oldsters spend the remainder of the race in a futile effort to reel them back in.
There is a three day event each spring that starts with a small hill climb test. Its only 23 m and 0.54km as it flattens out at the top. The KOM was set by a young local guy on the event at 44.3 kph which is about what most of us would get going the other way. He is a sprinter really so had enough power to accelerate and charge over the top. He went over to Belgium for a year or two on a development team and I noticed he snagged the KOM up the Paterburg.  He won a couple of sprint races back then and dominated the road race scene here but anything with climbing wasn't his forte.
often lost.

S2L

« Reply #49 on: 20 April, 2020, 11:56:10 am »
I am still working on the assumption there will be a Hill Climb season in autumn.

I enquired about the National and apparently there are 480 entries up for grabs, so it might be possible to get an entry this year.

In terms of training, I have lost nearly 4 kg during the lockdown and on average I churn out an extra 20-25 watt over 90 minutes. Did PB on both the meaningful two climbs (> 2 minute climbs)  I can reach from home these days... one of them particularly encouraging, as there was a stiff headwind!
A few interesting numbers to work on... 4.9 W/kg for 3 minutes and 8 W/kg for 20 seconds...
If I was able to do 4-5 minutes at > 5 W/kg by September, it would be a good thing