Author Topic: Audio for video DSLR  (Read 2085 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Audio for video DSLR
« on: 09 January, 2017, 03:30:09 pm »
I've been asked to video a friends band at a live gig. In order to capture decent sound I will need to use a recorder. I am looking at getting a Tascam 60D MkII which will allow for grabbing sound desk output, audience and a mic on the lead guitar that usually plays through the amp on stage rather than the PA.
Typical bar/pub gig.

Any thoughts for similar or  less expensive options?
Plan is to sync this to a full band view static camera and to add detail video shot by hand on a different camera using a high quality audio (a key aspect of the video)

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Audio for video DSLR
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:46:38 pm »
All doable. Can be tricky though.

The sound desk output will be mixed for the system, but in the circumstances is probably fine. Audience sound is important. Syncing - there is software to do it. Make sure all the cameras are on the same frame-rate!

Mobius cameras are a great cheap, light way of capturing footage like this - stick one on the keyboard, one on a guitar neck... The wide angle one would be better for a keyboard.
It is simpler than it looks.

David Martin

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:56:00 pm »
I don't intend to buy any new cameras. I have a rollei action cam I can use in addition to the two DSLRs.  Plans are to take L & R output from the sound desk, an audience mic and the guitar feed as 4x mono. Ultimately it will be rolled together as a short video.

I can remix the four channels later in Audacity.

ETA I can probably add a bunch of GoPro like action cams to the mix. Syncing many feeds will be entertaining.

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2017, 04:55:12 pm »
Check that you don't need stereo (or rather two mono) for the guitar feed. Quite a lot of guitarists use two different amps to get a thick sound splitting their signal between them. You might need to mic both amps in that case.

Oh nearly forgot, mic the guitar amps off axis not pointing directly at the speaker.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2017, 05:34:38 pm »
FCPX will do audio syncing, and I've used Pluraleyes before.

I'm sure Premiere will have a similar function.

David Martin

« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
Having spoken to a keen chap at work who does his own audio stuffs, he suggests going upmarket a bit for something like https://www.thomann.de/gb/tascam_16x08.htm. 16 independent channels straight into the audio capture programme of choice. And it can act sort of pass through as well.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2017, 12:06:32 am »