Author Topic: Printing for an exhibition  (Read 1634 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Printing for an exhibition
« on: 11 August, 2015, 07:19:34 pm »
Any suggestions for somewhere to get some prints done, for a small town exhibition. So reasonable price and good quality, not necessarily needing archive quality.

bigger than 8x10
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Printing for an exhibition
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2015, 08:50:43 pm »
I use this lab, with quality results... http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk
instagram / twitter: @bluemcardle

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2015, 08:51:36 pm »
same here. 

Afasoas

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2015, 08:43:54 am »
If you want large/fine art prints I would recommend Framing Manchester. Or even Loxley Colour. I have prints from all three so it's easy to do side by side comparisons.

DS Colour Labs I would not with a barge pole touch. They have grown too big too quickly and it's gone down hill since the former MD moved on. Quality issues (non printed stripes down images, dirt and air bubbles in acrylics), lost orders,  wrong sizes and wrong quantities etc.

I have in the past always recommended them on the premise of good quality for the ££ but last straw came when someone using them on my recommendation received someone else's family photos.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2015, 12:00:54 pm »
DS and Loxley are excellent.  I'm also a fan of One Vision Imaging.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2015, 11:38:57 am »
I have to give DS Colour Labs another thumbs-up.

Just received another batch back (2 day turnaround).

My 12"x 12" black & white prints, on their Museum Matt 310 paper are just lovely, nicer than on my monitor to be honest.

Note. As someone who normally tries to avoid the shabby horribleness of "The Range" discount store I have started going there for my photo frames.  They are only painted MDF (and you need to check each one for chipped paint) but they do save you a lot of money, especially if your prints match with the bevelled mounts supplied.

My penchant for 12x12" in a rectangular frame means I need to have mounts cut specially but we have a local workshop who charges just a few quid so I can frame a 12x12" for about £12 or a 10x8" for £5.

It's taken me over a decade to go full circle and start having prints made again(and "Photo Books") but it is immediately apparent (how did I forget?) that the impact of a nice print beats a monitor display every time.  It suddenly becomes a real thing.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.