Author Topic: YACF portrait workshop at my studio - 29th November 2015  (Read 8954 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: YACF portrait workshop at my studio - 29th November 2015
« Reply #50 on: 27 November, 2015, 10:04:31 pm »
If it goes well, I could well run another in the new year, Roger.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #51 on: 28 November, 2015, 05:43:50 pm »
Change of plans for getting to Charlotte's studio.  The sensible train route is being dug up, and the alternative from Southampton takes 2hrs 22 mins to Waterloo (in 1970 it took an hour and 5 minutes!) so the little Skoda will be pressed into service, and take about an hour and a half if I'm lucky.  Adding the car journey to Southampton and parking costs (as the train just doesn't match up) and the underground to that means it would be a race whether I'd die of old age, or bankruptcy before I got there.  Sad, I try to avoid the car at weekends.  (and I'm not riding Helga, my skills are still somewhat rusty, and the tyres are too many years old for wet weather, must dip heavily into the pockets for a new pair of decent ones.)

Just charged the Sony batteries, I may have to be sneaky and get someone to do a quick piccy of me against one of C's plain backgrounds, to make it easier for me to chop it out in Photoshop to put in a picture of  Mallard, as I forgot to collect my inflammatory T shirt in time for my last visit to York.  Its all in connection with a Twitter campaign about a statue...
Wombat

« Reply #52 on: 29 November, 2015, 08:53:04 pm »
A huge thank you to Charlotte and the models! I learnt so much from the few short hours, and my imagination has been fired up. If you get the chance to go, go! Charlotte is a natural teacher.

Clamshell lighting

After a little instruction, we were allowed to go play

Big thank you again to the models

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #53 on: 29 November, 2015, 09:11:17 pm »
Yes, thank you so much to Charlotte for expert and inspiring tuition, and to the models, who were both interested in the process,  and willing to be guinea pigs for our inexpert faffing.

Great to share the session with skilled shooters like Zipperhead,  too.  I've just uploaded my images to my PC. and some look pretty good, i think.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: 29 November, 2015, 09:36:40 pm »
Well that was a whole load of fun  :D 

Thank you so much to everyone who came along and put so much energy into the day.  I'm really pleased you learned so much and enjoyed yourselves.  Graham and Andrij - thank you in particular for the delicious cake!

I've just had a quick spin through some of the images I made as I was demonstrating and I've done a quick and dirty edit, a bit of rough Photoshop and shoved them up on my site here:

http://www.charlottebarnes.co.uk/151129studioworkshop

As soon as you've all had a chance to do your postproduction, I'd be really grateful if you could get me your files in whatever way is easiest (I like Dropbox for choice) and I'll make up a folder for each participant's photographs so we can let our lovely models see them all in one place.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #55 on: 29 November, 2015, 10:20:01 pm »
Pic 7 is a stand out!

Really sorry that I wasn't there, I guess if I had been things would have blown off the roof here - which was the reason for not going.

Please do another one!
It is simpler than it looks.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #56 on: 30 November, 2015, 01:22:13 pm »
I can third or fourth that Charlotte is indeed a natural teacher, and I did indeed learn quite a bit.  My own portraiture needs are perhaps a trifle restricted compared to what most of us wanted to do, so during the afternoon session I was definitely watching and learning rather than taking pics (apart from those of what others were doing). 

I did indeed enjoy the day, and it was good to meet fellow YACF'ers at last.  Apologies to Andrij if I looked a bit stunned and vacant when he introduced himself, somehow the picture I had of him in my mind just wasn't what I saw before me  ;D  I am certainly the master of the vacant expression, dunno why, there is more going on in my brain than you'd imagine by looking at a picture of me! 

(luckily the pics shown so far avoid me!)
Wombat

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #57 on: 30 November, 2015, 01:33:02 pm »
Looks like a good day for all :thumbsup:. I look forward to seeing the rest of the photos.

Charlotte, if you are running workshop another day I would love to come along. I just have too much on at the moment to take a day out.
Pen Pusher

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #58 on: 30 November, 2015, 03:30:56 pm »
First of all, thank you to Charlotte for being a great teacher.

I came away from the day having learnt an awful lot - even though I know that I can't remember all of it (Gerald had the right idea in taking copious notes).

Charlotte had things so well worked out format wise and taught it so well that the best (other) compliment I can pay is that if I had paid a chunk of money for the day then I would have considered it money well spent.

It was also great to see some folks that I hadn't seen for too long, and to meet Wombat (a Beyer Garratt in his back garden! I feel relatively sane)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #59 on: 30 November, 2015, 07:35:30 pm »
Thank you, Charlotte.  That was an excellent day and learned loads - I'm just sorry I arrived late.  It was lovely to see some old friends as well as make new acquaintances.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:36:43 pm »
Thanks for all your kind words, chaps - that's really good to hear.

Gerald, loving your behind the scenes shots!  Can I use one on Instagram?

« Reply #61 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:06:59 pm »
Yes use away! I have more, that I'll dump on Flickr google photo. Behind the scenes mother lode https://goo.gl/photos/JSmcu5LKTHPjF3MG8

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #62 on: 03 December, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »
On the train today, I've been reading Strobist and their Lighting 101.  It's all your fault, Charlotte! ;D

Maybe I do need a new flash.  And a stand.  And a remote trigger.  And a brolly.  And a beauty dish.  And a reflector.  And a grid. 

Perhaps another stand and another flash?  Yeah, best had, while I'm on... ;)
Getting there...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #63 on: 03 December, 2015, 04:54:09 pm »
On the train today, I've been reading Strobist and their Lighting 101.  It's all your fault, Charlotte! ;D

I sympathise. It was also her fault that I read it too 8).

Maybe I do need a new flash.  And a stand.  And a remote trigger.  And a brolly.  And a beauty dish.  And a reflector.  And a grid. 

Perhaps another stand and another flash?  Yeah, best had, while I'm on... ;)

Yep, all of that and more. Maybe.
Pen Pusher

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #64 on: 10 December, 2015, 09:42:54 pm »
Well that was a whole load of fun  :D 

Thank you so much to everyone who came along and put so much energy into the day.  I'm really pleased you learned so much and enjoyed yourselves.  Graham and Andrij - thank you in particular for the delicious cake!

I've just had a quick spin through some of the images I made as I was demonstrating and I've done a quick and dirty edit, a bit of rough Photoshop and shoved them up on my site here:

http://www.charlottebarnes.co.uk/151129studioworkshop

As soon as you've all had a chance to do your postproduction, I'd be really grateful if you could get me your files in whatever way is easiest (I like Dropbox for choice) and I'll make up a folder for each participant's photographs so we can let our lovely models see them all in one place.

Will any more photos be uploaded soon?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: