Author Topic: Football Euro 2016  (Read 44828 times)

Bairn Again

Re: Football Euro 2016
« Reply #50 on: 11 June, 2016, 10:36:36 pm »
I just saw the last 25 minutes of the England game, England reminded me of some recent Scotland performances - playing well but ultimately not winning (most recent qualification draws v Poland & Germany springs to mind though Russia are a poor shadow of Poland never mind Germany). 

That's where similarities end, England have too much at their disposal not to get out of the group although they may have just drawn with the groups weakest team.    I reckon they could lose to Wales and still go through.  I'd still wager on England for QFs, with an outside chance of the semi finals.  Will improve.

« Reply #51 on: 12 June, 2016, 12:22:08 am »
Good on Bale's Wales for the win.
England looking pretty average. Schoolmaster Roy will be marking them as " must try harder" .

Andrew

« Reply #52 on: 12 June, 2016, 09:15:43 am »
Given their previous matches, I thought England looked ok. Progress at least.

But as has been asked up-thread, why is Kane taking corners and free kicks? Has Roy seen something that nobody else has? They're ok at best. Plus side; it makes me laugh! The way he lines a free kick up, approaches the ball like Ronaldo... and then puts the ball into row Z! It's a waste of a player and I refuse to believe that there's not someone else more capable.

I didn't see the Wales match as it wasn't on the box here.

« Reply #53 on: 12 June, 2016, 10:05:23 am »
I thought England played really well. They should have been about 10 nill up at half time. And that was the problem - they just couldn't finish off all the good moves. I don't know if it was "just one of those days" or because they're actually shit....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #54 on: 12 June, 2016, 06:26:06 pm »
England players tended to lose the plot near the Russian goal. Esp. Sterling.  Too much indecision.  Maybe it's jet lag?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #55 on: 12 June, 2016, 06:51:17 pm »
The German match starts in an hour and I've just seen some headlines in the German press saying it's all kicking off between Germans and Ukrainians  :(

http://www.rp-online.de/sport/fussball/em/dfb/em-2016-deutsche-hooligans-greifen-ukraine-fans-an-aid-1.6042172
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #56 on: 12 June, 2016, 09:22:08 pm »
It's not out of the question that England and Russia could be sent home by UEFA in disgrace just because of the mouth-breathing morons in the streets.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #57 on: 12 June, 2016, 11:32:18 pm »
The only old guard who merit being there are Hart and Rooney.  My son and I just looked at each other when James Milner came on. Crap decision by Hodgson bringing him on. I felt the team were noticeably more shakey at the back after rooney went off. I'm not a big rooney fan but thought he played really well and steadied the team.  I think they'll go through: I predict a win against Wales.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #58 on: 13 June, 2016, 07:43:07 am »
The German match starts in an hour and I've just seen some headlines in the German press saying it's all kicking off between Germans and Ukrainians  :(

http://www.rp-online.de/sport/fussball/em/dfb/em-2016-deutsche-hooligans-greifen-ukraine-fans-an-aid-1.6042172

It appears those Germans fans may well have been Russians who live in Germany.
http://intermarium.com.ua/?p=22607
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 13 June, 2016, 09:25:55 am »
Polite people.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #60 on: 13 June, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »
The only old guard who merit being there are Hart and Rooney.  My son and I just looked at each other when James Milner came on. Crap decision by Hodgson bringing him on. I felt the team were noticeably more shakey at the back after rooney went off. I'm not a big rooney fan but thought he played really well and steadied the team.  I think they'll go through: I predict a win against Wales.

Yes, Rooney was a mainstay - look what happened after he left the pitch. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 13 June, 2016, 03:04:25 pm »
Been tied-up most of theweekend; just watched England + wales highlights.

Pleased for Wales, 2-1 seemed fair, 3 good goals!

England *should* feel verypositive after that showing. It was BY FAR the most fun match to watch all weekend. If they keep making that many chances (and dont get dragged down by negative thoughts*) they will score goals. Could have been 6-0 up before conceding to that very good header. I'm not saying they'll go veryfar inthe tourney, but at least they are fresh, positive and exciting to watch.  :thumbsup:

Meanwhile:
- shocking goal-keeping in many matches. (mainly at direct free-kicks)
- How did the goal-line official miss that elbow in the face?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-39dec-68
- Head-wounds; there's been blood everywhere. How come players arent wearing helmets - this is 2016, not 1966!! Someone will die at some point - probably a child...

*like the ones in 9/10 posts here !!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #62 on: 13 June, 2016, 03:44:55 pm »

Yes, Rooney was a mainstay - look what happened after he left the pitch.

They became shakey at the back and let in an equaliser ?

« Reply #63 on: 13 June, 2016, 05:32:34 pm »
ISTR there's a bit of history between Germany and Ukraine .

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #64 on: 13 June, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »
ISTR there's a bit of history between Germany and Ukraine most of Europe.

FTFY
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

simonp

« Reply #66 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:35:36 pm »
Italy showing how it's done with that goal. Clinical pass and finish.

« Reply #67 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:54:33 pm »
Shit, that's my team. Should I have watched?  :facepalm:

Please, give me some more bon mots so I can sound like I know my stuff in the office tomorrow.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #68 on: 14 June, 2016, 09:45:32 am »
Titanic Russian cockMoscow football official to violent fans: well done lads, keep it up

It's incredible isn't it.

Russia should be thrown out of the competition on this basis alone (and Lebedev out of any Football role).

I don't see anything terrible about fans fighting. Quite the opposite, the guys did well. Keep it up!"
Igor Lebedev, nationalist MP and executive member of Russian Football Union

Is this me being incredibly cynical or could Putin (and his desire for our Brexit) be behind this?.

What chance Ukraine playing Russia?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #69 on: 14 June, 2016, 09:51:13 am »
Titanic Russian cockMoscow football official to violent fans: well done lads, keep it up

Russia should be thrown out of the competition on this basis alone (and Lebedev out of any Football role).

I don't see anything terrible about fans fighting. Quite the opposite, the guys did well. Keep it up!"

Is this me being incredibly cynical or could Putin (and his desire for our Brexit) be behind this?.

And Russia are hosting the world cup in just 2 years time!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #70 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:46:27 am »
Isn't this the Russian fans letting the other Firms know that when they come to Russia, it's going to be serious?
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #71 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:50:29 am »
Well, if any country was going to have state-sponsored hooligan firms, Putain's Russia would be high on the list of suspects :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #72 on: 14 June, 2016, 11:33:26 am »

Exactly the reason they wont be thrown out.  They've bought and paid for the next world cup, and any moves to disquality/evict would be tricky in the extreme for FIFA & UEFA.  Much easier just to send England home.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #73 on: 14 June, 2016, 12:04:17 pm »

Exactly the reason they wont be thrown out.  They've bought and paid for the next world cup, and any moves to disquality/evict would be tricky in the extreme for FIFA & UEFA.  Much easier just to send England home.

Alan Green, BBC Football commentator, has told his employers he won't go to Russia again.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #74 on: 14 June, 2016, 12:04:44 pm »
well, they've been given a suspended disqualification by UEFA. More violence and they are out. (Or told off more forcefully...)
It is simpler than it looks.