Author Topic: Cat butler again  (Read 1886 times)

Cat butler again
« on: 08 November, 2015, 12:53:01 am »
We received a plaintive plea; would we consider fostering someone's cat?
They got a puppy and their old cat can't stand it. Unless the puppy is out being walked, the cat has to be locked in a bedroom or it attacks the cat.

So the family agreed we could 'foster' a cat. Sammy arrived today. Owners a little surprised that he was happy for me to pick him up and sit down with him - I cheated, rubbed catnip on my hands first. They were also surprised that he meows so much - a regular chatterbox. Seems happy, he's purring and kneeding the ancient stair carpet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Re: Cat butler again
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2015, 01:30:33 am »
 :)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2015, 10:43:41 am »
Aww :) Hope it works out for you both.

Such nice people that will reject an established member of the family in favour of a new one though  >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2015, 11:02:51 am »
^^^ Aye. I'm not a great cat fancier but out with the old is no way to treat members of the family.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2015, 12:08:46 pm »
And when the puppy is a boring dog, and they get a kitten, will they ditch the dog in favour of the kitten?

Keep the cat, mr charly. It's better off with you.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2015, 12:47:46 pm »
<looks forward to new entries to the gratuitous cat pics thread>
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2015, 12:52:51 pm »
^^^ Aye. I'm not a great cat fancier but out with the old is no way to treat members of the family.

Well, usually it's a baby, rather than a puppy...

« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2015, 01:13:36 pm »
Well - the cat adopted them, 11 years ago. Moved in (obviously been living on the street), didn't want to move out. 2/3rds of the family wanted a dog. A cat adopted them.

When they got a small dog, the cat tried it eat it. Almost literally, dog nearly lost an eye and had severe bloodloss.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2015, 01:22:34 pm »
Well, in those circumstances... Watch you don't get on the wrong side of it, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #9 on: 08 November, 2015, 02:04:17 pm »
I acquired Milly Cat in a similar fashion.  Well a baby came along and Milly was in the way. Milly has made my life so much more pleasant and their loss has definitely been my gain.  The previous owner have visited.  Milly was confused for a while and then hissed at them and got upset. When they'd gone she followed me around like a little lost lamb.

I'm sure your cat will appreciate not having a dog to compete with and will be a completely different cat as a result. 

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2015, 11:31:36 am »
He's definitely settled in. Has decided that stepson is his preferred companion, although he does come looking for the rest of us now. I was getting the cold shoulder for a while as I was the one who locked him in the kitchen at night (In previous residence he slept on people's beds but I was not keen on that, particularly as he drools in his sleep).
Last night he actually came looking for me at 'bedtime' and went into the kitchen of his own accord; might have had something to do with the cat treats I started putting into his bowl at bedtime.

Nice cat but not really the same as an animal you've raised from a kitten. Heck, our previous cat would walk on his hind paws next to us and hold our hands (ridiculous animal).
<i>Marmite slave</i>