Author Topic: Turmeric  (Read 1594 times)

Turmeric
« on: 28 January, 2022, 08:45:39 am »
Have we had a thread on Turmeric?  Anybody used it  for pain, recovery, etc?  I am thinking of some turmeric for my wife and I fully accept there will probably be a massive placebo benefit.  Placebo is at least helpful with usually minimal side effects.

Re: Turmeric
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:00:26 am »
It's among the placebos I take.
It's supposed to help with joint inflammation- so either it's amazing and that's why I never have any obvious swelling in my poor decrepit knees, or it makes no difference.

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:07:35 am »
Apparently it's the curcumin in tumeric that's anti inflammatory. There are groups that swear by making 'golden paste' (recipes available online) which involve heating it with oil and ground black pepper as apparently this process makes the curcumin available. I find all that a pain in the arse but I made some and froze it in some coffee bean moulds.

When covid left my sinuses really swollen shut and the pressure was unbearable, I had a couple of 'coffee beans' in hot water with honey  a couple of times a day and it did seem to help. Maybe they would have got better on their own but it felt good to be doing *something*. (I could also have taken some of the very strong NSAIDs that I have at my disposal but my stomach isn't happy if I take them too often).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:10:42 am »
So curry is good for the knees? The balti bonus!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:23:08 am »
I think Woolly had a lot of good things to say about turmeric in his recovery from CFS.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:26:24 am »
Yup I have taken Golden Paste. Placebo or not, it is one of the very few things that I felt did something. Out of all the things I tried to sort out my painful hands/arms and ME/CFS. (I tried steroids, antidepressant, pain killers, homeopathy etc cause I was desperate) Not a cure but it did definitely help.

Though a word of warning, I told my mum to try it when she was suffering from something (I can't remember what for). She got a massive rash on her leg and it went as soon as she stopped taking the tumeric.

We also give golden past and or supplement with tumeric to our mutt. And she is clearly better on her legs with regards to her arthritic. Though the drug Librela (only for mutts atm) did much better job on removing her discomfort/pain, it's like we got a new dog :)

Peli's mum is taking it too (turmeric and black pepper) daily and she feel great improvement on her bad knees.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:51:22 am »
I take Turmeric + from Future You . The formulation is supposed to increase the availability. With whatever else I take for osteoarthritis I’d be pushed to swear to any effectiveness, so I can’t really distinguish between any placebo or therapeutic impact.
I keep buying it though.
To do any meaningful investigation I’d need to stop my prescribed medication and that would probably mean a period of enforced inactivity.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2022, 12:44:51 pm »
I use it to make my food taste nice?

« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2022, 01:29:25 pm »
Though the drug Librela (only for mutts atm) did much better job on removing her discomfort/pain, it's like we got a new dog :)

There’s also a cat version – Solensia. My old girl just had her first jab – too early to say if it’s working.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2022, 05:36:03 pm »
I use it to make my food taste nice?

This.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2022, 05:50:33 pm »
Generally, if you have to ask the question is this any good for me? the answer is 'no.' According to the internet, a meta-analysis of 120 studies back in 2017 said that nope, there was no benefit.

This isn't much of a surprise, given curcumin isn't water-soluble, so you poop it all out (this is why it dyes your fingers yellow/orange, clean them with veg oil). Tastes nice though and makes your rice pleasingly yellow.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2022, 05:55:54 pm »
Curcumin pills, £12.99 for 97g. https://www.vitabright.co/products/organic-turmeric-curcumin

Turmeric, good for all sorts of things, £1.79 for 50g. https://www.sweetmart.co.uk/product-tag/spice
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:03:05 pm »
In theory, it would lead to nice yellow poo, but given poo is brown anyway, the effect is sadly lost.

It's not all lies about spices though, you can get off your head on nutmeg if you are prepared to eat a packet or three with a spoon.

« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:05:19 pm »
Like many of these claims, if it actually worked it would have been monetized by Big Pharma many years ago.  The fact that it isn't is a hint at its effectiveness.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:10:35 pm »
Roast spuds with Turmeric, amazing  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #15 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:29:12 pm »
curcumin isn't water-soluble, so you poop it all out (this is why it dyes your fingers yellow/orange, clean them with veg oil)

Or just be more careful ...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:35:18 pm »
In theory, it would lead to nice yellow poo, but given poo is brown anyway, the effect is sadly lost.

It's not all lies about spices though, you can get off your head on nutmeg if you are prepared to eat a packet or three with a spoon.
In Thee Shedde, nutmeg meant, umm, nutmeg, whereas Nutmeg meant recreational pharmaceuticals of various kinds.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:36:32 pm »
Roast spuds with Turmeric, amazing  :thumbsup:
Ooh, noted ta. Added to the oil or sprinkled on at the end?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #18 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:38:36 pm »
I read this many years ago and shared the information with a housemate, who tried it.
He eat a whole pack of nutmeg, three or four of them. Felt sick for three days, but had no hallucinogenic effects at all.
The rest of us in the house merely laughed.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #19 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:05:26 pm »
yes use it a lot, have seen the program, and read of the benefits.   But, and this may be important to some,  it is an ANTI-COAGULANT. I couldn't believe the first time I cut myself, man, did that bleed, 1/2 soaked my blinkin' sock.