Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 249394 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1125 on: 13 May, 2020, 06:42:12 am »
The straw is a bonus. A work colleague gave it to me last year as bought it in for seats at a garden party and I have chickens so could use afterwards. Miraculously it's still around the beans after the winds on Monday. Looking at weather forecast hopefully when it warms up again at weekend that'll be the frost risk gone for the year as was a light frost out on my run this morning.

Going to possibly take advantage of the slight relaxing of advice and take my kids to allotment but they've already been told they need to stay on my plot as normally go a visiting or for an explore and nature's call must be answered at home as our plots by a footpath and the comunial toilets are closed

« Reply #1126 on: 13 May, 2020, 08:44:12 am »
At the plot today:
  • Cut up the remains of the plum tree that got blown over in the strong winds.It was a self seeded one and had grown through some steel mesh which had weakened the trunk near the ground.

Do you still have the stump of that plum tree? Any roots attached?

There was some newer growth from the root, so I've left that to see what recovers.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1127 on: 13 May, 2020, 08:52:24 am »
If you decide you don't like/want it, let me know.  I've already got a few plum / cherry bonsai, and would happily have more
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1128 on: 14 May, 2020, 07:28:39 pm »
I have not grown courgettes before but have 4 plants on the go (all grown from free seed). I plan to have 2 in the greenhouse and 2 outside. Today I potted the 2 g'house plants in their main growing pots. The outside ones can wait til June. The runner beans have come up well 7/8 and will also be planted out in June.

« Reply #1129 on: 14 May, 2020, 09:36:11 pm »
Last week my neighbour fitted new wardrobes and I scrounged the large sheets of cardboard, which mainly kept the frost off my potatoes. I've covered them with it again tonight. Hopefully that will be the last frost this spring, here.

I lifted most of the remaining leeks (I didn't use as many this year) as they were going to seed (keeping half a dozen to provide next year's seed) and planted sprouting broccoli.

« Reply #1130 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:32:49 pm »
Yesterday but I poked some more mangetout seeds into my planter. Of the dozen or so I planted a few weeks ago only two sprouted so I've made some new holes to attempt round deux.

And ordered some wee plastic supports for the ones that have sprouted as I have only mushy rotten bamboo cane and no desire to go to B&Q.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1131 on: 15 May, 2020, 06:41:16 am »
I have a willow stump down my garden which keeps me supplied with supports. Do need to leave it good 6 months from cutting to ensure it's dead or you just plant willow saplings

« Reply #1132 on: 15 May, 2020, 06:46:11 am »
The wind fallen plum tree will supply most of the pea supports for me.

I already have 6 rows (about 40-50 plants per row) of mange tout, and probably enough plants almost ready for one more row!  ;)

ElyDave

« Reply #1133 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:16:41 pm »
Seems to have got away with the frost, just one cucumber plant, one bean, and one already sickly courgette lost.  I've filled the gaps of bean and cucumber with direct sewings, no courgette seeds left, but I still have 5 plants between a family of 4.

Put the Really Red Deer Tongue Lettuce in the ground, will sew some more for sucession.
Tomatoes coming on well, but will wait to end of May to plant the outdoor ones.

Also gave a couple of hedges and trees an annual trim, and a bit of work on another bonsai.

« Reply #1134 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:41:43 pm »
Tool the girls up the allotment for first time since lock down. Was also there first time in a car in two months. They loved that it had changed massively in the time but I've done a lot of time and early mornings up there. Earthed the main crop spuds. Did hit one patch of soil so compacted I couldn't get my spade into it and didn't have a fork. Got the parsnip in and watered everything well as hadn't last week at all as so cold overnight

« Reply #1135 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:42:40 pm »
Final row of mange tout planted, 4 more rows of dwarf bean plants and some runner beans.

I have moved the wire mesh protection from the peas to the dwarf beans, and covered them with some old gazebo side panels to give them a bit of overnight protection.

« Reply #1136 on: 19 May, 2020, 01:37:33 pm »
Went up the allotment before work to give it a good soaking. Need to do something to protect the chard as I thi k it's pigeons are hammering it. Also got peas to go in which will need some protection or will go the same way I fear

« Reply #1137 on: 19 May, 2020, 01:47:25 pm »
Dug over 2/3 of a bed that was covered in foot high grass.

I quite enjoy a completely mindless task once in a while.

Meanwhile Mrs h got all manner of stuff done.
Rust never sleeps

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1138 on: 21 May, 2020, 04:26:37 pm »
Is it too late to plant out some courgette plants on to a balcony.

« Reply #1139 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:20:03 pm »
Mrs h popped some courgette seedlings into the bed last weekend, if that helps.
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

« Reply #1140 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:46:01 am »
no, not too late, plant out courgettes after the last frost is the general guide.  Mine went out last week in April, probably a bit early

« Reply #1141 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:58:08 am »
Whole family trip to allotment for first time in probably 10 to 12 weeks. Trying to put a netting hoop over the remnants of the chard, some weeding watering and started attacking the soft fruit area which was there when we got the allotment as is overgrown.

The nets will hopefully work for a while but need to build something better or consider a poly tunnel or one of those net tunnels but the cost is a bit prohibitive

« Reply #1142 on: 23 May, 2020, 01:19:39 pm »
Dug in a bed's worth of paving slabs on their edge to stop adjoining plot's grass ingress.
Emptied the killing bin (where we drown nasty plants).
Planted and caged next March's purple sprouting.
Dug a bit more of the bed I was working last weekend.
Lots of watering.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1143 on: 23 May, 2020, 07:52:34 pm »
Dug out one of the compost bins (almost a cubic metre!) and spread it on cardboard covering the ground where I will be planting more courgettes and butternut squash out.

I've been taking almost 100 litre, of water, a day, down there in the bike trailer for the last 3 -4 weeks. We has a short sharp shower this evening, but it's already dried up!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1144 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:44:58 pm »
Courgettes have been removed from propagator to bigger plastic pots with covers of cut in half 1.5 litre bottles for protection.

Germinating some red basil, lambs lettuce and rocket. 

The basil is coming along....

Stick some photos up shortly.

ElyDave

« Reply #1145 on: 24 May, 2020, 08:28:01 am »
bastard blackbirds have been at it.  A month or so back I mulched one of the rasied beds with grass clippings for moisture and warmth, and the blackbirds loved it of course.  OK So far, but now the buggers have gone and pulled up the two outdoor cucumbers that were in that bed. 

One might be salvageable, the other is a goner.  Some new seed sewn in-situ

« Reply #1146 on: 24 May, 2020, 02:24:22 pm »
Freshly dug potatoes with Sunday lunch today!  :smug:

These were 'volunteers' (self sown) from the heap where I put weeds and potato tops last year.  :demon:

« Reply #1147 on: 25 May, 2020, 03:37:47 pm »
Yesterday dug up the chard from, and weeded one of the raised beds, and planted out the sweetcorn. This (according to my wife’s diary) is 2 weeks earlier than last years, but I had a business trip to Japan and a long weekend in Bury St. Edmonds this time last year.

Today I cleared another bed. Dug up the parsley, and sacrificed some of the garlics. Then planted out 9 “Big Daddy” tomatoes. Then planted out the Little Gem lettuces at the cool rear of both of those beds. Oh and put some dwarf bean seeds in amongst the sweetcorn.

Next is to sow some more chard (into modules) and try yet more parsley (maybe in a seed tray) as germination has been poor this year. Oh and we’ve sown another tranch of lettuce.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

« Reply #1148 on: 25 May, 2020, 05:33:42 pm »
That reminds me, save some seed from the self-sown parsley.

Over the last few days, sucession sowing of lettuce and pak-choi, outdoor tomatoes into their bed, a mix of Orange Banana, Galina and Feo Di Rio Gordo, cabbage seedlings need to go into their bed as well.   Chilli into their greenhouse positions, one in my son's room for science.

Flowers are coming on reasonably well, but sowed some more marigold and cosmos after finding loads with their heads missing! Found, and relocated the bastard snail!  Also potted on the verbena cuttings, 9 out of ten had taken with very good rootage.  Picked up hald a dozen impatiens for 75p and a bag of gladioli bulbs for £2.50 at Wilko's and they went in random lodations in the beds, soem fo the glads in a pot at the front door

« Reply #1149 on: 25 May, 2020, 05:57:50 pm »
It's been a day of potting on: squashes, peppers, cucumbers, tuberoses, dahlias. Then pricking out some basil. And finally sorting out a basket display of primulas which we won in a raffle back in the winter. They have looked lovely, but have now stopped flowering. I got 21 plants out of the one display which can only be about 12x5".
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."