Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3886418 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22750 on: 24 December, 2019, 09:40:23 am »
Not been and not going,
Bike's clean and it's snowing pissing down again. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22751 on: 24 December, 2019, 06:22:19 pm »
A short ride on the ez3 to Windsor Datchet and and Slough to pick up a couple of Christmas presents. Don't people get stressed this time of the year  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22752 on: 24 December, 2019, 06:26:47 pm »
A short ride on the ez3 to Windsor Datchet and and Slough to pick up a couple of Christmas presents. Don't people get stressed this time of the year  ::-)

Yeah, I did a short ride this afternoon and while the traffic was relatively light, the standard of driving was appalling.  Serious outbreak of MGIF and SMIDSYIJDGAF.

« Reply #22753 on: 24 December, 2019, 07:17:55 pm »
Not been and not going,
Bike's clean and it's snowing pissing down again. :(

This, I'll go out tomorrow it's supposed to be okay then.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22754 on: 25 December, 2019, 04:54:11 pm »
Short urban pootle to celebrate the absence of the Christmas Sodding Market and the general reduction in motor traffic.  Observed that Christmas pedestrians come in three main categories:

Chinese people
Dog emptiers
Young people who appear to have popped out to smoke weed where their families won't see them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22755 on: 25 December, 2019, 05:12:27 pm »
Trundled down to the Cutty Sark for the traditional Xmas Day ride. I tended to hover around the high bike riding Deliveroo Santa (you had to be there) who tried to avoid dismounting as much as physically possible. We cut out the beer stop near Putney Bridge in favour of getting warm at the Beirut Cafe. A good lunch fuelled us for the ride back on somewhat smaller roads. Though the traffic density increased over the day, the driving quality definitely dropped.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22756 on: 25 December, 2019, 06:26:21 pm »
45k round the hills in mud & sunshine.  Now undoing the good work.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22757 on: 25 December, 2019, 07:24:07 pm »
Went out. It was chilly but sunny. There was a lot of traffic for a day when everyone's sitting at home. Drank tea, ate biscuits, chatted. Came back. It was less chilly and there was less traffic. Ate huge lunch (after huge Christmas Eve meal last night), ate cake, ate chocolates, drank tea, played Risk. Gears need indexing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22758 on: 26 December, 2019, 09:11:37 am »
Went out yesterday. 180km, headed towards Goole.

Went down a few roads I'd never been down before which is always nice and getting harder to do.

Stopped at Glews services for a sandwich and a coke whilst I chatted with my mum & various Scottish relatives.

Came back via Epworth & Bawtry. Roads were largely quiet, only saw 1 or 2 cars on the main road from Goole to Crowle.

Finished in the dark & probably could've done with another layer.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #22759 on: 26 December, 2019, 04:46:52 pm »
Only as far as Asda in the pouring rain.  Halfway round the shop when I realised I'd left my wallet on my desk.  So, home again, grab wallet, ride back to Asda and start again.  At least I got some fresh air and exercise.  Past few days have been in te car up and down the North Devon Link Road/M5.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #22760 on: 30 December, 2019, 03:06:38 pm »
A 26 mile run out on the tandem with little Joe as stoker and Mrs. B on her electric.  The 10 mile up-hill, westerly leg to our planned cafe stop was rather hard going, especially with a 10 year old stoker who wasn't particularly inclined towards working up a sweat.

The cafe was closed.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #22761 on: 30 December, 2019, 07:47:48 pm »
That is character building stuff :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22762 on: 30 December, 2019, 08:44:10 pm »
A 4.5 mile round trip for some tea and natters with my pal Penny. Sunny and bright.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22763 on: 31 December, 2019, 01:57:32 pm »
Sunday I went out with The Fridays.

Twenty or so miles around central London, visiting sites connected with famous scientists, led by Charlotte's favourite policeman, Titus. A good mix of people and bikes,  lots of traffic lights and probably one mechanical.

We ended up at Alborone*, Butler's Wharf where I took a Several Glasses of BEER at one end of the bar, while everyone else was at the other. Unlike last year  no bikes were stolen.

Some pics here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pHz8WQhgHgWrRCMz8

*All Bar One as spoken by Jurek.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #22764 on: 31 December, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »

Twenty or so miles around central London, visiting sites connected with famous scientists, led by Charlotte's favourite policeman, Titus. A good mix of people and bikes,  lots of traffic lights and probably one mechanical.

We ended up at Alborone*, Butler's Wharf where I took a Several Glasses of BEER at one end of the bar, while everyone else was at the other. Unlike last year  no bikes were stolen.

Some pics here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pHz8WQhgHgWrRCMz8

*All Bar One as spoken by Jurek.

Nice pics.
I note with interest, that Adrian has gone for the Very Full Set.

*It's Al Baroné BTW  ;)

ETA: Growler refills?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22765 on: 31 December, 2019, 02:09:45 pm »
Secretly Adrian wants to be the next leader of the Labour party.

I note your accents and will use them in the future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22766 on: 31 December, 2019, 02:25:58 pm »

Me TAAW.

No photos, but I finally got some video of everyone shouting "Bollards!".

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22767 on: 31 December, 2019, 02:40:50 pm »
Excellent Bollarding.

I realised after the ride that even though we had a supplementary lecture about Isaac Newton and his work at the Royal Mint, we didn't touch on his Best Invention*, the cat flap.

* the usual amounts of apocryphal doubt are attached to this story.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22768 on: 31 December, 2019, 02:45:46 pm »
I realised after the ride that even though we had a supplementary lecture about Isaac Newton and his work at the Royal Mint, we didn't touch on his Best Invention*, the cat flap.

I did consider mentioning that.  And pointing out that Enigma was broken by Polish mathematicians before the war, Turing's work was on scaling that up to an industrial process, and later the Lorenz cipher.  But nobody likes a cleverclogs.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22769 on: 31 December, 2019, 03:38:18 pm »

I did consider mentioning that.  And pointing out that Enigma was broken by Polish mathematicians before the war, Turing's work was on scaling that up to an industrial process, and later the Lornez cipher.  But nobody likes a cleverclogs.
Well I don't think that is well known even in Poland. A dużo to im pomogło w tamten wrześniu(!)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22770 on: 31 December, 2019, 04:36:59 pm »
I think there's a propaganda factor there.  Colossus was kept secret until some time in the 1970s (Lorenz was still in use well after the war), so the Plucky British Codebreaking Story revolved around Engima, and the USAnians took all the early-computer-molishing credit for ENIAC.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22771 on: 31 December, 2019, 05:17:33 pm »
It's surprising though that Polish governments of various stripes have not taken the opportunity to say, "Look how it was us who won the war before those Brits/Yanks/Sovs <delete and insert according to political preference> even knew it existed!"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22772 on: 31 December, 2019, 05:41:09 pm »

« Reply #22773 on: 31 December, 2019, 06:44:37 pm »
My last ride of the year was to Windsor and on my way back i did the Iceland shopping as I had the trailer on  about 5 miles today  :)
the slower you go the more you see

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #22774 on: 01 January, 2020, 07:06:57 pm »
After a decade of near inactivity I decided that I really ought to get out every day, even if for half an hour....With a recent doctors diagnosis of a borked back and no running or jumping cycling it had to be... thus to celebrate the new year et al off I went...A twenty or so km pootle round the skeggy lanes of central Brittany (only been here a month) experiencing the usual Breton weather (akin to Welsh). Good fun and will continue!  :thumbsup: