Author Topic: Tiny stones / glass stuck in tyre - should I fill the holes?  (Read 1664 times)

I have schwalbe marathon plus tyres.

Small sharp stones or glass gets stuck in the rubber. I carefully remove them with a 1.4mm flat head screwdriver... But inevitably they get more stones
... should I fill holes with puncture glue?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Re: Tiny stones / glass stuck in tyre - should I fill the holes?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2020, 08:25:38 pm »
Simple answer is NO. As long as the cotton (or Kevlar or whatever) threads are undamaged, you can just keep on riding with these tyres. Any glue on the outer surface of a tyre is at best a waste of time and money.

A

« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:09:21 am »
Provided the flint etc hasn’t cut into the threads of the casing it needs to come out, and I then use superglue. It works for me, including on light tubular tyres.
If there’s any distortion to the tyre , such as a bulge or a ripple, I’d normally scrap the tyre. Occasionally a fabric patch inside the tyre and then deal with the cut will work. I’d probably only use the tyre on the rear though.

« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:31:49 am »
I tend to glue any big cuts in the tyre, little holes and cuts are not worth worrying about. I dig pointy stuff out of my tyres before starting a ride, and during any stops, any big holes can be filled in with the vulcanising rubber solution in my patch kit.
Loving life with a beautiful Bianchi.

« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:58:05 am »
IME it is a palliative for the mind more than the tyre.  IME few tread repair methods reliably last more than a few miles before the hole opens up again. If any of the carcass fabric is damaged (or arguably even exposed) then you need to boot the tyre, not mess about trying to glue the tread back together.

Yes, you will occasionally pick up a stone in an old cut, but it almost invariably won't be as sharp-edged as the one that made the cut in the first place, so getting a puncture this way is a very rare event.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:15:30 am »
If you have a big, deep cut you’ll quickly get a puncture in the same place and the tyre is toast.

For small cuts it’s not worth bothering.

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:23:35 am »
I have had success filling bad cuts and holes with silicone. Not really necessary for small cuts and particularly not for M+.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2020, 01:50:23 pm »
The stones had only gone into the tread, and not made it deeper in or caused a bigger split

Thanks all for your opinions, much appreciated!

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2020, 04:24:27 pm »
I glued up holes in tyres about 10 years ago but they came undone straight away so I stopped doing it.